Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #71

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Yep, I have already signed up at a couple of Jeep forums! I probably won't post much there, but I like to read 'em. We aren't "hard core" Jeepers; just wanted a good TOAD for the moho.
Same here with the Jeep and a good toad, but I usually do develop an interest in whatever I happen to own and have learned a lot from these forums. This particular one is the best I've seen for Wrangler owners and there are some issues out there with some of these vehicles that owners aren't aware of and some that the manufacture won't admit to.
The best thing we like about the four door Wrangler is it's functionality all around, not only for a toad, but as a daily driver that's ready for any and all conditions, whether on or off the road. Doubt if we'll do the Rubicon Trail, even if we do make it out to Lake Tahoe or the Sierra Nevada's again, but maybe Moab, UT and hey, it's nice to know you have the equipment for it, anyway.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
You couldn't ask for anything better than that, so no battery disconnect of any kind and if you decide to use the Ready Brake monitor, then all should be required is the change to a 6 pin receptacle for the Jeep and a 7 to 6 umbilical cord between the units, right?
OK, I decided to have a look at the installation instructions for the indicator light. As it turns out, there is no need to change to a 6-pin receptacle for the Jeep or 7 to 6 umbilical. Here's the instruction sheet for the indicator light. http://www.readybrake.com/instructio...ghtinstall.pdf

Apparently there is a female plug receptacle built into the ReadyBrake for the indicator light to plug right in.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #73

Quote:
OK, I decided to have a look at the installation instructions for the indicator light. As it turns out, there is no need to change to a 6-pin receptacle for the Jeep or 7 to 6 umbilical. Here's the instruction sheet for the indicator light. http://www.readybrake.com/instructio...ghtinstall.pdf

Apparently there is a female plug receptacle built into the ReadyBrake for the indicator light to plug right in.
Now, this is good news and don't know why I didn't come across this in my cyber travels. You really outdid yourself this time.
This will save some money and for me, it doesn't look like I'll have a need for anything Blue Ox, unless they raise the price on the Demco base plates.
As for it's operation, it makes perfect sense and probably a bit much to have even more wiring on the toad's brake switch (kinda what I was thinking) that would insure it was actually braking and not just actuating the surge lever. Good enough for me anyway and it shouldn't take one long to realize it, if it's not working with that much weight behind you.
Thank you again for your efforts and I for one will be anxious to hear the results of it's maiden voyage.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now, this is good news and don't know why I didn't come across this in my cyber travels. You really outdid yourself this time.
This will save some money and for me, it doesn't look like I'll have a need for anything Blue Ox, unless they raise the price on the Demco base plates.
As for it's operation, it makes perfect sense and probably a bit much to have even more wiring on the toad's brake switch (kinda what I was thinking) that would insure it was actually braking and not just actuating the surge lever. Good enough for me anyway and it shouldn't take one long to realize it, if it's not working with that much weight behind you.
Thank you again for your efforts and I for one will be anxious to hear the results of it's maiden voyage.
In case you are interested, all of the NSA Readybrake components installation instructions are available on their website. (Wish CoolTech had done the same, hah.) Now that I see how easy the indicator light is to install, we will probably go ahead and use that, too. (I was thinking there would be a lot of wire spicing, plug revision, etc. but apparently not.) That's what I get for "over-thinking" the whole thing!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #75

Quote:
In case you are interested, all of the NSA Readybrake components installation instructions are available on their website. (Wish CoolTech had done the same, hah.) Now that I see how easy the indicator light is to install, we will probably go ahead and use that, too. (I was thinking there would be a lot of wire spicing, plug revision, etc. but apparently not.) That's what I get for "over-thinking" the whole thing!
You're not the only one that has been over thinking, instead of exploring the website you mentioned for more information I kinda got away from it, as soon as I realized that tow bars unlimited would be cheaper to deal with and I don't think that these instructions are available on their site.
You might as well install what you have there and if you don't want to be drilling holes, then maybe put it on an L bracket of sorts on the underside of the dash somewhere. I have removable black panels on my dash and don't mind putting a little hole in one of them.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You're not the only one that has been over thinking, instead of exploring the website you mentioned for more information I kinda got away from it, as soon as I realized that tow bars unlimited would be cheaper to deal with and I don't think that these instructions are available on their site.
You might as well install what you have there and if you don't want to be drilling holes, then maybe put it on an L bracket of sorts on the underside of the dash somewhere. I have removable black panels on my dash and don't mind putting a little hole in one of them.
I agree. It will be good to know when the toad brakes are applied, in case further adjustments in the ReadyBrake are necessary.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #77

Quote:
I agree. It will be good to know when the toad brakes are applied, in case further adjustments in the ReadyBrake are necessary.
There you go and a nice after dinner project for ya...
Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

I'll get my hubby right on it!!! He can never have too many "Honey-dos."
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #79

Quote:
I'll get my hubby right on it!!! He can never have too many "Honey-dos."
OK, but somehow I have the feeling that you could handle this one yourself, so why not go for it and make him proud..
Old 03-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK, but somehow I have the feeling that you could handle this one yourself, so why not go for it and make him proud..
I'm just the brains of the organization; he's the brawn. LOL!!! (Don't tell him I said that, 'k??? He might strap me to the tow bar! )
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #81

Quote:
I'm just the brains of the organization;...and I can truly believe that.... he's the brawn. LOL!!! OK (Don't tell him I said that, 'k??? He might strap me to the tow bar! )
Either way, I'm sure you're a big help. I know you've helped me out here.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Either way, I'm sure you're a big help. I know you've helped me out here.
Aw, thanks. Be sure to post when you start your installation, I want to know how it goes.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #83

Quote:
Aw, thanks. Be sure to post when you start your installation, I want to know how it goes.
I definitely will and normally would have been done with it by now, as I don't procrastinate, but something has come up that could affect how much we travel and require the toad, so as soon as I know one way or the other towards the end of next month, we can hopefully proceed.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just thought I'd report that we did go to have the coach weighed last Friday, and the ReadyBrute Elite setup along with the Cooltech wiring harness performed flawlessly. We didn't have any hilly terrain on the trip, but as far as highway travel and ease of braking in town, all went well. Easy hookup/unhook, too. We still have not installed the ReadyBrake indicator light, though.

Tags
toad, wiring