Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Currie baseplate installed on Wrangler

I finished the install of the Currie baseplate and wiring on my 2012 Jeep today. Here's some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo8.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	35586
Part of frame that needs to be trimmed. Below blue tape, about 1/4".

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	35587
Frame trimmed and painted

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	35588
Electric recptacle, air connection for Brakemaster brake system and breakaway switch.

Name:	photo9.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	35589
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
good job!

I like how it's tucked up and has skids for protection from the rocks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #3

I have my currie baseplate sitting in the garage. Received mine last last week but haven't had time to install it yet on my 2012 JKU Sport S. Did you just cut out the logo in the center to mount your plugin? What wiring do you use for the lights? I haven't decided yet to go with Cooltech or just splice in my own.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got mine last week and have been working on it off and on since. Not difficult, just not in a hurry and its still cold out.
I drilled a 1 1/4" hole right in the middle of the lettering, there was just enough metal to drill the holes to mount the receptacle.
I removed the diodes from my last toad and just reused them. I was looking at a couple of the harness's talked about here but decided to save some $$ and just splice in the diodes. Still have to hook it up to the MH and see if everything is correct. Pretty sure it is.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

It appears that both pictures 1 & 2 are taken from the front? Is pic 1 of the left side and pic 2 of the right? Really want to do this to my '13 but can't, as of yet, bring myself to start grinding. Is all that is being removed the bottom of the square tube that appears to be excess? Or are you having to cut into the flat metal piece with circles punched out? You wouldn't happen to have a picture after grinding and before you painted would you?

Anyone know a Jeep shop in CA that does Currie baseplate installs? Just in case grinding on my brand new Jeep is more than I can handle.

Thanks!
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #6

All that needs to be cut off is about 1/4" of the U shaped vertical steel frame as it hangs lower than the horizontal crossmember. The currie baseplate mounts up to that crossmember that has the holes in it. I bought mine from 4WD.com as they had it on sale with free shipping. I think Quadratec's site has the install instructions that show what has to be cut. The part that needs to be cut down doesn't do anything. I really don't know why jeep even has it stick down like that. It's just extra metal.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
avid dk, Yes, you are correct one picture is the drivers side and the other the passengers. Sorry no pictures of before paint. As jcgribks mentioned only about a 1/4" (maybe even less, didn't measure) of metal has to be removed.
If Chrysler/Jeep would have shortened that piece, they would have saved millions in steel costs.

Here's a few more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo7.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	35641   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	35642  

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	35643  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #8

Thanks guys for the help. Have you hooked up your Blue OX tow bar to the Currie yet? In the past I see that others have said there was a little filing that needed done to get the fit right. What is your experience?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've read that also, so I did see if I would have a fitment issue with that, no problem there.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #10

Currie Base Plate

On one of the Jeep Forums someone has suggested cutting a small amount off the Base Plate rather then the Jeep frame. Has anyone done that? The Currie is very thick and strong so it would not weaken it.
Robert
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #11

I have seen the thread where the base plate was cut instead of grinding on the JK. I wonder about liability in the event of a (unlikely) failure after cutting the base plate. Trimming the excess on the stability bar is required by several major manufactures for their front bumper installations.

Currie Base Plates are 5% off at 4WDparts.com for the next 13 hours or so.

Currie Base Plate or aftermarket bumper with tow tabs?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I read that thread also, IMO I think trimming the 1/4" off the Jeep is easier than trimming the baseplate. I like my stock bumper.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #13

I installed the Currie base plate about 7 months ago. I mounted the plug and break away switch up on the grill. I figured when I get off roar if I hit the plug because I mounted it low I would hate myself. I made a plate out of stainless steel to span 2 bars on the grill and bolted it to the grill, the break away switch is mounted with a bolt I found on the core support.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #14

I installed mine on my 2012 JKU and it was so easy to just cut off that 1/4" that needed to be cut off the frame.

I've got a problem now though. I bought a new Readybrute Elite tow bar with the integrated toad brake and the blue ox ends that came with it, one side won't fit the Currie base plate. Both ends end will fit on the drivers side mount but the passengers side the plates are too close together for the blue ox tow bar ends to fit. It is over an 1/32" narrower. The left side measures .635" but the right only measures .595". I measured both with a dial caliper. Really gets me mad that it's so far off side to side. Makes you wonder what kind of inspection process Currie has and what tolerances they have. I