Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #1

CRV ?

Looking into a CRV to haul behind our 2000 Class A motorhome Fleetwood Bounder now there are 2 wd and allwd which should I be looking at ? My wife doesn't want a stick to drive so Jeep is out and we might be bringing the grandson along time to time. Any help on which vehicle i should be looking into to tow behind our home would be helpful as we are still new and only have taken ours out 3 times. I want to Thank you ahead of time for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Always check the owner's manual about flat towing. A salesman might say something is to make a sale.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...000O00176A.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Why not a Jeep with auto trans? 2 dr has a small rear seat or a 4 dr for more passenger comfort and capacity
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
Why not a Jeep with auto trans? 2 dr has a small rear seat or a 4 dr for more passenger comfort and capacity
Yep. Wrangler with auto trans. Best toad ever!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have moved your thread here from the Travel Trailer forum. You'll get far more views and responses here.

Be sure to check the two "bibles" on what is towable four down. Motorhome Magazine publishes an annual "Dinghy Guide" and the Remco website has a section on what is and isn't towable. There are lots of CRV toads out there but you want to make sure you get the right one.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the CRV go with the automatic, AWD. Not sure what you would need to tow the FWD.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz101 View Post
Looking into a CRV to haul behind our 2000 Class A motorhome Fleetwood Bounder now there are 2 wd and allwd which should I be looking at ? My wife doesn't want a stick to drive so Jeep is out and we might be bringing the grandson along time to time. Any help on which vehicle i should be looking into to tow behind our home would be helpful as we are still new and only have taken ours out 3 times. I want to Thank you ahead of time for any help.
Taz101,
Well, one of the first things you might ask yourself and the wife is, what is the toad primarily going to be used for? A daily driver? Occasional off roading? Exploring? Running around in the city for about 99.9% of it's life? What kind of ride do you prefer? Soft, harsh, noisy? And finally, is gas mileage a concern?

You see, Jeeps and CRVs are basically the top two choices for toads out there. There are others but, those pretty much lead the pack and, everyone's got their reasons for choosing which one they want. We've towed (7) different Jeeps for over a 25 year period. I set all them up for the top quality, maximum capability off roading. Jeeps are great "BASIC" vehicles. In that, they do EVERYTHING, ok.

But, even in the bone stock configuration, they have a harsher ride than CRVs. They get worse gas mileage than CRVs. They are more primitive, than CRVs. The newest models have some pretty fair improvements over even some just a few years old. But, they're still heavier than a CRV. If you want a great, all around, do just about anything vehicle, than you can get a Jeep, in a stick or an auto and both are flat towable, with very few exceptions.

The Honda CRV has a great reputation. There's only a zillion out there being used as toads. I don't know about the first generation but, the later ones, are all automatic. And, for quite some time, Honda's made both the 2-WD and the 4-WD or, "ALL WHEEL DRIVE" models, all flat towable. Setting either the Jeep or the CRV up for towing is not hard. A good Honda Tech (like the one I have across from our home) can have the entire front end off the car) in prep for the addition of the base plate, in about FOUR MINUTES! I know, 'cause I watched him do it on our '11 CRV EX-L.

I set all our Jeeps up for towing. I never used any commercially sold base plate due to the fact that always built my own bumpers and incorporated towing components into them. Now, when it comes to prepping for hookup and towing them down the road behind your RV, both are about equal in terms of steps you need to do prior to towing.

The CRV is going to be lighter. Not by all that much but, still lighter. ALL of our Jeeps were way over 4,000 lbs. The CRV was supposed to weigh 3200, according to the Dinghy Towing Guide. Well, that's a bit off too. I had ours weighed at a commercial certified scale and it was right at, 3,700 lbs. The CRV is going to get you better mileage, ride better, quieter, and more creature comforts. Based on both stock machines, the CRV is going to be a bit lower to the ground so, ease of access and departure may be a bit of hedge over the Jeep, if that's an important point to you or your wife.

However, if you plan on any exploration in off road conditions, on any type of regular frequency, the all wheel drive CRV can do some, but is very limited. The Jeep will surpass in that qualification immensely.

We had both, we've towed both, we've driven both for distances, we've driven both around town. It's really a toss-up. Both have good and bad points. Both have pretty good resale value. Both will get you from point A to point B. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey...

We also did the research and we sat in the Jeeps and CRVs until hubby was ready to trade me in for a younger model...LOL!!! WHen all was said and done, we decided on the CRV. It is a lighter vehicle (although our Revolution could pull something much heavier), but I also wanted the better gas mileage when we were driving the toad. The CRV is my daily car and I love it! It has enough room for us and the two pups and the occasional grandkids.

It is also remarkably easy to set up to "drag" along. I have a set routine to get it hooked up and ready to tow and from pulling up behind the RV to running down the highway, it takes me about 15 minutes. I still have a written check-list that I pull out of the glove-box whenever I do this. Heck...pilots have a checklist, and I will have this beside me even though most times I do not need it but it is always good to doublecheck everything.

Whatever vehicle you decide on, get very good advice on how to attach and detach prior to towing. Have a fellow RV'er show you and ride with you for a few miles to get you used to it. Then make sure that your back up camera is on and you see it tracking correctly behind you....If it is gone...drive away like crazy....LOL!!!!

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
The profits from the Jeep stay in the USA; the CRV profits arrive in Tokyo. Never mind where they are built, or assembled. Buy American!
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Taz101...well we do have a 2010 Honda-CRV AWD EX-L. Bought new from the dealer. 2014 are hitting the showroom...an a few 2013 maybe still be available if you look around. By the way all Honda CRV's are now automatic...unless you buy a older model (back at least 6 years or more). It works great, tows behind the MH great, love the ride, easy to use and get into (for the older guy). Also...there is NO issues with the AWD vs the 2 WD for towing the CRV...that I am aware of. Honda's AWD feature stays "off" unless the driving system "senses" wheel slippage AN then the back wheels work.
I see from your posts you are fairly new to IRV2...welcome! Come back often. You can also do a "Search" of the forum...for others who have also asked a similar question or concern. Lots of folks have moved to the CRV...an by searching you can read what others have been thorough.
Best of luck with your decision...AN Happy Trails!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post
The profits from the Jeep stay in the USA; the CRV profits arrive in Tokyo. Never mind where they are built, or assembled. Buy American!
It's a world economy. Jeep has much lower quality/reliability ratings, and lower mpg. Buy a Jeep, give more to overseas oil companies. Chrysler and Jeep's majority owner is Fiat (Italy) It went into bankruptcy in '09 and was owned by United Auto Workers pension fund, Fiat, and the U.S. and Canadian governments as principal owners. Since then Fiat has bought out the other shareholders. Jeep is made with 22% overseas parts, Honda CR-V 40%.

I remember your kind of thinking in the '50's and '60's when auto workers would bash foreign cars with sledge hammers. Too bad they didn't put that energy into building better vehicles. A Honda will lead to lower fuel and repair costs, so if you don't mind paying more down the road, do as you please.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted a Wrangler, but never found one I could afford. Then I had a CR-V kinda fall into my lap. I was able to do all the setup myself; total cost for baseplate, tow bar with built-in brake, cables & accessories was just under $1600. The CR-V is a great toad.

As others have advised, just check to make sure whatever you buy is towable 4-down.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

Does anyone pull a Trailblazer 4x4(2001) four down?? A friend has one for sale really )low mile, excellent condition. Her son says the trans can be put in neutral for 4-down towing by holding down some buttons and shifting thru the gears. Never heard of that. Anyone??
Old 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #14

Isn't the GMC terrain also comparable to a crv? Just some food for thought. I like wrangler but would go for a crv or terrain for one reason, in my friends wrangler (yj and tj) I look at the top of the windshield bar.not through the windshield, I have to recline quite a bit when roof ids up neither would be safe for driving.

Basically it is jeep for off-roading and fire service roads, crv and terrain for car-like attributes plus traction. I'll need to look at the new Cherokee wheni comes out.

For 7 passengers I love the ease of entry, the no way a rugrat can kick the back of the seat, the tech goodies, the seat of the pants acceleration of the flex. No way an off roader, I love it head and shoulders over the 09 Chevy trajesty I traded in. It weighs a little more but I find it more comfortable then our 07 lexy.