Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
CRV wiring question

I am in the process of wiring our '04 Honda CR-V as a toad. It has two separate bulbs on each side for tail lights. One of these on each side is a combination brake and tail light with a double filament bulb. The wires going to the two tail lights on each side are all color coded red with a black stripe. (Double filament bulb has a separate wire for brake filament.)

If I wanted to have both tail lights on each side wired to the MH wiring can I do it through one diode on each side, or would I have to wire an additional diode on each bulb. The two wires going to the separate bulbs on each side combine together where they go through the rubber boot at the bottom of the light assembly. If I wired both with one diode I picture both wires from each bulb going to the 'out' side of the diode and the two wires from the original source on one side of the 'in' with the MH 'tail' wire on the other side of the 'in'. Will this work??

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't see y it wouldn't work if the diodes are heavy enough. I have an 06 CRV and added separate bulbs in the bottom, unused, lens on mine. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will speak up.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimary View Post
I don't see y it wouldn't work if the diodes are heavy enough. I have an 06 CRV and added separate bulbs in the bottom, unused, lens on mine. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will speak up.
Since you added bulbs to the lower part of the lens did you wire directly to the MH by-passing any direct connection to the CR-V wiring, and avoiding the need to use diodes?

Also noted you are using an SMI Stay-In-Play Duo braking system. I am looking at the SMI braking systems for our toad. Did you install it yourself? Any observations about its operation? Does it work well?

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I also wired my 05 CRV with the coach power, through an isolation box from NAPA, going to LED's mounted in the lower part of the rear lens. It was a very simple installation.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I wired it direct to the motorhome, I ran a trailer 4 wire cable the front of the CRV. I did connect the ground wire from the lights to the CRV and the ground wire from the coach to the CRV also.

I did do the SMI install myself, it wasn't difficult at all, just took my time and followed the instructions. It works very well, I'm very happy with it. The only problem I've had with it is the air line came loose on the cylinder hooked the brake pedal once. I guess I didn't get it pushed in all the way the first time.