Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing to consider, especially if buying used, is where can you get parts for it. I have discovered that some foreign made vehicles only have one dealer per state, if that. It isn't as much of a problem if you stay in the west coast states but can be a big problem if you are traveling or living in the central states. For example, I had a rear wheel bearing go out on my Grand Vitara and a mechanic could get the bearing but not the seal. He said he had to get it from a dealer and would take a week to get.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Nodine: How do you identify the different generations?
They are all shown here complete with photos.

Honda CR-V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob

2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
We just went through this exercise last year when we decided to retire our 200k mile 2001 CR-V. I love Jeeps, we've owned one before.

We drove both the Jeep and newer CR-V. It came down to what was easiest to get the groceries in and out of, loading and unloading the dogs, getting in and out of the front and back.

Everytime I see a jeep toad, I wish I had it, but remember we did our due dilligence.

The CR-V is my wife's daily driver when we aren't travelling. We haven't spent a dime on it in 16 months except for oil changes.

It may come down to how much off-roading you really want to do.....
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I think the Gen II are 2002-06? I have one, and also have the tire (road) noise. It's a common complaint, and not unusual for cars of this size/age. One of the reasons for that in the CRV is the almost complete lack of engine noise and wind/air leaks? This is the first I've heard of the rear toe in/out setting causing that (will check into that further). On ours, the majority of the noise seems to be coming from the front of the car?

Regarding the Jeep vs. CRV argument, much may have to do with gas mileage vs. real off road capability? Both are expensive used. Never saw a clear advantage either way there. What I see often, are people on the left coast preferring the Jeeps for off road, the right coast the CRV's for their utility value - and mileage.

Ours is the first "foreign" car we've ever owned, and also the smallest - and we love it.

One other note I write with some hesitation as it's pretty controversial, other opinions may vary. I can back up with the CRV attached easily if necessary. The Jeeps from what I understand, will turn the wheels to one side and lock almost immediately. FWIW....
Notice that I did not say road noise but tire noise. There is a big difference and once you have the tire noise you will think to normal CRV road noise is quite. Think about driving one of the jacked up trucks with the big tires on them and you get the picture. It took me four years and three sets of tires before I finally found out what was going on. For a long time we thought the problem was on the front but it is on the rear. New tires would make the CRV quite and bearable to drive until it was towed for about 3000 miles behind the motorhome. I read it was because the tow bar was not level when towing and fixed that. That did not help. We finally found the root of the cause to be heel/toe wear on the inside of the rears tires.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #19

When I was looking for a Jeep toad I started looking at used. I was surprised on how well the used ones held their price. So we decided to buy new. Said before but be careful, not all jeeps are towable four down or even 2 down.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
One more thing.... (maybe 3

In MY opinion:

I don't care for a 4 cylinder in a Jeep, especially if you increase the tire size, it has insufficient power. (can you say gutless?)
It's OK around town, but there is no power left at 60mph.

I think the CR-V will beat the Jeep in MPG. Our CR-v is getting 25-30

Put a 150,000 mile Jeep next to a 150,000 mile Honda. I think the Honda will have more life left....

Just my opinion based on some experience....
Owned a 2002 Wrangler V6 and a 2001 CR-V and 2007 Cr-V
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #21

Just my opinion but having had both a Wrangler and a 4X4 CRV (not to mention Suzuki Sidekick & Samurai) I think the decision would be based on what you want to do. If you want serious off road then the Wrangler. If you want a somewhat nicer ride, better fuel economy and the ability to carry a couple more adults & storage then the CRV may be the better choice.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Notice that I did not say road noise but tire noise. There is a big difference and once you have the tire noise you will think to normal CRV road noise is quite. Think about driving one of the jacked up trucks with the big tires on them and you get the picture. It took me four years and three sets of tires before I finally found out what was going on. For a long time we thought the problem was on the front but it is on the rear. New tires would make the CRV quite and bearable to drive until it was towed for about 3000 miles behind the motorhome. I read it was because the tow bar was not level when towing and fixed that. That did not help. We finally found the root of the cause to be heel/toe wear on the inside of the rears tires.

Bob
Easy there big guy! We're both on the same side of this.... and are likely suffering from the same problem along with a lot of other people! Where can I get more info on this rear alignment issue?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Comparing a Jeep and a CRV is like a Yugo and another car. I'd take a CRV for most applications over a Chrysler product any day.

Ken
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #24

Wow, thanks everyone. I did not realize I would get so many replies.

We most likely will not be off-roading. So probably the CRV will be more appropriate for us. In our area there are a lot of used CRV's and Jeeps of various models to choose from so I will wait until a good deal comes along.

I was thinking of the group 2 models so hopefully I won't have a problem towing.
Now I need to come up with a good braking system.

Thanks again, Iver.
Topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Easy there big guy! We're both on the same side of this.... and are likely suffering from the same problem along with a lot of other people! Where can I get more info on this rear alignment issue?

You want find a lot of information out there about it and some will be incorrect. The alignment shop we used was familiar with the problem and suggested we slightly toe in the rear wheels and rotate the tires on a regular interval from side to side. You can tell if you have the problem by running your hand along the surface of the rear tire in a clockwise and then counter clockwise direction. If the tire feels rough in one direction but not the other on the inside edge then you have it. Supposedly caused because the rear wheels tend to toe out as the vehicle moves forward. I am told it is a design flaw on the generation 2 CRV and has been fixed on gen 3 and 4. I thought about trading to fix the problem but our CRV is otherwise a very good vehicle and extremely dependable. Not to mention it has the base plate, air line, break away kit, and turn/brake lights already set up.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
Old 09-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We narrowed our choice down to the same two vehicles only new. We came down to this. CRV more practical.......Wrangler more fun........We got the Wrangler. Haven't regretted it yet especially on a nice day with the top down but getting stuff in and out of the back seat (2 door) is a bit of a pain. We're fulltime and we retire this Wednesday. We wanted the "funner" vehicle. (PS - Love the CRV too... hard choice)

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you are going to do LOTS of off roading, get the Jeep. For every other facet of driving and owning, the CRV wins hands down. Yes, I've owned both.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser
i dont know where you can buy a 4yo jeep as inexpensive as a 10 yo anything wrangler hold ther value as well as anything you could buy, when i traded my 2010 jeep in it was advertised on the lot for 1k more than i paid for it a year earlier
brianj
Yea, I'll second this... If you can find me a 4 year old Wrangler for less than NADA high retail of a 10 year old CRV, send him my way, I have cash.

Nuttin holds it's value like a wrangler.

And nuttin is a better toad, either. (if you like to get out in the boonies, see the unbuilt world up close and personnel, etc...)