Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins ISB 260hp 5.9L with a toad

Just purchased a 2000 Monaco Knight 36Z. It has the the Cummins ISB 260hp 5.9L, on a Roadmaster chassis, with an Allision 1000 tranny, 4.88:1 axle. Per the manual, the Roadmaster chassis is rated at 4000 lbs. max towing.

Our 2012 Cadillac SRX has a curb weight of 4277. I am pretty sure that chassis can handle the extra 200-300 lbs, but I am concerned about the added load on the engine with a fully loaded, camp ready coach. Especially how it would affect climbing mountain roads.

Has anyone gone over their tow capacity by a few hundred pounds?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
I might check with a good Cummins shop and see if they could turn that 260 up. Years ago we had some road tractors towing some major loads and while they eventually got the job done, they might take a while to get over a mountain loaded.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Be mindful of the torque capacity of the transmission. Usually the engine is sized near the max of the transmission's capabilities. If you're towing 4 down, is the hitch rated for 4,000 or 5,000 lbs? Also don't run with full water or waste tanks. Water weighs 8.4 lbs per gallon. The thing to be most concerned with is the stopping power, not the going power. Be sure to have auxiliary brakes on the toad.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

We had an '01 Rexhall with the same drivetrain as your Monaco. It pulled an 06 Ford Fusion just fine.
Before you consider "turning it up" check and see if you have the dreaded "53" block. If so I would NOT turn it up and it should be OK.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Had 02 37 ft Cross Country with 275 HP ISB. Towed Saturns for 85K miles with no problem. Power River Pass WY, what is that 9600 ft ?
Never carried any water in tanks. Had 2 gal jug to flush toilet and bottle water to drink. Tranny was Allision 5 speed which was torque limited with that engine. No recal or Banks kit allowed. Ist Saturn was under 3k # so never had a towed brake system. Point is it can be done if you know what your doin.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post
Just purchased a 2000 Monaco Knight 36Z. It has the the Cummins ISB 260hp 5.9L, on a Roadmaster chassis, with an Allision 1000 tranny, 4.88:1 axle. Per the manual, the Roadmaster chassis is rated at 4000 lbs. max towing.
Our 2012 Cadillac SRX has a curb weight of 4277. I am pretty sure that chassis can handle the extra 200-300 lbs, but I am concerned about the added load on the engine with a fully loaded, camp ready coach. Especially how it would affect climbing mountain roads.
Has anyone gone over their tow capacity by a few hundred pounds?
dmastroluca
My 250 hp Cat powered coach has no trouble with a "gross combined weight", (fully loaded coach with toad attached), of 25,000 lb...but I would not chance exceeding the maximum towing lbs. specified by the chassis builder.
I suggest you get a lighter toad... (or a motorhome with more towing capacity).
Mel
'96 Safari,
Towing a 3.000 lb. Saturn (2,000 lb. LESS than the maximum specified by my chassis manufacturer).
Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The 4000 lb limit assumes a coach loaded to its GVWR. Chances are your loaded weight is less than that, so the combined weight of coach and toad will still be under the GCWR (max combined weight). That is perfectly OK. Other than that, you need only be concerned about the hitch receiver rating, but that's probably 5k lbs. Or more.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The 4000 lb limit assumes a coach loaded to its GVWR. Chances are your loaded weight is less than that, so the combined weight of coach and toad will still be under the GCWR (max combined weight). That is perfectly OK. Other than that, you need only be concerned about the hitch receiver rating, but that's probably 5k lbs. Or more.
Gary RVRoamer
You may very well be correct.
However, I understood, (miss-understood?), the statement: "Roadmaster chassis is rated at 4000 lbs. max towing", to mean that the maximum "allowed weight" of anything being towed, (aka: the "hitch receiver rating"), is 4000 lbs.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The "tow rating" is not really a separate number. Instead, it is derived from the difference between the GCWR and the GVWR, i.e. max combined weight minus the max coach-only weight. The other factor is the receiver hitch itself, and dmastroluca needs to verify whether the receiver is rated for just 4000 lbs, or perhaps 5000 or more. I would not exceed the receiver rating, even by a few hundred lbs.

So, the requirement is not exceed either the GCWR or the receiver hitch rating, which ever is less. It's that simple.

So rather than guess, check the specs, i.e. GCWR and GVWR and do the arithmetic.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The "tow rating" is not really a separate number. Instead, it is derived from the difference between the GCWR and the GVWR, i.e. max combined weight minus the max coach-only weight. The other factor is the receiver hitch itself, and dmastroluca needs to verify whether the receiver is rated for just 4000 lbs, or perhaps 5000 or more. I would not exceed the receiver rating, even by a few hundred lbs.

So, the requirement is not exceed either the GCWR or the receiver hitch rating, which ever is less. It's that simple.

So rather than guess, check the specs, i.e. GCWR and GVWR and do the arithmetic.

Also look carefully at the receiver itself, see if it's stamped or marked with it's rating.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, toad