Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAN View Post
As we are still new with towing a vehicle, I have many questions about towing. I have been reading the motorhome and towed vehicle manual as well as reading articles and forums. One thing I haven't come across is using the cruise control.
How many of you use your cruise control while towing your vehicle? Is there a problem using it, with the exception of up and down mountains of course.
I always use the cruise control - No Problem.

Enjoy the Toad,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If my engine is running, my cruise control is on when I am towing my toad. It takes most of the stress off of speed control and it makes the trip more relaxing.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #17

Like everyone else I use it all the time.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:57 AM   #18

If your not on cruise how can you get up and get a drink??
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:02 AM   #19

I never use cruise control on any of our vehicles.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use the cruise control on open roads with light traffic only!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I wouldn't be cruising with out it.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #22

I use cruise control most of the time on the highway. For one thing, we can't pull our toad over 65 mph. The cruise keeps me from exceeding that. I don't necessarily use it on hills and not in rain or when the roads are wet.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post

Time to move into the 21st century...
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAN View Post
As we are still new with towing a vehicle, I have many questions about towing. I have been reading the motorhome and towed vehicle manual as well as reading articles and forums. One thing I haven't come across is using the cruise control.
How many of you use your cruise control while towing your vehicle? Is there a problem using it, with the exception of up and down mountains of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evereddie View Post
Because there may be conditions (like going up a hill) where the cruise will want to accelerate to keep the speed even and that can use up a lot more fuel. If traffic permits I will keep the gas pedal down steady when climbing a hill and yes it slows down but will give you the benefit of better mileage. Totally depends on road conditions.
That condition was already covered in the premise of the question. Maybe we should add other obvious situations like driving in ice or snow?

My question is: why would you not use cruise control while towing in a situation where you would use cruise control if you were not towing?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Time to move into the 20th century...
FTFY

And he must be the guy I always get stuck behind on rural 2 lane highways that always speeds up, slows down, speeds up, slows down with no one in front of him.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #26

Thanks everyone for all your responses. Looks like the obvious consensus is no problem using cruise control. I suppose my somewhat slight hesitation was because I am towing with a gasser and wasn't sure if that made a diferrence vs. towing with a diesel pusher.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #27

I don’t use cruise in the motorhome for two reasons.

First, the main reason, I generally drive on two lane roads without a lot of traffic. My MH is a GP (gas puller). An educated gas foot can control when or even if the transmission downshifts on hills (noise control).

Second, the last two threads that I have read on steer tire blow outs went something like this… “I was driving by class A DP when I felt a vibration or heard a noise. I did not apply the brakes. I just tapped the brake to take cruise control off. I could not keep the MH on the road.” So, I wonder if that act of suddenly removing power by touching the brake contributed to the loss of control. I know that I want both hands on the steering wheel at all times if this situation happens to me. I also know that I do not want to suddenly remove power from the rear wheels to take the cruise off.

I use cruise on my other vehicles but never on slick roads. The danger of breaking the drive wheels loose when going up hills can be dramatically reduced by not increasing throttle pressure to maintain a constant speed.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #28

The cruise control can be very useful in the mountains too. While going up the long grades west of Denver on I-70, I find the speed that I can maintain with the throttle and then set the cruise a couple mph below that speed. Pulling a 12,000# enclosed trailer means 38 mph on some climbs. Just set it for 36 mph and relax. When I see the torque load on the VMsp drop off, I bump the cruise up a bit. Works great and am at or near peak efficiency.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control, tow, towing