Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Cool Tech Wrangler tow harness

I recently purchased a Cool Tech tow harness after good reviews on here but I am having nothing but trouble. I am installing on a 2012 JK in order to flat tow. After running the wire through the left frame rail and connecting the two plugs from the Cool tech harness in the left rear tail light, everything works except the right signal. There is one yellow wire that has to be spliced to a yellow/white wire in the existing jeep harness. When I splice that wire per the instructions, the running lights get dim, the signal lights both blink but the one that is supposed to blink is dim and the opposite side blinks normally? Using a test light, I have checked signal at every junction from the tow vehicle through the jeep and everything checks ok until I hit the right signal connection , multiple pins int the harness blink dim. Right signal on, I get one wire constant for tail lights and one wire blinking for the signal but the left signal sends everything haywire. I have repeatedly called Cool Tech and get nothing but a recording telling me to email, I have emailed multiple times asking for a wiring diagram to no avail, I just get repeated instructions of how to hook it up. It is hooked up per the instructions and does not work! Anybody else have issues with Cool Tech?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
CoolTech wires

I think I had the same problem on my 2012 JK w the CoolTech harness. It was driving me crazy. I even called the guy who sells the CoolTech and he treated me like a moron. I wired cars and trucks for years when I was working at a motorhome place, so I am not new to this stuff. Finally I remembered the symptoms were similar to vehicles I saw years ago with a floating ground. I ran a new seperate ground from the RV ground to the plug in the taillight from CoolTech and everything works fine now. I don't know if it is because his instructions are flawed or due to the Jeep CANBUS wiring system, but it worked for me.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

Which plug and which wire in the harness? There is a ground run to the back of the jeep to the point the harness splits and has the plugs. Coll Tech customer service is terrible! I would send it back and demand a refund but I have drilled a one inch hole in my front bumper to mount the front plug, a $800 Rough Country bumper! I have wasted a week messing with this POS.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Rodger, I did my install 2 years ago and ran into the same problem as you did, I have been sitting and thinking since you posted what I did. I am thinking that yellow wire w/stripe that you use that blue wire connector to connect it onto the jeep wire was the problem, I took that wire back off and everything worked fine, didn't need it hooked up. Like I said it has been some time and I am trying to remember and this is as close as I can recall. I remember having to tape up the jeep wire that the connector cut into and some tape to cover the end of the wire that was suppose to be used. It is a easy thing to try and just see if this helps you out.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Rodger, I did my install 2 years ago and ran into the same problem as you did, I have been sitting and thinking since you posted what I did. I am thinking that yellow wire w/stripe that you use that blue wire connector to connect it onto the jeep wire was the problem, I took that wire back off and everything worked fine, didn't need it hooked up. Like I said it has been some time and I am trying to remember and this is as close as I can recall. I remember having to tape up the jeep wire that the connector cut into and some tape to cover the end of the wire that was suppose to be used. It is a easy thing to try and just see if this helps you out.
With the yellow wire unhooked, everything works except the right turn signal and right brake light. I am tempted to cut their harness Back at the four wires and install bulbs in my tail lights. It just ticks me off to spend $140 for a plug and go harness and have to rewire it, I could have done this for about $25. Thanks for the info, if you think of anything else I would appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Rodger, pm me and give me your e-mail address and I will send you photos of mine with the tail light out and you can see the wiring and what I did to make it work. After looking inside my tail light I am thinking now that when I hooked it up by the instructions I had problems like you did, the I cut the yellow wire and had no right side like you, Then I wire nutted them back together with the orange wire nut and everything worked???????? I am still having a hard time remembering Rodger.
I just went back out and pulled the right light again and mine is wired up like they say to do, but I did have the same problems as you did that is why you will see the wire nut in my photo's. I just cut the yellow wire in the cool teck harness instead if trying to get the blue connector apart then wire nuted it back together and my lights worked ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07115.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	32994  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the pics Palehorse, mine was wired just like yours in the pictures. I even disconnected the trailer lights which eliminates the single yellow wire per the instructions and I still have the same results. I will email Cool Tech tomorrow and see if they will send me another harness, I don't know what is wrong but obviously something is!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #8

I was about to buy one of their harnesses for my 2012 but I'll have to re-think buying it now with other having problems getting it to work when it's supposed to be a plug in product.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
I was about to buy one of their harnesses for my 2012 but I'll have to re-think buying it now with other having problems getting it to work when it's supposed to be a plug in product.
We installed one about a year ago and it was absolutely plug-and-play on our 2012 Wrangler. I don't know why others are having difficulty, but I hope they get a resolution from CoolTech.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #10

I just installed mine today but have not hooked it up to rv to see if all is okay. I guess I will find out on Tuesday.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send it back and get one of the harnesses with it's own bulb sockets. There's plenty of room in the OEM tail lamp housing for them and it has NO tie in to the Jeep harness. Much simpler concept and dirt simple to install and trouble shoot (in the unlikely event that you have problems).

IMHO, cutting into an OEM harness is an invitation to trouble. There may be some vehicles where this won't work (sockets won't fit), but the Jeep is not one of them.

You'll need some kind of socket on that bumper anyway, I suspect you'd still be able to use the hole you cut.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #12

Emailed Cool Tech this morning and asked for a replacement and was informed that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the harness I had. It was either the jeeps wiring or my installation !
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #13

Are those that are having problems, do you have a hitch and wiring (on rear) ether from the factory or aftermarket? I haven't bought the cool tech harness yet but doesn't it plug into the rear tail light wiring? And doesn't the factory tow hitch wiring also plug into the same connector? I don't have a hitch so I don't have the wiring back there to check. Maybe there is a problem with both being pluged into the same harness together.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran three wires from the front for signals, etc from the MH and used diodes at the rear of our 2013 Jeep. I had to add another plug to the rear of the Jeep to use when pulling a trailer behind the Jeep when it is all hooked to the MH. It all works great.

Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote