Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cover for towed vehicle

Hoping someone has advice for the following scenario. I'm getting a motorcycle carrier that goes directly into the hitch. Therefore, it will be on the coach but out in the open. Down the road, I'll be using a flatbed trailer for the car and leaving the bike at home. Before anyone suggests, I'm not getting an enclosed trailer, even though I'd be the first to admit it would solve much of the problem.

So in order to avoid exposing my bike to the elements as much as possible, I'd like to cover it. First question is a simple one, can that be done? I've looked for covers and I haven't found anything that would appear sturdy enough to stay on the bike going down the road. Being on a carrier directly attached to the coach (and not a trailer) would it avoid much of the dirt and other street gunk? Even assuming being directly behind avoids that, I can't stop the rain, so what do people use to protect their motorcycle, or I suppose even bicycles, ATV, etc. from the elements when going down the road??

I've always garaged my bikes, so this is going to be an adjustment, but a necessary one, so any OCD people have suggestions on protecting their toys?
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Assuming it's a Class A (you don't have a description in your signature )
It WILL get grungy from the negative pressure behind the rv, even without the rain effects !

I'm sure you can find a motorcycle cover (for the yet unnamed bike) and just bungy cord it enough to keep it from flapping TOO much - that's about the best you can do...

good luck
Old 08-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Hoping someone has advice for the following scenario. I'm getting a motorcycle carrier that goes directly into the hitch. Therefore, it will be on the coach but out in the open. Down the road, I'll be using a flatbed trailer for the car and leaving the bike at home. Before anyone suggests, I'm not getting an enclosed trailer, even though I'd be the first to admit it would solve much of the problem.

So in order to avoid exposing my bike to the elements as much as possible, I'd like to cover it. First question is a simple one, can that be done? I've looked for covers and I haven't found anything that would appear sturdy enough to stay on the bike going down the road. Being on a carrier directly attached to the coach (and not a trailer) would it avoid much of the dirt and other street gunk? Even assuming being directly behind avoids that, I can't stop the rain, so what do people use to protect their motorcycle, or I suppose even bicycles, ATV, etc. from the elements when going down the road??

I've always garaged my bikes, so this is going to be an adjustment, but a necessary one, so any OCD people have suggestions on protecting their toys?
I am "OCD" with my equipment
Any cover will "Flap/Whip" in the wind during traveling........
I would never think of transporting my "Hog's" unless they were in a enclosed trailer.............They mean to much to me. And when I get where I am going, roll them out.......clean!
You would be better off to transport it, without a cover, then clean it when you arrive at your destination.......
Old 08-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you considered getting a roll of shrink wrap? I considered it for our bicycles that got absolutely grungy on the bike rack. They are now inside the stacker.

I once towed my motorcycle home from the repair shop on a trailer during a snow storm. Although it was only 15 mile and I drove slow the motorcycle was filthy. Next time I leave it at the shop or used an enclosed trailer.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am "OCD" with my equipment
Any cover will "Flap/Whip" in the wind during traveling........
I would never think of transporting my "Hog's" unless they were in a enclosed trailer.............They mean to much to me. And when I get where I am going, roll them out.......clean!
You would be better off to transport it, without a cover, then clean it when you arrive at your destination.......
Ditto

I had been trailering my Harley w/open trailer when we got our Florida home. I still had to work 4 more years and went to Fl. twice a year for our 2 week vacation. Never failed that it got rained on. Cleaned it on arrival. I ride allot and often get caught in the rain, their designed to get wet. yes i to am anal about my bikes, the FXRS has original paint and still looks new.

I did some research back then for a cover and the conclusion was the cover had the potential to do damage flapping around which it will do no matter how well you bungie it.

Now retired for 8 years my 85'FXRS goes camping with us every time, 2010 Ultra stays at home. I have a Ford Ranger w/ supersprings, air shocks and aux sway bar. The bike goes in the bed with a rampage lift. Don't even feel the toad w/bike in bed. Did adjust the rear view camera up a bit so i could see bike.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You're right I should add my coach to my signature. Yes, a Class A. So from the responses so far, it appears there is no good fix for this. I was thinking the same thing about a cover "flapping" around back there, causing even greater damage. I was just hoping that others may have found a good solution. I know they're made to get wet, but going from years of garaging to getting dirty on a daily basis will take some adjustment. Like everything else in RVing, I'll get used to it. Just sucks that's all.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #7

Any cover you put on it (unless it is airtight) will catch some dirt under it and will then act as sandpaper rubbing on your paint while driving. Just get use to washing it.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO there is a difference in the 'wet' you will get between having your motorcycle sitting on a lift and riding it in the rain.

No many will ride in the rain and pull up behind and tailgate a box van. The amount of debris and crap stirred off of the road by the duals and suction of the box is crazy.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

I never carried our Ultra Classic on the back, but did carry a black Yamaha Venture both covered and without a cover. With the cover, I completely wrapped the bike with a sheet and secured it down tight. Then put the Yamaha cover cover on and secured it tight as well. The sheet underneath prevented the cover from scratching the bike and it was pretty clean when I unloaded it. After a couple of years of that, I carried our Goldwing trike on a "Tandem Dolly" which placed the trike on a platform in front of the swivel carrying the front wheels of our Jeep. That worked well for a couple years too, both covered and open. Then we went to a 16' enclosed trailer that held two bikes and a trailer or the trike, a Harley and the trailer. That was the nicest and cleanest way to go if you didn't need a car at the other end. Now, I have a 26' enclosed trailer that will hold the trike and the modified Jeep along with a mini equipped shop. They all got the job done, but in the end, I preferred the trailer.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
DO NOT put a cover on a bike while it is being hauled in any manner, except in an enclosed trailer. The wind will get under any type of cover and the constant rubbing on the paint by the cover will sand the paint right off. I have seen more than one bike where the owner thought covering was a good idea only to discover they now had to have their bike painted......Dirt is much easier to wash off than paint is to apply.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
DO NOT put a cover on a bike while it is being hauled in any manner, except in an enclosed trailer. The wind will get under any type of cover and the constant rubbing on the paint by the cover will sand the paint right off. I have seen more than one bike where the owner thought covering was a good idea only to discover they now had to have their bike painted......Dirt is much easier to wash off than paint is to apply.
This is very true. But if you wrap the bike with a cotton sheet and secure it tight, it will prevent the cover from harming the paint. It worked for me. However, it isn't that hard to clean up a bike that has not been covered either.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow