Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dunedin FL
Posts: 147
CRV toad battery dying in tow.

Took my first trip with our 2014 Honda CRV AWD in tow. The first day drove 5.5 hours and the vehicle started fine. The 2nd day after 4 hours the battery was dead. Got a jump and the battery stayed up for the 3 days we used the vehicle. Returning home, again the first day 5.5 hours and the battery fine, the 2nd day 4 hours and upon arrival found it dead. Am following Hondas instructions with the key in the (1) accessories position. Radio is off, no lights appear to be on. Any ideas?
__________________

__________________
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
slowmachine's Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alton, NH
Posts: 1,198
You need to remove a fuse. The owner's manual says which one. You can buy or make a switch for that circuit that plugs into the fuse block and incorporates the proper fuse into the switch harness. My installer mounted the switch in the dash near the driver's left knee, with markings for DRIVE and TOW. No power drain.



Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
__________________

__________________
Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bobb.25's Avatar
 
Rexhall Owners Group
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Central Ohio
Posts: 407
Ditto what "slow machine" said. The dashboard electronics and portable brake will kill the small battery. Some have installed a larger battery box and battery from an Odessy (sp?) but I went with the fuse bypass switch installed under the left side of the dash, and have never had a problem. We use the Patriot brake system.
Bob
__________________
2003 Rexhall Rexair, 3550 Ford V10 with Banks
2014 Honda CRV-AWD via Blue Ox
Travel with SWMBO and Golden Doodle co pilot
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Jame, I think the thread below will help you. Look at my post #34.

2013 CRV fuse question
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,608
I installed TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer in my CRV and highly recommend it.
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 484
I think the reason the CRV battery goes dead the second day is that it needs to run for a while to recharge the battery. You are starting the second day without a full charge. We have had the same problem and ended up driving separately for a full morning to get it back full.

We are still evaluating options and cost. Our MH and toad are in Arizona for the winter,b when we bring them home we plan on removing the accessory fuse (#19 on our 2012) and see what happens. If we that works, we will consider the switch. If not the charge kit mentioned above looks like an excellent option.
__________________
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
I think the reason the CRV battery goes dead the second day is that it needs to run for a while to recharge the battery. You are starting the second day without a full charge. We have had the same problem and ended up driving separately for a full morning to get it back full.

We are still evaluating options and cost. Our MH and toad are in Arizona for the winter,b when we bring them home we plan on removing the accessory fuse (#19 on our 2012) and see what happens. If we that works, we will consider the switch. If not the charge kit mentioned above looks like an excellent option.

Only problem is, on our 2013 it's kind of a pain to pull that fuse! I just went on and installed the switch instead of going through that every day!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
lllkrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
Took my first trip with our 2014 Honda CRV AWD in tow. The first day drove 5.5 hours and the vehicle started fine. The 2nd day after 4 hours the battery was dead. Got a jump and the battery stayed up for the 3 days we used the vehicle. Returning home, again the first day 5.5 hours and the battery fine, the 2nd day 4 hours and upon arrival found it dead. Am following Hondas instructions with the key in the (1) accessories position. Radio is off, no lights appear to be on. Any ideas?

If you really want to cure that battery problem get rid of the OEM small battery that comes with the CRV. It is only rated at about 400 CCA, some garden tractors have heavier duty batteries, and replace it with a Group 24 type battery of at least 850 CCA. You will have to go to the Honda dealer and purchase a larger battery tray for the Odyssey ($30) and install it in the CRV, it will bolt right in. Then your battery will have plenty of reserve capacity to last several days with short idle recharges at the end of each towing day.
__________________
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,416
We had the same problem with our '05 Ody. Installed a charge line and have had no problems since.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Posts: 74
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We have a charge line from the coach to our Fit. We never have a problem with a flat battery.
__________________
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dunedin FL
Posts: 147
So let me get this straight, there are 2 battery drains. One is the dash electronics which is cured by pulling fuse # 19 (or installing a switch to that fuse circuit)
The second drain is the brake system, which this fuse pull has nothing to do with, right?
__________________
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
powercat_ras's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
So let me get this straight, there are 2 battery drains. One is the dash electronics which is cured by pulling fuse # 19 (or installing a switch to that fuse circuit)
The second drain is the brake system, which this fuse pull has nothing to do with, right?
A portable toad braking system draws an average of about 0.5 Amps when turned on. If you have it plugged into a toad 12 volt accessory outlet then that is coming out of your toad battery. Towing for 8 hours, this will use less than 10% of your toad battery storage capacity so if you pull the fuse and still plug in the brake system you should be fine, even without installing a charge line.

For those times when you stop without driving the toad before pulling it again, you could boost the battery overnight with a small 120 volt AC charger like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-12...=float+charger
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Stealth01's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MidWest
Posts: 817
Instead of isolating the battery or pulling fuses, consider one of these: RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement Your battery will be draining while it powers your brake package so why not charge the battery while you're driving down the road??
__________________
Ken & Anita 2011 Newmar Essex,4522,Cummins 500 ISM,2013 CRV,RVI2 Brake with TPMS **Our Travel WebSite**
<a href=https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/kengallagher/copper_a_zps0e12153d.jpg target=_blank>https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums...ps0e12153d.jpg</a>
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
srh
Senior Member
 
srh's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If you really want to cure that battery problem get rid of the OEM small battery that comes with the CRV. It is only rated at about 400 CCA, some garden tractors have heavier duty batteries, and replace it with a Group 24 type battery of at least 850 CCA. You will have to go to the Honda dealer and purchase a larger battery tray for the Odyssey ($30) and install it in the CRV, it will bolt right in. Then your battery will have plenty of reserve capacity to last several days with short idle recharges at the end of each towing day.
You are absolutely right! The size of the battery is the issue more than anything else. I flat towed my wife's CRV behind my car for about 700 miles. I had to jump it to get it started. I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac which I have flat towed for two days. At the end of the second day it started right up. That is why I would prefer to flat tow my Ford.
__________________

__________________
srh
2008 Signature
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, toad, tow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping battery charged on toad waterboy10 Entegra Owner's Forum 35 03-12-2017 04:18 PM
CRV dead battery...NOT! tnteacherguy Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 09-01-2015 09:11 AM
Chains from Toad To Tow Dolly Dick1030 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 20 08-09-2015 04:51 PM
Toad battery dead on arrival lovenlif Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 10 08-01-2015 11:51 PM
Possible Novel Way to Tow both TOAD and Motorcycle Cbones Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 17 07-08-2014 12:15 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.