Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Having used the cool tech harness on my 2008 wrangler I can assure you there is nothing better out there and they do not use diodes its plug and play using factory connectors I know nothing of their customer service because I never needed it and as far installing it came with good instructions
Would you happen to still have the installation instructions?

I have heard good things about their product, but trying to contact them is so frustrating that I'm thinking I will not do business there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Also, if Cool Tech wants any fuses to be removed, then all they're doing is providing the proper connectors for the extra price, so you don't have to be cutting wires. If no wired in diodes are installed, then, yes, I would be inclined to go with the Blue Ox system as well, which would put be back where I began with this. One could even mount some cheap side lights under the rear fenders somewhere, if thought necessary.
Anyone having to remove a fuse when towing with the Cool Tech product?

Sorry for the edit here, as I misunderstood, by reading the word ....feedback....too quick.
Removing the M21 (brake light) fuse prevents the Jeeps brake lights from overriding the turn signals if your aux braking device applies the toad brakes with the turn signal on.

This is not unique to the CoolTech harness.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Would you happen to still have the installation instructions?

I have heard good things about their product, but trying to contact them is so frustrating that I'm thinking I will not do business there.
Sorry no longer have the Jeep wife was having trouble getting in it so we now have a Ford edge if you go to this thread RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: 2011 jeep wrangler towing 4 down, taillights???? and contac Billarf he may be able to help you when I set our Jeep back in 2008 I got a lot of info from him

Richard
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I saw those posts from Bill, but it appears that he hasn't been around in a while. Thanks, though.

ETA--lol, I just realized that I have been "talking" to you on both forums.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yea I have been keeping an eye on both sites trying to gather info on my new car
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got a email response from cool tech I sent them today asking why they dont need diodes here it is

Hi Richard,

ALL previous model Jeeps prior to the introduction of the JK Wrangler from 2007-current would require diodes. The JK utilizes a CAN-BUS electrical system. When you "flip a switch" in the JK, more often than not, you are not completing a circuit (through a relay). In fact, when you flip a switch, you are sending a request signal into the car's CAN BUS system. The Power Distribution Module is invoked with the task of making the connection. This combination of CAN-BUS and the power distribution box eliminate traditional feedback - as long as the system is wired properly. We have several hundred tow harnesses on the road and I would venture to say we have the most popular Wrangler harness on the market. We wouldn't have this success if the system didn't work. Note that we also sell a solution for older model jeeps - 1996-2006 Wrangler TJ's. Rather than use diodes and "hack up" your OEM wiring, our solution uses separate bulb and sockets. This too is a popular solution - because it works.

Best regards,
Kendall

hope this ans your ques from earlier tropical 36

also everyone was saying that they cant get a response from them well they contacted me within 5 hrs this is the email I used sales@cooltechllc.com

Richard
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I saw those posts from Bill, but it appears that he hasn't been around in a while. Thanks, though.

ETA--lol, I just realized that I have been "talking" to you on both forums.
I had a post ready for his attention and then lost it looking for something else on Cool Tech's site. After a second look, I now see why they include a battery disconnect in their deluxe kit, and it's plenty simple enough to open and close the hood, rather than pulling and re-installing a fuse all the time. Assuming of course, that you don't mind losing any stored data in your radio or it's cell phone recognition.
Besides that, we're back to this business of the 4 pin toad receptacle that won't allow for a Readybrake monitor, so there goes the plug and play feature for those users.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Just got a email response from cool tech I sent them today asking why they dont need diodes here it is

Hi Richard,

ALL previous model Jeeps prior to the introduction of the JK Wrangler from 2007-current would require diodes. The JK utilizes a CAN-BUS electrical system. When you "flip a switch" in the JK, more often than not, you are not completing a circuit (through a relay). In fact, when you flip a switch, you are sending a request signal into the car's CAN BUS system. The Power Distribution Module is invoked with the task of making the connection. This combination of CAN-BUS and the power distribution box eliminate traditional feedback - as long as the system is wired properly. We have several hundred tow harnesses on the road and I would venture to say we have the most popular Wrangler harness on the market. We wouldn't have this success if the system didn't work. Note that we also sell a solution for older model jeeps - 1996-2006 Wrangler TJ's. Rather than use diodes and "hack up" your OEM wiring, our solution uses separate bulb and sockets. This too is a popular solution - because it works.

Best regards,
Kendall

hope this ans your ques from earlier tropical 36

also everyone was saying that they cant get a response from them well they contacted me within 5 hrs this is the email I used sales@cooltechllc.com

Richard
Thank you and finally some tech talk from the horse's mouth and I'm not the only one not getting a response. Just ask Sarah and some others. Do us all a favor and ask them how full their mailbox is and I'm thinking they might be starting from the most recent an working their way back or maybe a lot of it went to spam.
One of my questions to them is what to do about needing more pin connectors for a Ready Brake monitor or other stuff that I'm sure they are familiar with.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didnt use the 4 prong plug i used a 6 wire receptical that had the cool tec wiring and a monitor wire for the brake system
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #38

Quote:
I didnt use the 4 prong plug i used a 6 wire receptical that had the cool tec wiring and a monitor wire for the brake system
Could you elaborate on this a little more? Cool tech deluxe provides a 7 to 4 umbilical cord, so it should be safe to assume the lighting harness has it's mate in the form of a 4pin receptacle. So, did you remove both of these 4 pin ends, maybe having to add some wires and then install a pair of 6 pin mates, buy a different harness, or what? I do like the Blue Ox 7 to 6pin coiled umbilical as previously stated.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Richard
Richard--I emailed that account SIX DAYS AGO and still nothing.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the standard harness and their is no end on it if you look at their site you will see what I'm talking about I just wired it into a 6 way receptacle along with my monitor wire I had bought a blueox umbilical cord set 6 wire it came with the 6 wire receptacle put that on the jeep on the motorhome end of the cord I removed the 6 wire plug and put on a 7 wire
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did find the back page of the install directions where they talk about the fuse pulling Jeep Wiring.pdf tomorrow i can look in the motorhome for the rest
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #42

Quote:
I had the standard harness and their is no end on it if you look at their site you will see what I'm talking about I just wired it into a 6 way receptacle along with my monitor wire I had bought a blueox umbilical cord set 6 wire it came with the 6 wire receptacle put that on the jeep on the motorhome end of the cord I removed the 6 wire plug and put on a 7 wire
Sounds good and I see that now. The 4 pin isn't on the harness and you're saying that both a male and female 6pin comes with the Blue Ox umbilical, right? I already have a 7pin on the coach for the other end, so this would be the way to go, especially when I've already been quoted a 7 to 6 Blue Ox coiled umbilical cord. Just never thought that they would give me both ends for the toad.

Tags
toad, wiring