Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Corvette towing on trailer

Because of my 4k lb towing limitation on my 2003 HR Neptune, my 3100 lb corvette is a better candidate for car hauling than my 4700 lb GMC Acadia. Any input out there about trailer type, ramp length, surge or electric brake,etc would be appreciated. Thanks Randy Anders

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

Remember you need to add the trailer weight to the equation. This could be 1500 lbs or more depending on aluminum or steel construction. You may be able to flat tow the Acadia which is preferable to towing / storing a trailer.

britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will not be able to tow either vehicle without going over

Get a light weight Jeep

More bang for your buck than the 'vette (So sayety the experts.. Can't recall which ones but one of the car magazines does a bang for your buck contest,, Jeeps beat 'vetts, Mustangs and usually EVERYTHING ELSE.)

and a light weight 4wd with manual transfer needs only tow bar brake system and lights to tow.. around 100 pounds tops.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

I find the quality in Jeep products lacking. Especially after doing many repairs myself. Only car I have ever seen rot through a transmission pan so that oil pours out. Lightweight components of IMO poor design.

Sorry, I'll take the Vette any day.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I find the quality in Jeep products lacking. Especially after doing many repairs myself. Only car I have ever seen rot through a transmission pan so that oil pours out. Lightweight components of IMO poor design.

Sorry, I'll take the Vette any day.
I respect your preference.

My 12 JK has 51K after 38 months. Only regular service required. They ain't yer grampas Jeep no more.
Better not test drive one and find out the impressive specs. Not a Vette, but it never wanted to be one.
But it goes places many folks can't dream of, and views and critters along the way.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428370417.189226.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	90762

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428370515.950976.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	90763

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428370692.403685.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	90764
Just sayin......

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
What in the heck are you talking about?!? Saying Jeep is like saying California. THis is a very large category, from old willys to new liberties; you can't make areal generalisations with such a large category. And there's no tranny pan on a manual, and if a tranny pan leaks, it leaks fluid, not oil. Keep your vette. I leave mine in the garage and tow my 2door blazer.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
What in the heck are you talking about?!? Saying Jeep is like saying California. THis is a very large category, from old willys to new liberties; you can't make areal generalisations with such a large category. And there's no tranny pan on a manual, and if a tranny pan leaks, it leaks fluid, not oil. Keep your vette. I leave mine in the garage and tow my 2door blazer.

Pics showed Wrangler

Old 04-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganders View Post
Because of my 4k lb towing limitation on my 2003 HR Neptune, my 3100 lb corvette is a better candidate for car hauling than my 4700 lb GMC Acadia. Any input out there about trailer type, ramp length, surge or electric brake,etc would be appreciated. Thanks Randy Anders

The total weight of the loaded trailer will probably exceed the hitch limit, and the trailer must have a high enough load capacity for the car. That's a tough call to make.
I suggest looking into getting a heavier hitch on the MH, or a car that can be towed 4-down.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

You may also have issues with scraping unless you get some additional ramps. Low to the ground and front overhang may be a problem getting on and off a trailer unless you have a long ramp. There are some aluminum tilting trailers that come in at around 1,500 lbs, which would bring the total in under 5K.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #10

Yeah ... you're pretty much hitting the wall with your max weight restriction. Either kick up that max with a new hitch ... or ??? Don't know if I'd recommend an open trailer for the vette either ........ things can get a lil messed up back there .....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow