Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 01:29 AM   #43

Cruise always on.. .very useful
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Cruise on, except big hills, then manually shifting. Towing a Jeep Wrangler.
I let the engine/transmission computer do the down shifting for me. It knows the exact moment when another gear is needed. That way I don't need to take my eyes off the road.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #45

100,000 miles in 5 years with mostly cruise control engaged. A while ago it was on. I braked and it did not shut off. Still on cruise. Scared the crap out of me. The cancel button on the smart wheel did shut it off. Now just gotta figure out why he brake didn't shut it off.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
100,000 miles in 5 years with mostly cruise control engaged. A while ago it was on. I braked and it did not shut off. Still on cruise. Scared the crap out of me. The cancel button on the smart wheel did shut it off. Now just gotta figure out why he brake didn't shut it off.

.....sounds like you have been doing the same thing for years of course but how hard did you hit the brake and had you applied enough pressure would not you have overcome the throttle speed and slowed down as well all be it, hot brakes.....just trying to figure out what I would do if that were to happen.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I let the engine/transmission computer do the down shifting for me. It knows the exact moment when another gear is needed. That way I don't need to take my eyes off the road.

More times than not, I do the same. But on bigger hills, I watch the RPM and manually shift to keep engine between 1500 and 2000 RPM typically. Keeps the engine and transmission operating cooler and at a higher efficiency. Pulls the hills much easier. Also, puts me in the correct gears when cresting and headed down the other side.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #48

YES
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:20 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
.....sounds like you have been doing the same thing for years of course but how hard did you hit the brake and had you applied enough pressure would not you have overcome the throttle speed and slowed down as well all be it, hot brakes.....just trying to figure out what I would do if that were to happen.

WDK
With the cruise control locked on, as you slowed, the cruise control would have continued to advance the throttle, attempting to maintain speed.

Unless you shift to neutral or shut down the engine, it's going to fight your braking, right to a stop. Even stopped, it's going to hold the throttle to the floor.

There are a few safety shutdowns in cruise controls to hopefully prevent that from happening.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #50

Check your multi control brake switch. It does Cruz and brake lights. My pick up went bad and that's how I found out about the Cruz!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #51

I use cruise in my Southwind gasser on the level and slight grades. 100 K miles, no problem.
JimColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Yep, take the strain off the foot!
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:23 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
If you have an exhaust brake and are going to use it, turn off the cruise first. you should not have the cruise on and use the exhaust brake at the same time.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgood View Post
If you have an exhaust brake and are going to use it, turn off the cruise first. you should not have the cruise on and use the exhaust brake at the same time.

Not sure I understand why not. I do this all the time. Let’s use 60mph as a reference. When the box is climbing, cruise is trying to keep it at 60. If my RPM drops below 1500, I manually downshift to 5 to give cruise a hand. Cruise still on. When I get to the top, I hit D. Cruise still doing what it should. If the box starts going downhill, it will go to 65 then the engine brake starts kicking in. At this speed the cruise is on but not trying to keep me going. I’m coasting. If I don’t like the 65 and want to slow down more, I just hit Cancel on the cruise and engine brake helps out a little more. Been doing it this way for awhile. If I’m in the Rockies, of course I’m using manual most of the time with no cruise.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It wasn't with the cruise control, but I did have the rear wheels of a Discovery DP break loose on wet pavement. On my first DP in heavy rain outside of Corpus Christi, I had just cross a bridge and let off on the accelerator when the transmission downshifted. I was in a slight curve and the rear wheels broke loose and slid into the oncoming lane. The coach was at a 45* angle to the road when I added power to regain traction. We then pulled back into our lane just before we met a car. My problem was that I had left the exhaust brake on which cause the downshift. Since that time, in wet conditions, the exhaust brake come off and so does the cruise control especially in freezing temps.
I see....

Maybe that's why I've not had that problem, it only rains once or twice a year here in DFW

but boy that first hour or so when it DOES rain and all the oils, etc... have not washed off yet, whew
Old 09-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
I use my cruise all the time. That does not however mean I know what I am doing....... :-D
rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control, tow, towing