Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CRV Baseplate Install

Has anybody here installed their own Roadmaster baseplate on a Honda CRV? How difficult was it?

If you paid someone to do it, who? And what's a reasonable price?

Thanks,
MP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #2

what year?

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2008. I've read the instructions and it looks like something I could do in my driveway.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Installing Baseplate on CRV Honda.

I installed on my 2006 Honda CR-V, and as I recall it took about 3 hrs. I don't imagine the 2008 model would be much different. Much more difficult was routing the wiring thru the CR-V to feed the toad tail lights. I installed the diode-type lights, but if I had to do again I would wire to separate light bulbs. Much less complicated, easier to troubleshoot.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Roadmaster base plate on our CR-V 2004, and it was not all that difficult. I don't know how significant the basic frame and structural changes may be between the 2004 to the 2008 beyond simply cosmetic, so can't speak for sure that my experience is representative of what you might face with the same project. That said with my install it was a matter of dismantling the front end, removing one cross member, bolting the base plate in its place and reassembling. Most of the body parts you will remove are held on by plastic fasteners that are designed to use only once. When removing them, even carefully, quite a few of them broke. I went to a large auto body shop in town and bought a handful of the two or three different sizes I needed to reassemble. I do remember there was a point when I was ready to install the base plate that I was completely befuddled where the pictures and description left me puzzled as to just how the base plate bolted on. It was like, "oh, this can't be right, there is no way this works!!" Then it was like, ''oh, duh, this comes off and it bolts on here!" I took my time and took the good part of one Saturday, and I am sure a shop that does this kind of install more frequently than once would do it much quicker, but hey, the price was right.

The short answer is yes, if you are at all mechanically inclined you certainly could do it yourself. It may take a little time, but it is pretty straight forward, and in the end you will have the personal satisfaction of having done it yourself, and saved the cost of having someone else do the install. Now if that isn't important, and/or you don't have the time and would just as soon have someone else do it for a price then that works too. Someone else may have to give some cost figures for such an install to help decide which way you might want to go if you are still on the fence.

Have you decided which way you are going to go on the wiring for lights? I took that project on also, so if you are considering doing the wiring yourself, been there done that, and might be able to answer your questions should you have any. I have previously posted on the wiring installation that I did on the CR-V. Not sure how to reference that post here, but if interested I'm sure you could find it on a search.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
I did mine on our 07 CRV. Like others have mentioned, not all that hard, but slow since I'd never done it. The instructions were a bit confusing, but figured it out. I had my lights hooked up to separate bulbs, done by a local RV shop. Unlike the 06 and earlier models you have to cut the plastic bumper shroud to fit. Again, not hard, but permanent.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks!

I've had some experiences with the plastic clips. You're right, they almost always break so I'll be hitting the dealership for a complete set of new ones. What Honda wants for them is outrageous!

MP
Old 07-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #8

Did an '06 Honda in the Driveway. Just took my time and made a nice afternoon out of it.

I didn't mess with the diodes, but instead installed tow lights in the unused red reflector in the rear and straight to the coach.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Thanks!

I've had some experiences with the plastic clips. You're right, they almost always break so I'll be hitting the dealership for a complete set of new ones. What Honda wants for them is outrageous!

MP
That's why I went to a local body shop. They buy them in bulk, and don't normally price them out our sell them individually, so they just said, ok, how about $5.00 bucks for what I wanted. I had already had found them on line and knew that was more than fair. Also I had quite a few that I got out without breaking so didn't need a whole set.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Muddypaws:
Regarding lights for the toad. I know there are a number of different opinions and schools of thought regarding mounting separate lights in the toad tail light lens modules or using diodes with the existing lights. Some of this centers around warranty concerns or concerns about creating electrical problems with the vehicle if the lighting is not kept separate, or simply for simplicity of installation. For this everyone has to make there own decision. I chose to use diodes and the existing lights. I wanted the toad lighting to mirror or display the exact lighting functions when towed as displayed when driven, and I didn't like the idea of drilling into the taillight modules and attempting to mount three separate lights in each unit (or two, if you reverted back to a 'combined' lighting configuration for the toad). There is room in each light module for the diodes and it made a very neat installation that has worked well with no electrical problems.

The two main questions for me when tackling the wiring was where to run the wires and how to get through the firewall with the wiring! Here is what I found and did which may help point you in the right direction if you choose to do the wiring yourself.

Regarding getting the wiring from the front of the toad to the rear lights there are several options. I wanted as clean and neat an installation as possible and chose to locate and follow the existing wiring run. I did not want to run wiring outside underneath the vehicle, and I didn't want to drill any new holes in panels, framework or firewall. On our 2004 CR-V the wiring loom runs in a channel or wire race along both the left and right side of the vehicle accessible from the interior of the vehicle by removing the edge molding and lifting up the carpet. I ran the wiring on the left side (driver's side) of the vehicle which gave a direct route to the point in the firewall where you can access the engine compartment.

At this point the wiring loom goes through the firewall through a large rubber grommet or boot just behind the gas pedal. It is not very obvious. If they haven't changed this arrangement through the model years this 'through point' is behind a molded plastic 'foot rest' under the carpet behind the gas pedal. Remove this molded plastic piece and the rubber boot is on the firewall near the top of this location with the wire loom running through it. From there it is a matter of neatly routing the wiring to the front of the vehicle through the engine compartment. You come through the firewall left of center and so the most logical route was to the left side behind the wheel well to the grill location to the plug mount incorporated in the Roadmaster base plate.

Good luck on your project and report back on how it goes.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a BlueOX base plate on my 2008 CR-V took my all day only because I had to run out to get drill bits and saw blades. However, the CRV is fairly easy to do this install. The BlueOX required removing the front fascia and then cutting some of the bumper support. I also accidently nicked the power steering plumbing which runs underneath the radiator. End result, my install is still holding up after almost 2 years and has never come loose. Roadmaster maybe easier, see Motorhome Magazine August 2011, there is a pictured article of a Roadmaster install on a 2011 CRV. Good Luck!
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #12

I have a Roadmaster coming in on the 7th for our 2010 CRV. I have downloaded and read the instructions and it doesn't look very hard to install.
I'll do a post when I am finished.

Tags
install