Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #1

Exclamation CRV dead battery towing problem.

We have an 07 CRV and love it, but have a major problem when we tow it. The battery always dies even when on a short trip. We've been unable to use the Roadmaster braking system regularly because of this. When we contact Honda they tell us to remove the fuse #34 (as instructed in the owners' manual). However, the fuse is located in a very tight spot and is not that easy to remove and replace. Even a Honda tech had a hard time with it. We need another alternative. Has anyone solved this problem?
monacoricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
monacoricard...I want to go first so I can welcome you the the iRV2 forum! You should also stop in at the Monaco Owners Forum where you will also find all sorts of tips and suggestions too.

In response to your problem with the fuse...well- let me say that we have many members on the east coast that may chime in tomorrow once they are up & moving around! (You can also do a search to see if there is any other threads about it too)

Again...welcome to iRV2...we hope you visit & post often!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
U did do a search and found that the Toad-Charge seems to be the preferred solution for your problem. You can take a look here ...pay attention to GaryKD's posts. It looks like he has lots of experience with it!

Good Luck.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an older model Toad Charge at 5 amps and it keeps my CRV battery charged while towing. I keep my Brake Buddy on "5" which is more sensitive than the default 4.
As for pulling any fuses, I will occasionally pull the fuel pump fuse, for anti-theft reasons. I used JB-Weld to attach a 4 inch hard plastic handle to it. It makes for easy remove and replacement.
I believe there are also fuse kits that have a remote on/off feature that you can install in the #34 fuse slot and mount the switch in a more handy location.
http://www.rv-partsplus.com/home/accessories/
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Here is what I use...

Toad Charge
Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #6

I have towed Honda CR-Vs over 100,000 miles and have several friends who tow them, so I am familiar with CR-Vs. According a a Master Certified Honda Technician I know the fuse in 2007-2010 CR-Vs only needs to be pulled if it has a factory installed navigation system. Honda has had some problems with bad batteries and I know two people who had batteries going dead. They had Honda load test them and both got new batteries free from Honda.

Instead of pulling the fuse you can wire around it and install a switch in the dash. Flipping a switch is much easier than pulling the fuse that is located under the dash.

Another (and better) option is to run wires from the motorhome batteries to the CR-V's battery so it stayed charged while driving. Just use proper size wires and fuse the hot wire.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have a 2007 CRV and have installed the Toad Charge system as referenced by kuldaddy and have had no issues with battery. Prior to installation, we encountered a problem twice with dead battery. Easy to install and works great.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #8

dead battery crv

i ran wires from mh to car . someone said this could harm the car battery. I have not used the mh yet.
monacoricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #9

I also have 2007 CRV,same problem.Found I did not have key in #1 position.In meantime I had built my own"toad charge". It works fine.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monacoricard:

Need to be careful in regards to polarities as well as having blocking diodes to insure the coach batteries are not drained by the car battery.

Unless you are savy on electrical installs, best to purchase some type of Toad isolating device.

All I have to do now is plug and go and never is an issue.

Also handy having indicator lights to let you know when Toad battery is charging etc.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi monacoricard,
I support what Lash posted. It gets a bit complicated when making a DIY connection between the coach and toad. Unless you are really confident about 12 VDC, allow voltage only when the coach engine is running and can ensure the coach battery will not be drained by the toad battery consider purchasing the Toad Charge product mentioned in earlier posts. I have the product. It works as advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #12

We have towed an 07 CRV w/NAV 25000+ miles since it was new with never a problem with the battery,except one time when someone snuck in an turned key to acc I overnight (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). When the car was new, I called Honda tech to ask about pulling the fuse. Person I was connected with said she did not feel there would be a problem if car was towed for 8 hours or less. I do idle the engine when we stop for lunch and then run through gears per Honda towing instructionsl. I agree a toad charge is probably a good idea, and it is on my list of "to do" but for now I will keep doing what I am doing. I think you might have something else going on to drain the battery so quickly.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I towed a Dakota for 5 years and never had a problem. I ran a wire from positive post on motor home to positive on toad and never had a dead battery. I traded the Dakota at six years old, had the original battery.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monacoricard View Post
We have an 07 CRV and love it, but have a major problem when we tow it. The battery always dies even when on a short trip. We've been unable to use the Roadmaster braking system regularly because of this. When we contact Honda they tell us to remove the fuse #34 (as instructed in the owners' manual). However, the fuse is located in a very tight spot and is not that easy to remove and replace. Even a Honda tech had a hard time with it. We need another alternative. Has anyone solved this problem?
I agree that the CRV fuse is nearly impossible to get in or out. But, like RonMC, the only time I got a dead battery while towing was when we had the key in position II instead of position I. If you make sure the radio is turned off and use position I for the key, you should not have to pull any fuses and the battery should be fine. Of course, you are recommended to start the car every 200 miles when towing to circulate tranny oil per Honda so that also is a chance to charge the battery, too. After my first towing experience with the key in the wrong position (and dead battery) I have had no recurrence with my 09 CRV (which is identical to the 07).