Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Custom hitch extension fabrication in OKC?

I need to have a custom hitch receiver/extension fabricated. I'm trying to put together a bicycle carrier mount and an inverted drop receiver combo, and I think an custom welded one will be smaller and sturdier than one I can assemble from standard parts.

We're currently at Lee's RV, north Oklahoma City. Anyone know a good custom hitch shop in the area that can weld one up for us?

joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Joe, can't help you with a shop, but when you have it done ensure that you have adequate space between the toad receiver and bicycle rack receiver. When I had mine done about 10 years ago I did'nt and continually mashed my fingers when stowing the tow bar.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I want to have one custom made, so I can avoid that.

joe
Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
paz

How long does your extension need to be? Blue Ox makes a receiver extension that will extend up to 15.75".

You mention an inverted drop (rise?). They also make a drop receiver with 4" longer shank. The drop receiver can be inverted to act as a riser. My standard Blue Ox drop receiver extends the tow bar out about 7" from the existing receiver that is mounted to the motorhome. That means the extended one would add around 11".
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I know all about the standard extensions and drops. Won't help me to put together what I need for both the extension and the bike rack. Not unless I used 4 different items connected together, which would have too much play in them and I wouldn't trust to pull the toad. And would be longer than a custom one.

joe
Old 11-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I know all about the standard extensions and drops. Won't help me to put together what I need for both the extension and the bike rack. Not unless I used 4 different items connected together, which would have too much play in them and I wouldn't trust to pull the toad. And would be longer than a custom one.

joe
i recently bought an extension with bicycle adapter from HARBOR FREIGHT for $30. it is rated for 4k#. the welding seems to be ok and it fits well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Still looking for a recommendation for a welding or hitch fabrication shop in OKC that can make what I need...

joe
Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Lee should be able to hook you up with the top shop in the area.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Lee should be able to hook you up with the top shop in the area.
Maybe. Holiday weekend, he hasn't been around. They've been closed the last three days. Not sure if he'll be in today either, but I'll go look for him a little later.

joe
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #10

Get them to hook you up with what used to be Oklahoma City Spring, it has changed names and I am not sure of the new name BUT I have had work done there and they are truly first class (singled out my 387 Peterbilt to pull my 5er) and are used to working on frames, alingnment axles etc on everything including motorhomes and heavy trucks. They are located in far west oklahoma city on west Reno beyond council road between I-40 and Reno street. I am sure the shop guys at Lees will know who they are if you tell them they are a great alignment shop and used to be known as Oklahoma city spring. Sorry, we are not at home but on the road right now or I would be glad to get you hooked up with them. They can do what you want and will do a first class job. How long will you be in the area? Good Luck. Gene
Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I ended up going to J & I Hitch, which seemed to be a very competent shop. Unfortunately, they wouldn't build what I wanted because it would be too long and not safe. Too much side bending torque when pulling the toad around turns.

So we're going to an alternate solution using a different style of bike rack.

joe
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #12

Thought about J and I actually, but decided that they would very likely NOT build such a hitch. If you change your mind, contact CIty Spring, they would likely work you out a safe and adequate solution, though they certainly are not cheap. Gene
Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Well, the length had me a little concerned too, but I was trying to avoid having to come up with an alternate cycle rack solution. In the end, I think the new cycle rack was probably cheaper than having a custom extension made. We'll see.

joe
Old 12-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #14

I wouldn't trust work by an outfit that gave advice like J&I. What you are really hearing is J&I doesn't know how.

2" tube steel comes in 3 standard thicknesses. Most hitches use 1/8 for short extensions or 3/16. You can get it in 1/4" thickness. You can also get 2" solid. A short piece of 2" solid end welded to 2x2x.25 for the rest of your extension would work fine. You would have to address mounting at the hitch.

I have a long stinger for my toad on which is mounted a 340# vespa scooter. When doing the fabrication, I drilled two 5/8" holes on the PS with the extension piece installed in the hitch (i.e. thru hitch & receiver so the holes would line up), and two 17/32" holes on the DS of the extension. I then threaded the two DS holes on the extension using a 5/8-11 tap and reamed the two DS holes on the receiver to 5/8. Instead of standard hitch pins, I used 5/8" Grade 8 bolts inserted from the PS. The smooth shank of the bolt runs thru the PS holes and the threads lock into the threaded holes on the DS of the extension, which sucks the 1/4" wall tube extension tight to the PS of the receiver and makes it an extension of the frame (no wobble or chatter at all). A Grade 8 lock nut goes on the DS threaded end of the Grade 8 bolts as a locking device. I carry a 15/16 box wrench for taking the scooter carrier off if I need to for parking purposes.

This method isn't new. I stole it fair & square off the website of an internet seller of motorcycle hitch products. Then found it in use at various fabricators. My dimensions and layout were not applicable to any of the standard products so I made my own. I always find it humorous when a shop says it won't work, all the while their competitors have it as a standard feature.