Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Crslls

So once again the fun with Ford starts. While traveling in hot weather the Ford toasted the transmission. This is the third time. DO NOT BUY A FORD!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #2

What ford, model & year, do you have?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
It might help if you posted the year and model of your Ford.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
2011 Escape Towed 4 down with transmission pump, speed under 60mph, distance traveled under 400 miles with two stops of about 20 minutes each. Each time the transmission cooks it's self the temperature is over 90.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who installed the transmission pump?

Is the pump actually running and do you know what brand the pump is?

Is it 5 speed or 6 speed?

FWD or AWD?

Remco has a special warning on that model car.

Store : Remco
Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
the ford

Remco pump
installed by ford off their parts shelf $3,600 price installed
pump was running.

FWD
6 speed
At the time of installation the maintenance manger said ford strongly recommended a pump. When I bought the Escape the salesman and the sales manager both told me a pump was not needed. My biggest problem is the way I have been treated buy Ford and their people during this entire nightmare
Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 AM   #7

Way back when, we were looking for a new toad and, the Ford Escape was in the running along with a few others. After doing a bit of research, I found out that Ford was having issues with the Escape in a certain model year when it came to towing. It turns out that, there were some folks who purchased an Escape strictly for towing. Some were told "it's fine for flat towing, only to be told "THE NEXT DAY" after purchasing it that, Ford has resended it's promise that it was fine and that it wasn't. Talk about some pi... off people.

Many stormed into the dealership to DEMAND there money back due to broken promises from Ford. The dealerships had no choice but to return all their money.

Then there was the "lower your transmission fluid by one pint" thing that came later. What?????? Ford was saying it's OK to run a transmission low on fluid if, you were going to tow it.

Well, it didn't take long for us to mark "FORD" off the list of potential toads. We ended up with an new 2011 Honda CRV.

I personally am not in favor, of the use of any "pump" to keep an automatic transmission from granading while towing the car. Never have been, never will be. It's a personal preference thing. Yeah I know, there's been quite a few out there that have had great results with the use of a pump. The wife and I simply buy toads that are flat towable without any mods. To us, it's much easier that way.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bought a new 2006 Honda Pilot and had the sales manager show me in the manual that it was towable 4 down.

4 months and 5,000 miles later I found out Honda changed their mind about towing. I called the sales manager and he said bring the car back. They refunded the entire amount I had paid them with no hassle.

That was Honda North in Clovis, California. Made me a believer in Honda and that dealership.

Obviously your salesman and the manager were right....because the pump didn't help and neither did Ford so you are out an extra $3,600.

Are they charging you for the repairs?
Old 07-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #9

I dropped into an out-of-town Ford dealer yesterday. They sold cars and RVs. My thinking that they maybe where up on towing in general and TOADS. Seems like it could be a business opportunity on their part to be experts!

They knew nothing, the person I talked to who sold cars & RVs had no idea that Ford has a Towing guide and to top it off he even suggested that the Escape is towable 4 down - the Ford Guide says no for the Escape.

I walked out.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

We bought a new '11 Escape thinking we'd tow it but Gary decided it was risky so we wound up with a Jeep Wrangler too and tow the Jeep. It appears he made a wise decision!

Sorry about your problem and hope you get help from Ford.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #11

I managed to kill our tow vehicle (2000 Ford Focus) last winter - we were in a hurry, and both DH and I forgot to double check that the tow transmission (it was a 5 speed) was in neutral - we did not get far - burned up the motor - I felt terrible for at least two months as we had to drag the poor car all around Florida during the winter til we could return home and salvage to get another tow.......A trans is cheaper than an engine but good luck with your next tow vehicle. Happy Trails to you