Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

CR-V Battery / Fuse questions

I tow a 2005 CR-V behind my MH. I have had intermittent problems w/ dead battery after a long day towing.
I have read posts in the forum that many CR-V owners towing having similar experiences and a recommendation to pull the 7.5A Radio/Accy fuse #8. The owner manual advises to pull the 15A Fr Accy Power Socket Fuse #18.
I understand these must be done after the recommended warm-up / tranny prep procedure.
I have installed a direct batt'y wired power outlet w/ fuse for my supplemental braking system and have run it off a rechargeable battery pack and still had the dead battery issue. I'm assuming there are parasitic loads with the key turned to Accy position.
Pulling & replacing fuses often is a PITA and I plan to wire a fuse in series w/ a switch to make life easier. My questions:

1) Does anyone know for sure what the items powered and parasitic amperage draw is for circuit #8 ? (assuming radio is turned off)

2) Does anyone know for sure what the items powered and parasitic amperage draw is for circuit #18 ? (assuming nothing plugged into the power socket)

3) After pulling the radio fuse to try (unsuccessfully) to get an amperage reading I was surprised to find the radio operated immediately when I started the car - I expected to have to enter the code and reset the time, etc - Is there a separate radio memory feed? - Fuse? Fuse#?

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can tow three days before the battery dies. Are you sure your battery is in good condition. Perhaps a short. While I do not have specific answers to your questions about fuses I am installing a set up that charges the CR-V battery from the MH battery as we drive. It will also charge while you are plugged in for the night. It will solve my problem.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

It has happened after a couple of days with me even with a fairly new battery. I have completely separate tail/stop lights run from the MH so it's not that either. It isn't consistent and I see others report the same discrepancy. There are enough folks with the problem, and Honda recommends pulling the #18 fuse so there must be something to it.

I agree your solution is probably the best - I was looking for an easier way out is all.
Are you installing a purchased isolator as part of the hook-up?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have had dead battery after towing my Honda for awhile. I found this item and began to use it...NO MORE DEAD battery. No fuse's to pull..no worries...just go an have fun. Suggest to give this a try: LSL Toad Charge Battery Charger
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #5

Thanks Steve - I assume this is similar to what Norm has for a set up. I may end up that approach - just thought the switched fuse might be simpler, cheaper and just as effective. I am still curious about the parasitic loads - I guess that's the engineer in me - like to know what's behind it all.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the price has gradually gone up...ya who would expect that! Current price is way more than I paid. But bottom line...I found it more than helpful, it is a great help!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
It has happened after a couple of days with me even with a fairly new battery. I have completely separate tail/stop lights run from the MH so it's not that either. It isn't consistent and I see others report the same discrepancy. There are enough folks with the problem, and Honda recommends pulling the #18 fuse so there must be something to it.

I agree your solution is probably the best - I was looking for an easier way out is all.
Are you installing a purchased isolator as part of the hook-up?

I am installing the same LSL device as mentioned. I think you know more about this than I do---haven't heard anything about pulling fuses.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #8

I did my first tow with a Blue Ox Patriot brake controller. I have a new CRv. When set up the Patriot said the car battery charge was low. I finally got that message to go away by starting the CRv several times. I looked for the fuse to pull but could not see it very well so decided to go anyway. About an hour down the road we finally figured out the beeping in the cab was from the Patriot controller saying the battery was dead. Stopped to check and sure enough the CRv battery was dead as a doornail. Got the car jumped and we drove RV and car separately the rest of the trip. The Honda dealer tested the battery and it was fine. Showed me where the fuse was located.
I am going to try towing it again with the fuse pulled but I am doubtful that will work. Will have to get a separate battery for the Patriot, or the LSL device. The Honda service rep said many people buy a better battery which helps.
Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get the "Toad Charging" device an add it on. Protects both the RV and the Honda and works as advertised...saves time and your battery does not go dead...no fuses to pull...easy to setup. Bonus thought...I did have towing dead batteries...using the device...not had one sense.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #10

Is the toad charging device easy to install? I am mechanically impaired.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Is the toad charging device easy to install? I am mechanically impaired.
Yes...I did it for 2 different MH's. I currently am using my original device. I removed it from the 1st MH and moved it to the second one.

1 device hooks to the car battery, loosen remove the battery nuts and attach this device laying the wiring out so you can catch it near the electrical light plug you should all ready have on the front of the tow vehicle. Fix it in with zip ties. Then a similar device goes on the MH "engine" battery, in the same fashion as above. You may need to drill and add metal screws to secure this. Hardest part is laying out under the MH and attaching the "long" wire to the MH frame work with zip ties...working your way to the rear of the MH an as close to the the light plug (that you also use with the "tow-lights"). Attach everything with zip ties. Avoid hot things, i.e. mufflers. Avoid things that might move, i.e. jacks and slides. Should be easy to see this stuff.
Also the packaging from the seller should have just about everything in it that you need to attach and secure the "toad-charger".
Best of luck and happy trails!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #12

Thanks for the info. Today I thought I might hook up the Patriot to the Honda in my garage and remove the radio fuse and see what happens. If the battery still goes dead quickly I will have to get the toad charger.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #13

I tried for 30 minutes without success to get that damn fuse out. With your hand up under the dash with the fuse puller it's very hard to see and grab it. Very frustrated. Found a longer fuse puller at Fleet Farm and will try that tomorrow. Something like a long needle nosed plier bent at the end would help.
Looked around several car parts stores for some sort of switch for the 7.5 amp fuse there does not seem to be anything available off the shelf. It's too small of a space for a google switch.
Might see if my Honda dealer can help.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

It's easy enough to make a switch harness yourself, but you can but one at RVpartsPlus

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, fuse