Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoguy View Post
After reading a lot of posts on this site, I decided like some others to just install the Jeep Mopar RV harness on my Jeep. It is plug and play and hooks right up to the Jeeps wiring system by just plugging it in near the Passenger dash area.
Works the rear lights, turn signals and brake lights with no diodes to install, and no other modifications.
With the newer Jeep JK's without the steering wheel lock, one does not have to put key in the ignition or put it in the accessory position. So not much drain on the battery so don't have to disconnect negative battery cable. Vehicle information Manual is wrong, which is the printed book in the vehicle, but after speaking with Jeep techs at their headquarters in MI, they told me that the Vehicle Owners Manual was already changed to reflect that. This is different from the Information Manual in the Car and is shown on the DVD that also comes with the car. If you have an earlier JK with a steering wheel lock, you can just run an additional wire to the battery to charge it from the Motorhome. Just use a six pin connector on the Jeep and run the extra wire to charge the battery. The little bit of extra money for the Jeep harness is well worth it and simplifies the install.
What year is your jeep, hows your harness working for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
X2 I purchased mine through Mopar, as well hoping to avoid any warranty issues on our 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I ran seperate bulbs for our 2003 Liberty. Both installs work great in the application used.
Hi, did your Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness Part Number: 82211156AB work for your 2013 Jeep (Pentastar) engine? I have one on hand but some reports that it does not work on a 2012-2013... TIA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #44

Am I missing something here? I thought the Cooltech harness was completely a plug-in-play installation. How come some of the 1st posts here have a yellow wire that needs to be spliced into the jeep harness?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
DAMN!... These guys need to get their act together, sounds like the left have no idea what the right is doing. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I opened the package but havent installed it yet. Now to try and get my money back.
I won't repeat what the tech and the service advisor had to say. I imagine the dealership ate two hours of the tech's time. Jeep could earn a lot of money providing a complete tow package. Couldn't be that difficult to engineer.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Am I missing something here? I thought the Cooltech harness was completely a plug-in-play installation. How come some of the 1st posts here have a yellow wire that needs to be spliced into the jeep harness?
If you do not have the factory trailer lights on your jeep, it is plug and go. If you have a trailer light plug, you have to splice one wire into your existing harness as well as the plugs. My problem wasn't in the harness or my installation but it was in the umbilical that runs from the Jeep front to the light plug on the MH. There tech support was no help at all. I probably spent 10 hrs total troubleshooting this problem. The ground wire was loose in the plug at the MH, it would ohm through on a meter but was shorting out when put under a load.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm still searching for a wiring harness for the Wrangler and just came accross a Hopkins Towing Solutions 56200, has anyone used or heard anything about this product? It is a plug and play/tow and the price is pretty good.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #48

Found this interesting about the mopar harness....

We Go Far 82211156AB
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Redridge, thanks for finding and posting, the Mopar harness is off my list for sure.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #50

Does the Cooltech harness use diodes? It doesn't seem to but others have said you still need diodes even thought the Jeep has the Canbus system.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Does the Cooltech harness use diodes? It doesn't seem to but others have said you still need diodes even thought the Jeep has the Canbus system.
Did you look here?

Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #52

Quote:
So what is wrong with diodes? They used them for years. First diodes were in the form of rectifier tubes. Diodes back flow of current that can damage other parts that are already wired into their own circuits. Your computer you are typing on couldn' t operate without diodes. It isn't like diodes were designed yesterday. Power supplies can't operate without them.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #53

Nothing is wrong with diodes but with the jeep Canbus system that all circuits have to go through from what i have read you don't need the diodes. With the ignition off I don't think any brake/turn signal that comes from the motorhome into the jeep can't back feed into any electrical components because of the Canbus.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #54

The only down side, if any, using diodes would be the .7 volt drop across them. You would never notice the difference in light output. Maybe bulbs would last longer. JMHO. You would risk more damage without diodes. You are delivering 12 volts from the MH system into the Jeep system that has a separate 12 volt system. I have worked with quite a few electronic systems. I can't visualize how you could build it without diodes. I have always designed my own diode isolation in the past. When I saw the plug & play just seemed to the easiest method. The Trailermate plug & play worked great. The only thing you have to rely on is they used diodes with a back voltage break down of quite a bit over 12 volts. I could have done the same thing with a metal box, & bunch of diodes. A lot more effort & not as clean a job. Just check out the TM781124 at e-trailer. They have a video. Very clean install for my 2012 Jeep Wrangler.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #55

That's where the jeeps Canbus system comes in. The Canbus isolates the electronics from the tail/turn/running lights. The Cooltech harness doesn't use any diodes and i dont think the TrailerMate uses diodes ether (even though it says so on etrailers site). They are just plugging into the harness back at the tail lights because that's basically the only plug in connection available. The Canbus is like a firewall in that it won't allow any current to back-feed into the electronics.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #56

Quote:
That's where the jeeps Canbus system comes in. The Canbus isolates the electronics from the tail/turn/running lights. The Cooltech harness doesn't use any diodes and i dont think the TrailerMate uses diodes ether (even though it says so on etrailers site). They are just plugging into the harness back at the tail lights because that's basically the only plug in connection available. The Canbus is like a firewall in that it won't allow any current to back-feed into the electronics.
I sure would like to know how the Canbus system works. There are diodes, resistors, capacitors, transistors and combinations thereof in the electronics world. Seems pretty simple to use a diode to block current from going in the opposite direction. Is there system more for complicated isloation systems. Seems like running tail lights and turn signals is pretty basic. I googled Canbus isolation and basically was looking at switching diodes etc.