Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
CRV toad battery dying in tow.

Took my first trip with our 2014 Honda CRV AWD in tow. The first day drove 5.5 hours and the vehicle started fine. The 2nd day after 4 hours the battery was dead. Got a jump and the battery stayed up for the 3 days we used the vehicle. Returning home, again the first day 5.5 hours and the battery fine, the 2nd day 4 hours and upon arrival found it dead. Am following Hondas instructions with the key in the (1) accessories position. Radio is off, no lights appear to be on. Any ideas?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #2

You need to remove a fuse. The owner's manual says which one. You can buy or make a switch for that circuit that plugs into the fuse block and incorporates the proper fuse into the switch harness. My installer mounted the switch in the dash near the driver's left knee, with markings for DRIVE and TOW. No power drain.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 11-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Ditto what "slow machine" said. The dashboard electronics and portable brake will kill the small battery. Some have installed a larger battery box and battery from an Odessy (sp?) but I went with the fuse bypass switch installed under the left side of the dash, and have never had a problem. We use the Patriot brake system.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jame, I think the thread below will help you. Look at my post #34.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2013-...on-250271.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer in my CRV and highly recommend it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

I think the reason the CRV battery goes dead the second day is that it needs to run for a while to recharge the battery. You are starting the second day without a full charge. We have had the same problem and ended up driving separately for a full morning to get it back full.

We are still evaluating options and cost. Our MH and toad are in Arizona for the winter,b when we bring them home we plan on removing the accessory fuse (#19 on our 2012) and see what happens. If we that works, we will consider the switch. If not the charge kit mentioned above looks like an excellent option.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
I think the reason the CRV battery goes dead the second day is that it needs to run for a while to recharge the battery. You are starting the second day without a full charge. We have had the same problem and ended up driving separately for a full morning to get it back full.

We are still evaluating options and cost. Our MH and toad are in Arizona for the winter,b when we bring them home we plan on removing the accessory fuse (#19 on our 2012) and see what happens. If we that works, we will consider the switch. If not the charge kit mentioned above looks like an excellent option.

Only problem is, on our 2013 it's kind of a pain to pull that fuse! I just went on and installed the switch instead of going through that every day!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
Took my first trip with our 2014 Honda CRV AWD in tow. The first day drove 5.5 hours and the vehicle started fine. The 2nd day after 4 hours the battery was dead. Got a jump and the battery stayed up for the 3 days we used the vehicle. Returning home, again the first day 5.5 hours and the battery fine, the 2nd day 4 hours and upon arrival found it dead. Am following Hondas instructions with the key in the (1) accessories position. Radio is off, no lights appear to be on. Any ideas?

If you really want to cure that battery problem get rid of the OEM small battery that comes with the CRV. It is only rated at about 400 CCA, some garden tractors have heavier duty batteries, and replace it with a Group 24 type battery of at least 850 CCA. You will have to go to the Honda dealer and purchase a larger battery tray for the Odyssey ($30) and install it in the CRV, it will bolt right in. Then your battery will have plenty of reserve capacity to last several days with short idle recharges at the end of each towing day.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had the same problem with our '05 Ody. Installed a charge line and have had no problems since.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We have a charge line from the coach to our Fit. We never have a problem with a flat battery.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
So let me get this straight, there are 2 battery drains. One is the dash electronics which is cured by pulling fuse # 19 (or installing a switch to that fuse circuit)
The second drain is the brake system, which this fuse pull has nothing to do with, right?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
So let me get this straight, there are 2 battery drains. One is the dash electronics which is cured by pulling fuse # 19 (or installing a switch to that fuse circuit)
The second drain is the brake system, which this fuse pull has nothing to do with, right?
A portable toad braking system draws an average of about 0.5 Amps when turned on. If you have it plugged into a toad 12 volt accessory outlet then that is coming out of your toad battery. Towing for 8 hours, this will use less than 10% of your toad battery storage capacity so if you pull the fuse and still plug in the brake system you should be fine, even without installing a charge line.

For those times when you stop without driving the toad before pulling it again, you could boost the battery overnight with a small 120 volt AC charger like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-12...=float+charger
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Instead of isolating the battery or pulling fuses, consider one of these: RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement Your battery will be draining while it powers your brake package so why not charge the battery while you're driving down the road??
Old 12-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If you really want to cure that battery problem get rid of the OEM small battery that comes with the CRV. It is only rated at about 400 CCA, some garden tractors have heavier duty batteries, and replace it with a Group 24 type battery of at least 850 CCA. You will have to go to the Honda dealer and purchase a larger battery tray for the Odyssey ($30) and install it in the CRV, it will bolt right in. Then your battery will have plenty of reserve capacity to last several days with short idle recharges at the end of each towing day.
You are absolutely right! The size of the battery is the issue more than anything else. I flat towed my wife's CRV behind my car for about 700 miles. I had to jump it to get it started. I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac which I have flat towed for two days. At the end of the second day it started right up. That is why I would prefer to flat tow my Ford.

Tags
battery, toad, tow