Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
CRV steering lock

I tow a 2011 CRV and I have to leave the key in the ignition to keep the steering lock unlocked. I was just thinking if the steering lock was removed then the key could be removed and doors locked saving any chance of battery drain. I have a charge line from the MH and it works great but we stopped for lunch and I (almost) forgot to replace the key before driving off. Good thing the DW remembered. What problems could happen with the lock removed????

Dave

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

I think the Honda CRV has a electronic chip embedded in the key. If so, all you have to do is get a non chip key. That way you can still unlock the steering wheel, but you can't start the engine.

When you say "remove the lock" do you mean the entire ignition lock? Or somehow just the steering wheel lock portion?

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just the steering wheel lock inside the ignition switch. Then the key would not even have to be in the ignition.

Dave
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a spare key and lock the doors on the car. If we stop for lunch we leave the doors locked with the key in the ignition. That way we don't forget to put it back. Or last 8,500 mile trip and no problems.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In another thread I was told to use my valet key for the toad, then you can lock the doors. I hope it works because that is what I intend to do.

We do not leave the tow car with key in unattended but if you do then just hang something from your steering (like the tow car keys) wheel that reminds you to put the key back in.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I think the Honda CRV has a electronic chip embedded in the key. If so, all you have to do is get a non chip key. That way you can still unlock the steering wheel, but you can't start the engine.

When you say "remove the lock" do you mean the entire ignition lock? Or somehow just the steering wheel lock portion?
Any Honda dealer can cut a dummy key which will open the doors and turn the switch to Accessory but will not start the engine. We leave one in the lock all day when we are towing, and lock the doors with the "real" key. If the Honda dealer says he can't cut a dummy key, tell him to use one of the "practice blanks" they have for the key cutting machine.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
We use our Valet key in the ignition when towing and just lock the doors. Then we use the regular key when we need to unlock. This is on a 2008 CRV, and we have a charge line so battery is no issue.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #8

We use the valet key for the ignition and just lock the doors. Ours is a 2013 CRV.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #9

I hate to be the Stick in the Mud but, as a retired police officer, I'd strongly advise against leaving a key, even a dummy key, in the ignition, when the vehicle is left unattended.

A thief doesn't know the key won't start the car (remember you're not dealing with brain surgeons here) and he's won't be in the least bit hesitant to utilize his "universal key"... the closest rock... to smash out your window to give it a shot. Of course, when he's unsuccessful at stealing the car, he's going to help himself to any goodies, like CDs, bicycles and such, you've been carrying in the "toad".

The couple of minutes it takes to remove the key could save hundreds in repair costs... not to mention the hassle of having to have the repairs done.

During my career, I took several reports from folks leaving keys in towed vehicles.

Another, more concerning issue from a legal standpoint... If you were to leave the "real" key in the ignition and the vehicle were stolen, you MAY have some civil legal jeopardy.

The theory, at least in California is, by leaving the key in the vehicle, you've created an "attractive nuisance"... essentially made the vehicle easier to steal. If it's stolen and as a result, an innocent third party is injured (like in a pursuit which ends in a collision), you could be, potentially, held partially liable for any losses sustained by the victim.

It seems far fetched, but I've heard of such cases being filed... even if you win, you'll be out thousands in legal fees.

Just a couple of thoughts to keep in mind...
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #10

Good point there Stick In The Mud (AKA unca waldo) Never thought about the attractive nuisance angle. Loved the "universal key" name for a rock.

So, back to the original poster's question, with all these comments and information in the posts, could just removing the steering wheel lock be the answer? Sounds like it to me!
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
What problems could happen with the lock removed????
Dave,

None that I have run into.

I tow a newer Mazda Miata. It does not use an ignition key but has a twist knob where the key would normally be. I keep the key fob in my pocket and the doors/trunk will not unlock nor will the car start unless the fob is within a couple feet of it.

That said, I would normally need to have the ignition knob in the Acc. position to unlock the steering wheel lock to tow.

To eliminate that need, almost 2 years ago, I physically removed the ignition switch, mechanically disabled the steering wheel lock, then reinstalled the ignition switch.

Now the steering wheel is ALWAYS unlocked and turns and the car is still secure unless the key fob is near it. Many newer cars do not have a steering wheel lock anymore. The steering wheel lock never impeded the car thieves anyway..... It just made the repair more expensive.

If interested, send me a PM and I will send you a link to my web page on how I disabled the steering wheel lock. Yours may not be the same as mine, if you have some some mechanical ability, it is not to hard to figure out how to do.

Tim
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Healeyman, thanks for the PM with the web link to disable the lock. I think that would work great. The Honda needs to be started and run thru the gears to oil the trans then shut off but the key has to be left in so the steering lock does not engage. With the lock disabled the key could be turned off and removed and the doors locked. With the keys in the ignition the doors can't be locked. Then there would be no battery drain at all..... It sounds good to me.

Dave
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Dave,

The locking lug is most assuredly spring loaded UP so that it will lock after the key is removed and the steering wheel turned. Simply preventing it from popping UP will probably do the trick. The tricky part is getting the shear head bolts out.

We were in Golden last September on the way to the Bonneville Salt Flats. We went up to Buffalo Bill's grave site and through the Coors plant. We have a friend from high school (54-58) in Longmont, but we love Golden too.

Tim
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #14

On battery running down, see this

No More Dead CRV Battery

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering