Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We are having the whole system installed, blue ox, airforce one, wored, the whole deal. No boxes to put in and out, car wired to rv brakes.

TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went back to one of the dealers that I had originally checked, they matched the Lazydays prices except they said the base plate would take about 3 hours and the brake system 1-1/2 hours. That's a lot less than 20 hours. Everything done, ready to go in one day, aprox 1,000 less than Lazydays and I only have to go about 15 min away.

Jim_ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #17

JMHO: Sounds like Lazy Days posts a low hourly rate to get people in the door then makes up for it with the long hours for repair.

You didn't mention the rate at the shop you chose , but now you know; It pays to shop around.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Jim_ Bob View Post
....The cost of all materials is ok but they are saying it takes 10 hours to install the base plate (Honda FIT) (10 hr @ 89 hr) and another 10 hours (10 hr @ 65 hr) to install the brake system. Total 20 hours = $1,540
10 hours? Are they using a hammer and chisel to break the existing nuts and bolts?

I was pricing my flat tow options, but ended up with a tow dolly instead. A local shop charges 2 hours, (using pneumatic tools), to install a baseplate setup. And, one more hour for a Roadmaster Invisibrake install.

And even those numbers are padded, as I watched while they installed a baseplate on a shiny new 2015 Lincoln MKZ, including carefully cutting out the grill pieces, in about 1hour 35 minutes!

Even the RV service and installation shop with the worst reputation around, (Camping World), was only charging $28 for installation with purchase, at the time!

10 hours of labor is a bit much.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #19
Unless you want to infuse cash into the local economy, consider buying your baseplate and other accessories from hitchsource.com. Those guys know their stuff and have very reasonable prices. For example the ready brake system is on sale for $450. I doubt that a local RV shop is going to give you that price. I installed the blue ox base plate in my toad (Suzuki Vitara) in about 5 hours. They say two knowledgeable techs do it in 3. I will admit it would have been nice to have a helper, but the average Joe can do this stuff if you can change your own oil.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
but the average Joe can do this stuff if you can change your own oil.
I agree. I'm retired and enjoy puttering (when not on the golf course). The cost savings is an added bonus. Yes, it probably took me more time to install my Blue Ox baseplate than an experienced mechanic, but who cares.
2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3411; Workhorse W22; 8.1L; Allison 6-speed
2013 Honda CRV
Portage, MI
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
I had camping world in Mesa install Roadmaster base plates. Total cost was 859.00. I bought a used all terrain Roadmaster tow bar(complete) for 300.00 in Tucson. Planning on buying a light bar and RVI2 brake system. This is all for our first tow which is a 2000 Suzuki Vitara.

sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, install