Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
If I had to guess your rv is probably a 7 Pin. Umbilical would need to be 7-4 unless you decide to put a 6 on the jeep, then it would be a 7-6 which is what we have.
I have both and choose to go with the 7. Problem is, the four that comes with Cool Tech for the toad end won't be enough for those who want to use the Ready Brake surge system. It's not electrical in nature itself, but has a monitoring unit for inside your coach, that has to take at least two wires. I guess one could do some modification later or even plug in two harnesses running together and both of these sound like an option. As with most things, you have to take a good look at it first and after that, you know.
One could also skip on the deluxe model of Cool Tech and then buy the Blue Ox coiled cord that is a 7 to 6. Then remove the 4pin from the CT harness and install a mating 6. More money!
Any thoughts or recommendations on these ideas?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Tropical--did you ever hear back from CoolTech? I'm STILL WAITING, so I guess we'll go with the Blue Ox wiring kit.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Tropical--did you ever hear back from CoolTech? I'm STILL WAITING, so I guess we'll go with the Blue Ox wiring kit.
Nope, and still can't find out who these people are. My best guess right now, is a family outfit who makes up these harnesses in their garage and have all went fishing or on some other outing.
As for Blue Ox, I like the 7 to 6 coiled umbilical cord. As for their two choices of light harnesses, I'm not overly excited about either one, but then again, I haven't been able to find out what Cool Tech is all about either, but suspect there are diodes prewired into the harness.
Back to Blue Ox, I guess I would choose the separate system and drill into the back of the tail light housings as long as there was room. This would be opposed to cutting the toad's wires and splicing in their diode banks.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I just ordered a Plug and Tow made by Tow Daddy for my 2012 Jeep Cherokee. It's a little pricey but the installation seems very simple. There are installation videos on the website. I called to get information and spoke to the Prez who was very helpful. Give them a call for information.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I just ordered a Plug and Tow made by Tow Daddy for my 2012 Jeep Cherokee. It's a little pricey but the installation seems very simple. There are installation videos on the website. I called to get information and spoke to the Prez who was very helpful. Give them a call for information.
Thanks, I've saved the URL's and will check it out. Didn't see this one in a search I made the other day and thought surely there has to be more that are manufactured along the same lines as one might desire.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having used the cool tech harness on my 2008 wrangler I can assure you there is nothing better out there and they do not use diodes its plug and play using factory connectors I know nothing of their customer service because I never needed it and as far installing it came with good instructions
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I've looked it over some and also see where the cutting of wires are necessary, even though it appears that an apparent diode bank of some sort is integrated in the harness. I also think that most of this design is universal in nature for saving money, since integrating with the proper connectors, like Cool Tech would isolate it to a particular vehicle and exactly what Cool Tech is targeting in the JK Wrangler model years.
Anyway, please let us know how it goes in detail, if you will, as it seems I'm on hold for a while with this anyway.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Having used the cool tech harness on my 2008 wrangler I can assure you there is nothing better out there and they do not use diodes its plug and play using factory connectors I know nothing of their customer service because I never needed it and as far installing it came with good instructions
I think you're right about the product, but the problem seems to be in first finding these people, wherever they may be hiding.
As for it's theory of operation, please explain how they can do this without the use of diodes integrated in the harness somewhere. I for one cannot think of any other way to prevent feedback from the coach's electrical system to the toad and vice verse, so maybe drawing up a little schematic would help some of us here?
Granted, it is a simple hookup for the reasons I've previously stated, in that it's designed for a particular model vehicle's connectors, rather than being universal in nature.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All I know is that if you use a brakeing device to apply the brakes you need to remove m21 fuse or a least that what it was in 2008/09 its spelled out in the directions
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I have installed the Blue Ox system on my 2008 Wrangler. It was very simple and there is plenty of room in the taillight housing, just use a proper sized hole saw and then seal the bulb housing with silicon. The only downside to this method verses the Cool Tech is you do not get sidelights on the Jeep. I too could not get feedback from Cool Tech, therefore I went with Blue Ox.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
All I know is that if you use a brakeing device to apply the brakes you need to remove m21 fuse or a least that what it was in 2008/09 its spelled out in the directions
OK then, so they're saying that once installed, it's not self contained and is being used as a dual purpose system by separating the two from feedback with this fuse. I guess that'll work too, if you don't forget and don't mind the hassle.
I'm getting closer and closer here to making up my own harness using the Cool Tech idea, unless they require you to remove that fuse also.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
The other diode systems out there are ridiculous with their cutting of your toad's wiring and then plugging in the diode bank. If I was to do so, then I'd be taping it up good, so as not for the connectors to fall off.
I've done it on two different rigs, a '97 Jeep GC and our present '05 Honda Odyssey. It's not that big a problem. I've also wired numerous TT's to a car and that's no problem at all. And no, I'm not a car mechanic or electrician!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
I have installed the Blue Ox system on my 2008 Wrangler. It was very simple and there is plenty of room in the taillight housing, just use a proper sized hole saw and then seal the bulb housing with silicon. The only downside to this method verses the Cool Tech is you do not get sidelights on the Jeep. I too could not get feedback from Cool Tech, therefore I went with Blue Ox.
Also, if Cool Tech wants any fuses to be removed, then all they're doing is providing the proper connectors for the extra price, so you don't have to be cutting wires. If no wired in diodes are installed, then, yes, I would be inclined to go with the Blue Ox system as well, which would put be back where I began with this. One could even mount some cheap side lights under the rear fenders somewhere, if thought necessary.
Anyone having to remove a fuse when towing with the Cool Tech product?

Sorry for the edit here, as I misunderstood, by reading the word ....feedback....too quick.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've done it on two different rigs, a '97 Jeep GC and our present '05 Honda Odyssey. It's not that big a problem. I've also wired numerous TT's to a car and that's no problem at all. And no, I'm not a car mechanic or electrician!
You're right, and I can do any of it. I guess it's just that I'm reluctant to be cutting wires on this ....new to us....everyday driver. Just like the idea of plug and play and removing same in a jiffy when I'm done with it.

Tags
toad, wiring