Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you run the CRV between day one and two as the owners manual states? Also did you run it through the shift selections per the manual. If not you could end up with a transmission repair bill.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
It is not a big deal and easily solved with a fused charge line cost less than $20 or a toad charger cost $50+ and never worry about a dead battery again even the small battery that came in the CRV. I have been running with a charge line on all my toads for a few yrs and no more dead battery's .

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
It is not a big deal and easily solved with a fused charge line cost less than $20 or a toad charger cost $50+ and never worry about a dead battery again even the small battery that came in the CRV. I have been running with a charge line on all my toads for a few yrs and no more dead battery's .
Right; the toad charge wasn't difficult or expensive to install and it prevents all the problems. I also keep one of these in the MH just in case something does go wrong and the vehicle doesn't start: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage Nothing beats having a backup plan!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I, like others had battery issues on our 2014 CRV when towing. Sometimes a dead battery and sometimes not. Had the same issue when towing it with our 2007 Allegro, before we got the 2015. Finally had our installer put in the charge line and verify it with the RV and all is well, so far. We haven't towed very far since, so it hasn't really had a good test. I also cary a power booster just in case.

Jack

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a 14 CRV to Florida from NY and back. I have a toad charge line and go through the pre-tow routine every morning. No problem, (except for the time I forgot to turn the car off and pull the key at the end of the day.)

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
Did you run the CRV between day one and two as the owners manual states? Also did you run it through the shift selections per the manual. If not you could end up with a transmission repair bill.
I did, which is why I was surprised when the starter went "click" on the second day. Luckily I had brought our charger from home. After the charge line add'n I've had no more problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Please link to this less than $20 charge line. I'm going to use a Ready Brute so won't have the powered brake system.

Also, if I use the fuse disconnect, do I lose my radio and nav presets?
Old 12-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I "built" my own charge line with a couple 30 amp resetting fuses from AutoZone and some wire. One fuse on the MH and one on the Ody. When we got the Magna the dealer's tech wired a new line in using spare wiring and a relay already in place.
The one problem with the original setup was that both ends of the charge line were "hot" all the time and could short out, but it hasn't ever been a problem. I could wire a switch in on the van end and turn it off when not towing, but then I'd forget to turn it on and end up with a dead battery again!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I might have a little different approach to this. I thought about the battery charge line for the toad.

Didn't do it be because we pull off the road about every three hours for a break. We start the Pilot to lube the transmission, so the battery gets top charged during that time.

260,000 km plus 60,000 towed km and the Pilot is doing just fine.

Plus the factory battery is junk. Get the biggest battery you can fit in there.

Jim
Old 12-08-2015, 03:57 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
F4gary Two resitable 15 amp fuses or two fuses, a few ft of #10 or 12 wire run it from the coach chassis battery to the toad battery. I also have a large diode installed at the toad battery and in my case it don't cut down the charge enough to make a difference so no back feed on the toad.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Please link to this less than $20 charge line. I'm going to use a Ready Brute so won't have the powered brake system.

Also, if I use the fuse disconnect, do I lose my radio and nav presets?

When I turn off the switch (disconnecting the fuse) I don't lose any presets on the radio. I don't have Navigation.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We have a charge line to the CRV and have never had a
dead battery.
No fuses to pull, etc. Hooks up with the 7-way plug and
has a fused line to the battery.
We run the RVibrake.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
My sis tows a crv or an odyssey...
they put a cutoff switch in the crv for that fuse line to disable the 'phantom' power draw from the display etc... they didn't run a charge line...

They just started towing the odyssey and haven't put in that switch yet so they stopped every 3 to 4 hours and/or if trying to make some miles, they just leave the odyssey idling
Old 11-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, since my last post the car has had a low battery several times. Last month I bought an Odyssey battery tray to install a larger battery. I got a Die Hard, also for an Odyssey and squoze it in the CR-V. When I say it was tight, I mean it barely fit, but it's in there. So far no dead battery when towing. I am convinced that even with a battery line attached, the original battery simply can't hold up to the draw. Time will tell. Others have said this is not the fix, but for me it seems to be until I find out differently.

Jack

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, toad, tow