Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cooltech Wiring Harness Issues

So today I decided to install a CoolTech wiring harness on my new Wrangler based on some reviews on this site and others. Connecting the harness to the rear left taillight and routing through the frame was fairly easy and straight forward. Things went downhill from there.....

I decided to change from a 4 pin connector to a 6 pin to allow for a battery charge wire. Using a 6 pin wiring diagram I realized that the wire color/function coming from the CoolTech harness was incorrect. Here is what I found....

Ground-- Harness: brown, Standard: White
Tail/Running Lights-- Harness: Red, Standard: Brown
Left Turn Signal-- Harness: Green, Standard: Yellow
Right Turn Signal-- Hardness: Yellow, Standard: Green

So basically the right and left turn signal functions and wire colors were reversed. The ground and tail/running lights were completely the wrong colors.

I ended up ignoring the color coming from wiring harness and going with the function when I was connecting up to the 6 pin adapter. I then metered out each pin. Example... I turned on the lights and made sure that the correct pin on the 6 pin adapter showed 12v. Did the same with the right and left turn signals (these would cycle 12v and 0v based on when the signal lit).

Why does the CoolTech wiring harness use the wrong wire colors, especially the reversed colors for the right and left turn signal.

I guess their Deluxe kit (the 7 pin to 4 pin umbilical cord) handles the non-standard mapping. (I didn't need their deluxe kit....already had a 7 pin to 6 pin umbilical cable)

It is funny that their instructions also state that there is no standard for a 4 pin connector, which is incorrect.

Would I buy again....no!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had problems with my CoolTech harness and wrote on the Forum about two years ago. I scratched my head and tried different things. When I called and talked to the guy running CoolTech he basically insinuated I was dumb and hooked it up wrong. I then thought back to my old past when I worked at an RV dealer and had similar results with old trailers and MHs. Nearly always it was a floating ground. I ran a seperate ground wire to the frame and connected it to the CoolTech harness and voila, everything worked. This may not be your problem but it's worth a shot.

If I was doing it over again, I'd pay a few more bucks and by the Mopar harness at the dealer.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have one of their harnesses sitting here in a box. I bought it, looked at it, saw it had no diodes, yet was going to be hooked up on a vehicle with a CAAN Bus System. You never want to feed any electrical to a circuit that is digitally run, will it work, yes, but if you are under warranty and loose the computer they can come back and say it was caused by it. I went with the Mopar Harness, it isolates the lights from th CAAN Bus. My thought is in this day and age if Mopar thought they could save a buck and not put the diodes on the harness they would have saved the money and left them out, so they must be there for a reason.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #4

I just installed the Demco wiring harness for our 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I must say it was fairly easy and almost painless . Simply remove the taillights unplug the factory harness and plug the Demco harness in between. The connectors matched and locked perfectly. The diodes are wired into the harness. No wires to cut or splice, and it has the standard colors of white, brown, yellow and green. It was more expensive than the CoolTech, but I hate cutting wires in the factory harness. As for CoolTech's stating there is a lack of standard color codes for trailer wiring, I think they nee to send their disign team to school. Cause somebody didn't get the memo.

Glad you got it figured out. I plan on doing the same 7pin to 6pin setup on mine.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I have one of their harnesses sitting here in a box. I bought it, looked at it, saw it had no diodes, yet was going to be hooked up on a vehicle with a CAAN Bus System. You never want to feed any electrical to a circuit that is digitally run, will it work, yes, but if you are under warranty and loose the computer they can come back and say it was caused by it. I went with the Mopar Harness, it isolates the lights from th CAAN Bus. My thought is in this day and age if Mopar thought they could save a buck and not put the diodes on the harness they would have saved the money and left them out, so they must be there for a reason.
yes, they use isolation relays to use power from the tow vehicles... the way to do it right imho.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

I had one. It was never reliable. I drilled my tail light housings for a second set of bulbs and ran wired. 100% reliable and works every time.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I decided to uninstall the Cooltech harness and go with the Mopar harness to eliminate any potential warranty issues and the incorporation of diodes in the harness.

I tested the turn signals, taillights and brake lights and everything looks good.

The one thing I didn't test however was the function of the turn signals when the brake is pressed inside the toad (supplemental braking).

With the Cooltech harness I have read (vehicle using single bulb for signal and brake light) that when the a turn signal is blinking, if the brake is pressed (supplemental braking) the blinking with change to a solid light (brake light, no signal).

Does this happen with the Mopar harness? I have searched quite a bit but haven't found a definitive answer for the Mopar harness.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
I decided to uninstall the Cooltech harness and go with the Mopar harness to eliminate any potential warranty issues and the incorporation of diodes in the harness.

I tested the turn signals, taillights and brake lights and everything looks good.

The one thing I didn't test however was the function of the turn signals when the brake is pressed inside the toad (supplemental braking).

With the Cooltech harness I have read (vehicle using single bulb for signal and brake light) that when the a turn signal is blinking, if the brake is pressed (supplemental braking) the blinking with change to a solid light (brake light, no signal).

Does this happen with the Mopar harness? I have searched quite a bit but haven't found a definitive answer for the Mopar harness.
That will happen with any harness unless you do one of two things, either disconnect the battery, or install a brake light relay kit. I used an EvenBrake and it comes with the brake light relay.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #9

I had the same problem with a Cooltech harness that I put on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. Cooltech has left and right turn signal wires backwards, and running light and ground also backwards/wrong colors.
Definitely the last time that I will use one of their products.

FB
Old 05-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #10

I pulled out the CoolTech and installed Mopar harness that works great.

Tags
wiring