Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Question Critique my tow package selection for 02 CR-V

Only2 is back and seeking advice again. Unit is 2005 GBOY Landau 35T acquired 6/010 - prep for retirement 1/2012. Used locally in northern neck of VA primarily on our lot and for short runs (gaining feel, experience w/Class A) and at some state parks. Preparing now for our 1st major road trips this spring and God willing leaving here in the fall for winter in warmer places south and west.

I have been reviewing posts and comments on towing and have come to the conclusion that since we will not be full time, but rather coming and going, the Blue ox Alladin, the dealer parts department suggested we look for when were ready is likely more than we need, in capacity and cost. Taking advice from a previous post to visit RVUpgrade I am leaning to:

Blue Ox Adventurer Tow Bar - Class III designed for the part-time RV'er that does not tow often and is looking for an affordable tow bar; and the Honda CR-V '02 Blue Ox Base Plate - BX2225. Additionally a connection from the unit to activate the CRV rear lights.

For the supplemental braking system I am leaning towards the Unified Tow Brake, though I am not sure if the MH is pre-wired for it. Does anyone know? I read that many RV MFRs are now equipping units for it, but I have not been able to determine which and what yrs that began.

Thanks in advance for sharing all experience, recommendations and guidance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

Critique My Tow Package

I guess I did something wrong here. 95 views, no cmts. Feel free to correct. At any rate, contacted Blue OX directly and was referred to some very experienced distrubutors/installers in area. Not sure they will install items if I procure them, but asked. Found source that saved me $655 on parts (tow bar, base plate, wiring kit and brake system). That savings will be decreased by installation cost.

Following posts on TPM systems now. Maybe by spring we will have this done.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You have selected good components, so not much to say. Personally, I would have spent the extra $300 for the Aventa LX, for the added convenience in hooking up, but that's a personal call. If you don't do the hook-ups very often, maybe you don't care, but I think I one-time cost for years and years of easier use is a fair tradeoff.

The basic difference is that the Aventa can be moved to "find" the base plates on the car, whereas the the whole car has to be maneuvered to "find" the hitch ball with the Adventurer. Maybe not a big deal, but as I get older, I appreciate EASY more and more.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Critique My Tow Package

Thanks Gary. I should have said in that last transmission that the dicussion w/Blue Ox led to my making the selection you suggested for the same reasons.

I share your appreciation for simple and easy...I am a disabled vet w/bilateral hip replacements. In reasonablly good shape and very good health overall and I would like to maximize this new mobility for as long as I can and not aggravate any of my on "moving parts.

be blessed,

RR1
Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #5

The combination you choose will undoubtedly work. However I would have opted for a towbar a bit easier to use. We were in the same situation a few years ago. No full timing just "a few get away trips" from time to time. As of this writing we're closing in on 100,000 miles on the motorhome, and 65,000+ of those have been towing a Jeep Wrangler 4 down. In the 7 years we've towed the Jeep I would guess it's been connected and disconnected close to a thousand times. W've never had a problem with either operation due to the alignment of the vehicles

Our experience has been that the Jeep gets unhooked nearly every night on the road unless we're lucky enough to get a pull through site. I'm glad we chose a Roadmaster Sterling for a couple reasons. First of all you can hook up and unhook in almost any position. Secondly the bar stays with the motorhome. I couldn't imagine going off road with a bar sticking up in front of the vehicle, and if you dicconnect it where do you store it with some assurance it will still be there when you return. I also like the fact that the baseplate brackets are hidden and pose no problem either off road or in crowded parking lots.

My guess is the "casual user" does far more hookups than the full timers. When you full time you generally stay in 1 place weeks or months at a time. Casual users like us are usually on the road every few days. I hope it works out for you, but I'm betting that within a short period of time you'll be looking for something easier to use.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #6

Critique My Tow Package

Kinds if critique experience sharing I was seeking. Excellent points Hikerdogs. I certainly have seen RoadMaster posts, but have not looked closer. Now I will. I have the winter here in NVA to get this done.

I know there is no "universally right selection", but considering as much experience as I can and relating it to my own situation, I believe will help me make a more informed decision for my situation.

Many thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

I have no affiliation with Roadmaster (although I do like their products). I guess my point was to get something that stays with the motorhome and can be hooked up and unhooked even when you're not perfectly aligned with the coach.

There are several manufacturers making similar bars and all seem to work well for those that have them. Granted they are more expensive, but I believe you'll get your moneys worth. Our Roadmaster bar is going on it's 8th year and has pulled the Jeep over 65,000 miles. I expect it to easily go another 65,000 miles with normal care and maintenance.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Agree with the posts that an adjustable tow bar is the way to go. I have towed various vehicles with the non-adjustable "A" frame type bar since 1982 and only last year got a Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 which is adjustable. I got real good at hooking up the non-adjustable tow bar (99.99% of the time alone) but would not recommend it. The adjustability takes the worry out of being close. Happy Trails.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The Aventa bar stays on the coach like the Roadmaster Sterling and All-terrain models. A motorhome-mounted tow bar is pricey but much more convenient than a toad-mounted towbar like the Adventurer. The Stowmaster model solves the "maneuver the whole car" problem, but still remains on the toad as you drive.

The RM Sterling is an all-aluminum towbar and substantially lighter than the RM Blackhawk or Falcon models or the Blue Ox Aventa. Other than that, all four are functionally similar.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #10

Critique My Tow Package

Taking it all in. Thanks to all. Very good info. Gary I was not aware the Aventa stated with the MH. That is good news. I opined that it had to be taken off the TOAD and stowed each time. That is good news.

Is it typical that dealer distributors will not install if one procures their own hardware? I have found 2 that opted out. They both come highly recommended. They will not give very much off their retail.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the basis of dealer recommendations, I purchased the BlueOx Aladdin tow bar in April of 2006. I have had it serviced each year in January. On the last service last week the tech found the tow bar was worn in 4 separate places. I had used it for about 25,000 miles. I replaced it with the Aventa LX.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #12

Critique My Tow Package

Thanks for sharing Wayne. Just added the annual servicing of the Tow system components to the TDL.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wasn't going to have it checked this year as we have had it every year and it was always good. My wife insisted as we are planning a 8,000 plus mile trip this summer. I am glad that she insisted or we may have had a catastrophic failure. My left arm is weak due to 6 elbow surgeries so I thought the lightweight aluminum tow bar would be a good choice. The tech told me that the aluminum tow bar has a useful life about half that of the steel ones.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used the Unified Brake system fir over 4 years now, same one on 2 different Toads. It's a great system