Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cost of base plate / brake sys. install

I had thought I had found a place to have a base plate installed, Lazydays in Tampa, and all the wiring also install a Smi, Stay and Play system (is that good?)
The cost of all materials is ok but they are saying it takes 10 hours to install the base plate (Honda FIT) (10 hr @ 89 hr) and another 10 hours (10 hr @ 65 hr) to install the brake system. Total 20 hours = $1,540
That includes $178. to install charge line to keep the Honda bat, charged.
That sounds like a lot of hours I can't see where it would take that long?? If it was a total of 10 hours it would be ok? I called them up yesterday and they said again "every bit of 20 hours" Am I right? Or does it take that long?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

What brand of base plate ? Brake system?
Are they having to do wiring on the coach as well?
I've never worked on a Fit , and would have to read all the install instructions, BUT; JMHO, someone is camping on the vehicle if they take that long.
I don't understand the two different labor rates quoted.
Does one tech do the base plate, assemble the vehicle then turn it over to another to take it apart again to do the brake system?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

Really sounds high.
Blue OX estimate is 3 hours for base plate.

Took me roughly 4 hours for full install on toad and coach.
Blue OX plate
SMI Airforce one
Toad was a suburban which was estimated at 2 hours for plate for experienced installer. As a novice took me about the same.
smi took a couple hours on toad and 1-2 hours on coach.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I should have added a little more to my post. The base plate/tow bar is blue ox. The brake system would be Smi stay and play system ( built in system ) The motor home is a georgetown 2014 but less than 2000 miles so it is nice and clean inside and out and it is empty, would not used when anyone was working on it. The Honda is new, 200 miles
When I asked about the hours they thought I wanted it done faster and they said "they could put another person on it" but the man hours would be the same. 20 hours. At the two different rates?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
As I understand it, the 2015 Fit is towable with the manual transmission, but not the automatic. Is your Fit a 2015 and manual tranny?

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #6

Flat rate shop, that probably sets their own times. You won't get any deals there.
Did you look into any other braking systems and the time required to install them. The SMI is perhaps the most labor intensive to install , but 10 hrs.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's manual. we bought it mostly just to tow
Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Sounds high to me also. Bought tow bar, base plates and installation for 1500+/-, though that was a while back. I should think the parts and install would be around $2,000 max. I have the Stay n Play. Bought it used and installed it myself in an afternoon. It works as advertised. Never needed the charge line on mine. It has never depleted my battery, though I only travel about 6 - 7 hours per day max. SMI has great a great help line if you need them.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had looked around the Orlando area. There was a couple others. The material was all about the same. But I went to Lazydays and they looked good, like they would be more particular with there work. Layzydays is one of if not the biggest RV dealer. But being big don't mean they are good. If anyone has any sujustions of another place I would be greatful
Old 04-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replys! I am going to hold off on doing anything until I am sure who I want doing the work
Old 04-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Contact the base plate folk, they will have a list of authorized shops to chose from on their web site.
I had an install on my 13 Tahoe down including removing bumper and all $200. That includes wiring in a separate circuit for the lights in the tail light housing
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #12

Both the Honda Fit, and the Honda Element base plate install is listed as 2 hours by Demco. Blue Ox is similar. I just did my Honda Element, never done one before, took me less than two hours for the base plate. 10 hours is obscene. Find another dealer. oh, just a thought, many dealers charge more/hour to work on a motor home than a car. I was told by one that motor homes are more difficult to access parts, and it takes longer . . . So I asked him, so you charge more per hour, AND charge more hours for the labor, so aren't you double dipping?!? He didn't have a response.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #13

Good thread. I'm thinking about towing with our 2013 Itasca Reyo, which is 25 ft on a Sprinter chassis. We've done close to 30k miles without a toad, but we're considering spending some winter months in an AZ RV resort. My RV folks quoted me seven hours. I'm thinking I'll go to Winnebago's July GNR and have Blue Ox things installed for free.

Or we'll forget about towing.

P.S. If we decide to upsize because we want to do more parking than driving, I think I'd make installing the toad system part of the deal.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just had a Roadmaster baseplate, ReadyBrake & ReadyStop cables, and Roadmaster 154 wiring kit installed on a 2013 Honda CRV. A local truck accessories shop did the complete job for $500 labor!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, install