Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #57

well, thats the beauty of the Mopar setup... it literally splits the main harness and uses isolation relays to switch between the 2 voltage source. If Mopar is designing their RV harness this way, they must have a reason to do so... (note: backfeeding)
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
well, thats the beauty of the Mopar setup... it literally splits the main harness and uses isolation relays to switch between the 2 voltage source. If Mopar is designing their RV harness this way, they must have a reason to do so... (note: backfeeding)
Yes, except I was using relays back in the 1950s. Relays are dead now. They use SCRs, diodes, resistors, capacitors, and transistors in micro circuits. I just think people are trying to make this MH to toad hookup way too complicated.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #59

This is quote is taken from another thread here called "Cooltech Wiring Harness for Jeep TOAD" and was said to be a responce from Cooltech.

Quote:
"ALL previous model Jeeps prior to the introduction of the JK Wrangler from 2007-current would require diodes. The JK utilizes a CAN-BUS electrical system. When you "flip a switch" in the JK, more often than not, you are not completing a circuit (through a relay). In fact, when you flip a switch, you are sending a request signal into the car's CAN BUS system. The Power Distribution Module is invoked with the task of making the connection. This combination of CAN-BUS and the power distribution box eliminate traditional feedback - as long as the system is wired properly. We have several hundred tow harnesses on the road and I would venture to say we have the most popular Wrangler harness on the market. We wouldn't have this success if the system didn't work. Note that we also sell a solution for older model jeeps - 1996-2006 Wrangler TJ's. Rather than use diodes and "hack up" your OEM wiring, our solution uses separate bulb and sockets. This too is a popular solution - because it works.

Best regards,
Kendall end quote"
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Yes, except I was using relays back in the 1950s. Relays are dead now. They use SCRs, diodes, resistors, capacitors, and transistors in micro circuits. I just think people are trying to make this MH to toad hookup way too complicated.
Ummm, I dont think so. Relays are very much alive... none of those you speak of can replace the simple electro-mechanical device. Just look at how many relays are in any automobile, MH, jets etc.... they are even making electro-mechanical relays on a nano level... But yeah, I agree... they are making the toad hookup way complicated... the industry standards are in sad state.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #61

I do suspect you will have more failures in mechanical relays than in diodes. That is why auto manufactures plug in relays & solder in diodes.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote