Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

CRV Toad

Purchased CRV to replace Jeep Cherokee TOAD. Installed Roadmaster "hidden" brackets -- very unobtrusive. Recomendations on how to tow it?

thanks
redhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
My CRV is a 2011 and it has to be run several minutes to circulate the trans fluid and must go into neutral from drive before towing. Seems like many people with a CRV lose battery power unless they pull a fuse or add a charging wire. What year is your CRV? That might make a difference.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

Our CRV is a 2012 -- I just looked into the manual and it has detailed checklist but doesn't say anything about pulling a fuse. Might have to start the engine and run it after 3 hours or so?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Those of us who are having the battery go dead after a few hours of towing have the CRV EXL w/navigation system where (if you can reach it) need to pull the 7.5amp fuse that runs the navi. Honda forgot to include the little guy who can actually can get in position to remove the fuse. Several months ago I had a phone conversation with Honda Corporation on this problem. Got there attention when I told them if I knew how hard it was to reach and pull the fuse I would not have bought the CRV. I suggested that they do one of two things.

1. Put the fuse in an easy access area like in the fuse box under the hood.

2. Approve an aftermarket RV switch where we can filp the switch in an off/on position and still have warranty coverage.

Currently if you add the RV switch out of Canada, if you have a short and damage the wiring system, it's not covered under warranty.

When I had my grandson pull the fuse I let the car sit for 19 hours with the key on acc as if it was being towed, it had no problem starting. So in the key acc position the 7.5amp fuse for the navi will kill the battery in about 3 hours. If you don't have the navi system it shouldn't be a problem.
I bought a Craftsman battery jump starter.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the info on the NAV system. We bought without the NAV so maybe we'll be okay.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Yeah, if your CRV doesn't have the Navi then there may not be a fuse pull required. Does your CRV manual mention anything about pulling a fuse in the towing behind a MH section??
Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There are a couple of reasonably easy (but not cheap) solutions to the fuse pulling issue. First off, TowDaddy makes a fuse replacement system that will take care of the problem for you. www.towdaddy.com Look for the AutoFuse product.

You can also add a toad charging system. I use a Toad Charge system to keep the battery topped off in my Fit. This is a regulated charging system. http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #8

We've pulled an '06 and an '09 CR-V and never pulled a fuse. I pulled them for 18 hours at a stretch. If you don't have the NAV system you don't need to worry about a fuse.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #9

Regarding arriving with a dead battery, thinking some times a lot of that might have to do with what type of aux. braking system you're using (if you're using one?)?

Some type aux brakes do draw power from the toad's battery, and could run your battery down. Others (I'm thinking of the Ready Brake I'm using here) use no power at all.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to disagree, but I tow a 2009 CR-V without navi system and without brake assist, and when we recently arrived in Santa Fe the battery was DEAD. We had traveled from Ohio with stops for one or more days along the way. I was careful to remove the key whenever the car was to sit for a while, and to run the car before and after towing. It appears that the drain on the battery occured entirely during towing. I'm looking into installing a fuse switch which will cut off power to the radio during towing.
Al Navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
My 2011 CR-V has the Navi and the battery use to die in just a few hours. Installed the new Roadmaster FuseMaster and now all I do is run her through the tow mode exercise and flip a switch. Before we hit the road I set her up as if I was towing in my garage to check out the new switch and 49 hours later she fired right up.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Navarro View Post
Sorry to disagree, but I tow a 2009 CR-V without navi system and without brake assist, and when we recently arrived in Santa Fe the battery was DEAD. We had traveled from Ohio with stops for one or more days along the way. I was careful to remove the key whenever the car was to sit for a while, and to run the car before and after towing. It appears that the drain on the battery occured entirely during towing. I'm looking into installing a fuse switch which will cut off power to the radio during towing.
Better find and write down the radio security code before trying that!

You are correct regarding a long term draw though. I generally pull the keys on ours when not on the road, have gone 3 days like that. Found out the hard way about leaving them on overnight! I misspoke for sure! I was considering a single days tow only. -Al
Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Radio security code???? Thanks for the tip. I'll check the owner's manual.
Al Navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #14

I tow a 2012 Honda CRV without Navigation and the manual tells you which 7.5 amp fuse to pull. I bought a simple "add a circuit" at the auto parts store and put a switch in the circuit. I cut off the additional circuit since I merely needed a fuse assembly to plug into the fuse panel that also gave me wires to fuse and run through a simple on/off switch. I had to convert to the larger type fuse for the new fuse in the circuit.

It works great and does not impact any security code in the radio. You can have the car running and turn the radio off/on with the new switch installed to the left of the steering column.
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad