Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Covering a Towed Vehicle

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all your help in the past.
My new question is; Has anyone ever attempted to tow there vehicle behind their MotorHome covered to protect it?
I just bought a new 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, when it gets nice again in the Spring I am thinking of towing it 4 down behind my Class A motorhome; Damon Daybreak 2005. Do they make specific custom covers for such a thing?
You guys would know.
Thanks.
Bryan
BSheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #2

Take a look at these. Tow Car Shield I've had 2 for my toads, a coach mask for the Tiffin Bus and am going to buy another bus mask for my new 2013 as soon as I get out there. The web site isn't too hot but you can call them and get a lot of info easily. If they don't have your pattern, they will make one for you on the spot and fit it if you take the vehicle to them east of LA near the Ontario airport.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #3

i would not cover your jeep, the cover will flap in the wind and beat the paint to death.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My 2011 sahara was getting beat up back there. The condenser in the grill had rock dings in it, dust and dirt all over, so I installed this protect-a-tow. No more problem even the back of the coach stays clean now, I can't brag enough about it. In oct. we took it on a test ride to south carolina (1500 miles) jeep was clean and so was the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06702.jpg
Views:	1866
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	30081  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
i have towed 2 wranglers a 2010 and now a 2011 about 12k miles no scratchs or other problems jeeps are tough if it were to get scratched go ot the wrangler forums you will find that trail patena is expexted
brianj
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSheehan View Post
Hi Everyone, Thanks for all your help in the past.
My new question is; Has anyone ever attempted to tow there vehicle behind their MotorHome covered to protect it?
I just bought a new 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, when it gets nice again in the Spring I am thinking of towing it 4 down behind my Class A motorhome; Damon Daybreak 2005. Do they make specific custom covers for such a thing?
You guys would know.
Thanks.
Bryan
We use the Road Master Tow Defender. It works very well. Keeps the toad in good shape and stows easily when not in use. Very easy to hook up. I've got 30K miles on mine and am very happy with the product. They make a version for both their tow bars and Blue Ox. Check it out.

Towing with a cover won't work. The force of the air stream will flap the cover like crazy if it doesn't rip it off altogether. All that flapping is bad for the paint! Any grime at all (and there will be some) gets trapped between the cover and the car and acts like sandpaper. I've used some "bras" on previous vehicles and they are just a smaller version of the cover suggested by another poster. You won't be happy with that. Too much work. It's a mess when it gets wet or dirty and will not treat your paint well.

Your toad is going to get dirty regardless of the product you use. The objective is to keep the paint from getting damaged, not dirty.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Never had any problems with a Ultra guard on the back, towing 4 wheels down or on the car hauler
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

Lotsa peeps spend lotsa moolah for such things. I have mudflaps behind each wheel. I get more dirt and chips on my toad from going off-road
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I also have flaps right behind rear duels and a rear flap (1/2 flap) across the entire rear of the coach(photo in post#4) and still was beating the hell out of my jeep till I bought the protect a tow.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I also have flaps right behind rear duels and a rear flap (1/2 flap) across the entire rear of the coach(photo in post#4) and still was beating the hell out of my jeep till I bought the protect a tow.
I've heard the rear flaps can be a problem, vortex winds and such. But I cannot qualify that.

I can only testify 13,000 miles, 2 tiny chips on toad, and that was off-road, going to see sights that many folks can only dream about.

Guess it's a crap shoot.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
IMO the full width mud flap really improves looks on the coach too

I dont get how others are having problems with chips, I mean I DO NOT let grass grow under my feet. But I guess it has to do with how far the wheels are back, how low your mud flap is

I do know I get more rock chips on my car hauler behind my pick up than I ever do behind the motorhome if I even get any behind it
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Dirt and dings... It's a Jeep thing 😊
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
When I was towing my Jeep....I had this made to protect the condensor and radiator.....It just snapped - on......worked well

don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
IMO the full width mud flap really improves looks on the coach too

I dont get how others are having problems with chips, I mean I DO NOT let grass grow under my feet. But I guess it has to do with how far the wheels are back, how low your mud flap is

I do know I get more rock chips on my car hauler behind my pick up than I ever do behind the motorhome if I even get any behind it
With ya.
They are a good way to ID rigs from behind at a distance. Marketing tool, me thinks