Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Currie Mounting Plate and Blue Ox Aventa LX

I mounted a Currie Enterprises Tow Bar mounting plate to my new 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Had to do a little cutting to get it mounted but it fits well. I also purchased a Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. The Currie plate says it will mount to Blue Ox tow bars but it doesn't The fit is too tight and the tow bar will not accept the currie stems on the baseplate. Any suggestions? I will call currie in the morning. Anyone else have this problem?
wtondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

wtondu, I had the same problem and started to grind down both sides of the middle tab on the Aventa stem but my 4" grinding wheel was too short to get enough depth so i swapped out the Aventa stems for the 2 tab stems that came with the Currie baseplate and it works fine. Once I get around to buying a larger grinding wheel I will finish grinding (thinning) the center tab on the Aventa stem and swap it back in. Hope this helps.

Jeff
jefemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. That's what I did to fix it as well. I used a long
file and filed away (with a beer) until it all fit well. Lubed it up a bit so
it would not rust and it works fine.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

Hi Wtondu and Jeff, I have ordered the Currie tow bar mounting Plate and a Blue Ox Towbar I purchased the Aladdin model. I plan to Tow my 2012 JKU Wrangler with this set up. How do the Currie Tabs work, are they a good fit? Do you really have to file down the center flat or do you just want to. Have you tried Towing with this set up as yet? What are your plans for a brake system?
Thanks in advance.
Robert
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
What's the advantage of the Currie baseplate over Blue Ox or any other brand?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #6

The Currie plate offers protection as well as Tow bar mounting. Very strong and easy to install. Price is right as well. But it is only for a Wrangler. It also replaces a flimsy plastic unit used only as an air dam.
here is a link http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2791
Robert
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #7

Exactly what Barrier2 said, plus it looks a whole lot better. It's a minimal amount of filing but you will need a nice long, fairly aggressive file and 30 minutes worth of your favorite beverage. The fit is very good after filing.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #8

Hi Robert, one more note on the Currie plate install... I did have to alter it to make it a flush fit underneath. I think from 2010 & up, Jeep beefed up the compatibilty beam attachment point with some extra gusseting that gets in the way of the Currie plate install. I think Currie's solution was to grind or cut away a tab on the corner of the compatibility beam.
See Towing Your JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
I myself cut the ends off the baseplate (see pic) because I didn't want to touch that compatibility beam and I believe the baseplate is still plenty strong to handle my 5,000 lb JKU.
I have a Blue Ox Patriot for braking. It is great. Very easy to setup and adjust and is very light to handle as well. It has an RF indicator I stuck on the dash that tells me when it's braking.
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi Wtondu and Jeff, I have ordered the Currie tow bar mounting Plate and a Blue Ox Towbar I purchased the Aladdin model. I plan to Tow my 2012 JKU Wrangler with this set up. How do the Currie Tabs work, are they a good fit? Do you really have to file down the center flat or do you just want to. Have you tried Towing with this set up as yet? What are your plans for a brake system?
Thanks in advance.
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ce-9033jk.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	16127  
Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

hi Jeff, I spoke with Currie about the mods for fitting the Baseplate, they told me only about 1/4" would have to be cut on the Jeep. Do you think that is doable? I would not want to grind more than that. I also am not sure I would want to cut that much off the Currie.
Any thoughts?
thanks,Robert
Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

My Currie base plate was a little snug on the tabs on the end of my Aventa II LX towbar; i hit the insides of the Currie mounting tabs lightly with a small wheel and lubed it up the first few times I installed it, it just slides right in now that the powder coat has worn off both pieces.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #11

Robert, try to do a dry fit when your baseplate arrives and see what's required to get it flush at the bottom where it bolts to the bottom of the compatibility beam. I started to go at it with a 4" angle grinder cutoff wheel then thought about it again. I felt they added the extra gusseting on the compatibility beam for a reason so I didn't want to mess with it. Instead I used the cutoff wheel to cut the ends off the baseplate. I think it turned really well. That baseplate is so sturdy I doubt it made any difference in overall strength by cutting off the ends. It looks good too. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow so you can see the difference.

Jeff

Quote:
hi Jeff, I spoke with Currie about the mods for fitting the Baseplate, they told me only about 1/4" would have to be cut on the Jeep. Do you think that is doable? I would not want to grind more than that. I also am not sure I would want to cut that much off the Currie.
Any thoughts?
thanks,Robert
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #12

Altered Currie Baseplate Pic

Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.JPG
Views:	1448
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	16176  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #13

Thanks Jefemente, I received the Currie Tow Base I am going to line it up this weekend if the Weather holds up. I will have to first remove the plastic part.
I am very impressed with the Currie unit built very strong. I can see why there is no problem cutting it. I have already filed the mounting forks to enable the three pronged Blue Ox to line up and fit. It was a two cool one job. I bought a used Aladdin Tow Bar I need to find electrical connection wire and safety cables or chains.
Robert
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Jefemente, I received the Currie Tow Base I am going to line it up this weekend if the Weather holds up. I will have to first remove the plastic part.
I am very impressed with the Currie unit built very strong. I can see why there is no problem cutting it. I have already filed the mounting forks to enable the three pronged Blue Ox to line up and fit. It was a two cool one job. I bought a used Aladdin Tow Bar I need to find electrical connection wire and safety cables or chains.
Robert
I still have yet to do the filing/grinding. It'll probably take me a six pack. I ended up using the Cool Tech JK Tow Harness Deluxe Kit (didn't use the battery disconnect) for the Jeep tail light wiring. It installed pretty quick and worked out nice. I did have to buy a small hole saw to mount the connector on the baseplate.

Jeff