Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
CR-V or Ford Fusion

HI all,

We're looking at selling the 05 jeep rubicon wrangler and getting a 2012 Honda CRV or 2012 Ford fusion. My research says both are towable 4 down.

Hate to get rid of the jeep, but wife wants something more comfortable. She's probably right.

We now have a roadmaster 'even brake' system. Might keep it or change to something like an air force.

Thoughts on these vehicles???

bill h
06 windsor

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

Can't go wrong with the CR-V.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I would lean toward the CR-V buts that's just my opionion. I would also lean toward th LX only because, less power options to go wrong. I have seen CR-V's with 300k-400k on them.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

CRV. on our second. I agree stay with the LX. If you get the GPS there is
Talk of the battery running down without removing fuses. Don't remove fuses
And have not had a problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for the CR-V. I owned a Fusion and it was a fine driving and comfortable car. However the CR-V is, IMO, a better towed for several reasons:

1. AWD
2. More cargo room in the back.... we haul a cooler, extra water, dog stuff, etc. in the CRV's boot.
3. Fuel efficient
4. Very easy to prep for towing, especially if you run a charge line from the coach to the CRV battery, eliminating the need to pull a fuse.

The CRV is no hot rod but it has plenty of power. It has great rear seat leg and seat room if you have passengers. Also, for us folks getting older, it is easy to enter/exit. I actually got rid of the Fusion because the floor pan was so deep and the door sills so high that it was not an easy car to get out of.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #6

We've had two CRV's and towed both. Easy to tow and we never had a major issue with either.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
thanks all for responding. I did a little more research and found a 2012 owners manual "version 3" from Ford that said the Fusion is NOT towable. The original owners manual 'version 1' said it's towable. Go figure.

We're leading towards the CR-V. Drove a 2014 today, LX and EX. Pretty nice. Thanks for the input. It's appreciated.

Bill h
06 windsor
Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CRV, just be prepared to pay considerably more. Sounds like you are going used? 2012 model.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Honda VS Ford

We have a CRV and an Element. Both have about 80,000 miles and have never been to the shop for any sort of repair. I do all the maintenance myself.

The only problems we've had towing it were when the DW left the navigation display on, which drained the battery, and the time she left it in Park instead of neutral. I suggest double checking every time.

Prior to the CRV we had an Escape. Frankly, there was no comparison in fit, finish, features and reliability. It was the first Ford we were unhappy with.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
davedeb1

Leaning towards new CRV but looking at everything. Color is important to wife (both outside and inside) so that's a big factor--. She does like the sun roof so that forces us into the EX, at least. Leather and navigation is nice but definitely not necessary, so we probably wouldn't go the EX-L.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #11

For what it is worth, the CRV is rated #1 amongst Affordable Compact SUVs by US News Best Cars:

Top-Ranked SUVs | U.S. News Best Cars

Ford has really gone down hill in recent years, ranking pretty much VERY bottom of every list with every vehicle type and category.

From recent personal experience: As a Lincoln man for many decades, my last good Lincoln was a 1994 Town Car. My current 2009 Lincoln MKS has been a continuous daily nightmare, which in spite of spending a month at a time at the dealer for resolution, even Ford's senior engineers have never figured out how to get it working properly. Many legitimate warranty claims have been with a brazen middle-finger salute.

No big surprise that the Lincoln MKS earned it's position as #13, at the very bottom of the list of 13 for Luxury Large Cars by US News Best Cars.

It will be a loooong time before we ever buy another Ford.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
For what it is worth, the CRV is rated #1 amongst Affordable Compact SUVs by US News Best Cars:

Top-Ranked SUVs | U.S. News Best Cars

Ford has really gone down hill in recent years, ranking pretty much VERY bottom of every list with every vehicle type and category.

From recent personal experience: As a Lincoln man for many decades, my last good Lincoln was a 1994 Town Car. My current 2009 Lincoln MKS has been a continuous daily nightmare, which in spite of spending a month at a time at the dealer for resolution, even Ford's senior engineers have never figured out how to get it working properly. Many legitimate warranty claims have been with a brazen middle-finger salute.

No big surprise that the Lincoln MKS earned it's position as #13, at the very bottom of the list of 13 for Luxury Large Cars by US News Best Cars.

It will be a loooong time before we ever buy another Ford.
Pretty much agree. I bought Fords all my adult life, primarily because I had a friend who was a long time Ford salesman and he and the dealer treated me right. Most of them were good but I did get a couple of dogs.

We know have a Honda CRV and a Toyota RAV4 and the difference in fit/finish and overall quality is apparent compared to the most recent Fords I had.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #13

Love our CR-V, pulls great, easy set-up to tow.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2012 and later CRVs have the most level/flat hatch space when the backs seats are folded of any model. That was important to us carrying 2 German Shepherds. The seat folding mechanics work great too.

We opted for the Air Force One brake system Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and a Blue Ox fuse bypass switch. I also installed a Towdaddy toad light system which did require some wire splicing but nothing horrible. They were bought out by hopkins and I would suggest you look at their Plug-N-Play Harness All works just great. The wire kit should eliminate the need for a brake relay switch if you were to opt for your own diode system or a separate light bulb. The brake relay switch is needed in the later systems because the way the CRV brake lights come on even with the key off. That can screw up your turn signal light operation.

65 MPH towing limit is ok for the most part because I don't go faster than that on purpose.

My brother in law and I installed both the base plate and tail lights in a day. He is the mechanical genius and I just handed him the tools. LOL

Tags
ford