Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CRV locks up when towing with engine on

I have tried several times in the past to drive with the Honda's engine running and each time when I applied the brake the CRV would lock up the tires.
I use a roadmaster 2700 which is one of the units that has an pneumatic rod to activate the brake pedal.
Works fine when the CRV is in acc with engine off and only gives problems when it's running.

Has anyone else experienced this?

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
on my brake buddy the direction say to push the test buttons at least 3 time to evacuate the vacuum from the toads system,by letting your engine run you are keeping the vacuum to the power brake servo pressurized so when you activate your roadmaster the toad says "wow i need a panic stop RIGHT NOW"
the only way to solve the issue is do not tow with cvr engine runningbrianj

Old 04-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

Turn off the engine and bleed off the vacuum (pump the brakes a few times) and the brakes won't lock up.
You don't need to leave the engine running while towing....
Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't see a 2700 listed on RoadMasters site. Do you mean a 9100 or what?
We have the 9160, if I don't remember to push the brake pedal several times and bleed the brake vacuum off (as per the instructions) it will lock the wheels up the first couple times I use the brakes. We tow a '05 Odyssey BTW.
And, no, you don't leave the engine running while towing. The instructison are in the owners manual for recreational towing.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

Since someone (won't say who) left our CRV in ACC overnight one time, we had to drive from the campground to the next rest area with the engine running to put a charge in the battery - did not want to wait around for the charger to do it at the campground. I just set the brake sensitivity (classic Brake Buddy) at a very low level so it would only activate in a near panic situation. Worked well for us that one time. BTW, we always travel with the towd brake set so that it does not activate unless we need to stop quickly. Normal braking does not activate it. If we are in mountains/big hills we may set it to activate sooner.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you, I never thought of that ... the added vacuum from the engine. *slaps head*

I usually run the test on the brake before travel, so it pushes the pedal in for me a few times.. Never even thought it would bleed down the vacuum that much but you learn things every day.

I was running it as after a long bout in traffic of stop and go, the battery was going dead so I was trying to try and give it a charge as I drove.

I just bought a new battery in the middle of the last trip as it got to the point of not lasting two hours being towed, so I don't have the dead battery on arrival problem anymore. Factory battery lasted two years on the CRV with towing.
I don't have a charging wire in yet.. it's on the to do list...

It's a 9700:
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
I like it as it is brake actuated and no inertia switch.

Setting it for brakeaway only is a good idea if I have to do that again.
Even the light setting firmly hits the brake.

I did make some jumper cables for the occasional dead battery issues... two lengths of 10 gauge with some battery clips on them. I put one on the positive feed to the generator ( mine is in one of the back bays ) and the other to a frame ground on the MH and it is sufficient to boost the tow battery enough to start.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Your Roadmaster brake system is to work with NO vacuum assist from power brakes. When you tow with the engine running, the power brakes are 'charged up', thus the lock-up when the Roadmaster engages.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

I've towed my CRV with the engine running (not intentionally - CRS problems) but with a brake buddy system - no problem with the brakes. As a thought could you have not followed the owners manual directions about not using reverse as the last gear before towing?
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We tow a '05 Ody, not approved for towing by Honda so we've been towing it on a dolly. Now towing it four down and also find that the Ody battery goes dead over two days of towing. Last time out I brought a battery charger and replaced the OEM battery before leaving.
I also need to add a charge line to the Ody. Our DSDP is wired for it although I need to find the end and finish the wiring. They ran a wire from the front fuse panel (20 amp fuse) to the 7 pin connector but didn't connect it.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
As a thought could you have not followed the owners manual directions about not using reverse as the last gear before towing?
Bob
That would have destroyed the transmission in very short order if they had done that. It leaves the trans partly in reverse.

Tags
towing