Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlair View Post
Lot of great info here. I too recently purchased my "new to me" 2000 Fleetwood Flair and looking for a good tow vehicle. I believe the CR-V would best meet our needs.
Z
When I searched our local area for a used model, no standard transmission CR-V appeared on the search. This is probably a "rookie" question but must the CR-V have a manual transmission?

Thanks

Auto trans has a start up routine. My 04 goes like this: Idle then run through the gears from Park through Drive then move to Neutral (never from reverse to neutral) let idle a few minutes (this is when I hook up my braking system) then move key to ACC, release park brake (make sure radio is off). This must be done every 8 clock hours as opposed to tow hours. This is all easy to do and take minimal time.

Make sure you check the owners manual for the year of your CR-V to determine the start up proceedure for four down towing.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #44

I am looking at a 2004 CRV now.
Reading a lot of reports from owners stating the A/C compressors tend to blow up on certain CRV's. Anyone have this problem or other problems?
Anyone have any thoughts re: Pros and Cons on this year?
Thanks, Iver.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
CRV toad

I have been flat towing a 2007 CRV for three years with no problems. The CRV requires a process of going through the gears which is explained in the manual. Also, you need to pull the radio fuse if you are pulling for more than about 7 hours without running the engine or the radio willl run down your battery.
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
I am looking at a 2004 CRV now.
Reading a lot of reports from owners stating the A/C compressors tend to blow up on certain CRV's. Anyone have this problem or other problems?
Anyone have any thoughts re: Pros and Cons on this year?
Thanks, Iver.
We have been flat towing our 2006 CRV for over 5 years and the only problem we have had is with the rear tires cupping on the inside. They start making a lot of noise and it took me some time to figure out what was going on. I had and alignment shop do a slight tow-end on the rear and now rotate the tires from side to side ONLY every 3000 miles. Seems to have fixed the problem and the tires don't cup any more.

We went through about 5 sets of tires before figuring this out. I don't think front wheel drive CRV's have this problem. Ours is a 4WD. We did not have any trouble with the front tires but for a long time thought we did because we were rotating front to back. I went through the exercise of buying receiver parts to make the tow bar level, but that did not help. My wife kept telling me it was the rear and I finally listen to her. We put on new tires all the way around and used my hand each day to feel the surface of each tire. Low and behold I could feel the inside edge of the rears starting to cup. I then took it to the alignment shop we have been using for about 30 years to seek advice. They suggested a slight tow-in on the rear and side to side rotation only.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #47

As for the battery and needing to run it every few hours, this ma help you

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/no-mo...ry-137271.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #48

a chant from the crowd "Jeep....Jeep....Jeep"

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #49

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	31351 Jeep Jeep Jeep!
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #50

Still kinda curious about the A/C compressor blow-up problem....
Various complaints across the internet.
Also, any happy owners of 2004 CRV's??
Thanks, Iver.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
As to A/C compressor, I have a 2007 CRV as just received a recall notice that extends the warranty on the compressor. I haven't had any A/C problems, but they must have an issue. I did have to replace the tires at 35K and over half of that was tow miles. Expected better! Overall, the CRV has been a solid car. We just bought a 2013 Wrangler to use as our toad.
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #52

I had to do the compressor thing to our '03. Bought a kit from a guy on ebay for about 500. compete, shipped. That included compressor, lines, evaporator, condensor, expansion valve - everything. Took me a day to do it. A friend then evacuated and charged it for me. Hasn't missed a beat since. That was 15k miles ago....

I believe this is just a Gen 2 CRV thing, but could be wrong on that?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #53

What were the symptoms of of your compressor failure?
Thanks, Iver.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
What were the symptoms of of your compressor failure?
Thanks, Iver.
The only problem we have had with the air conditioner is the electric fans finally quit. Our 2006 CRV has over 110k miles and we run the AC for long periods of time with the car locked and the dogs inside. It would not surprise me if 20% of our engine hours has been idling with the AC on.

Bob
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #55

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
The only problem we have had with the air conditioner is the electric fans finally quit. Our 2006 CRV has over 110k miles and we run the AC for long periods of time with the car locked and the dogs inside. It would not surprise me if 20% of our engine hours has been idling with the AC on.

Bob
Was this due to the fan motor itself or possibly the thermostat or other in that circuit?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Was this due to the fan motor itself or possibly the thermostat or other in that circuit?
Fan motors went out. Of course, one of them had been bad for some time but we did not notice until the other one went out. With both out the AC only cooled while the vehicle was moving.

Bob