Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
DEAD Battery

After towing my CRV-EXL for 200 miles today, I have a dead CRV battery! Had Invisibrake installed by CW September 2012 and it has worked well. On two previous occasions I've had a dead CRV battery, but only after very long drive days, never after only four hours. Getting frustrated with the "trickle" charge feature of the system.

Any ideas why the battery went dead? Better yet, any suggetions on how to prevent it?

Thanks.

2009 CRV-EXL with Invisibrake

Thor O Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What model year is the CRV and is it the Factory battery?

I started having battery problems with my Towed about a month after I got it (used) and a new battery really fixed it.. Likewise my house batteries,, The AGM's I got in 2006 lasted 5 years, the Maintenance free I'd had for years before those, a bit longer and the 8.5 year old GC-2's. just died.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
DEAD Battery

I would check with CW to make sure they ran a charging wiring from your MH to your CRV when they installed your Invisibrake. It sound like they all they did was wire up the brakes which draw off the CRV battery in addition to the draw you already have from leaving your key in accessory mode. The motorhome's charging system will then keep the CRV's battery fully charged. They will use one of the extra wires in your light cord for charging but make sure they protect it with a circuit breaker. We have not had a battery problem on our CRV sense we added that wire. Good Luck
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. While discussing this issue with DW she asked if it had anything to do with the MH headlights. Sometimes I run with them on, sometimes off. I'll bet the charge line is wired to a tail light and will work if the MH lights are on. I'll try that when we move in a few days and if the problem continues, it'll be back to CW. Should be in a CW city next week.

Thanks, again.
Thor O Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor O Good View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. While discussing this issue with DW she asked if it had anything to do with the MH headlights. Sometimes I run with them on, sometimes off. I'll bet the charge line is wired to a tail light and will work if the MH lights are on. I'll try that when we move in a few days and if the problem continues, it'll be back to CW. Should be in a CW city next week.

Thanks, again.
A charge line shouldn't come off the taillight, might leave the system open to capacity issues. Should come right off the coach battery, with fuse.

I've towed an '04 Element for a year and a half (10K miles), with a charge line, and not once had any battery problem.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #6

I had added a charge line but on my last trip it started blowing a fuse I had installed inline. So for this trip I added a battery disconnect and that seems to work but I (or actually my wife) has to reenter the radio security code and set the dash clock after a trip. She only does that if we will be in a place a few days. Doesn't seem like much of a problem at this point in time.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

I ran a Toad Charge from my MH to my 2013 CRV. I use an RVI2 brake. No more dead battery.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the Invisibrake installed. There should be a charge line hooked up to your lights. To charge, you have to have your coach lights on.

I can tow all day without the coach lights on and my battery will not be run down. You might have another problem. I would start with a proper charge line with the coach lights on and go from there.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I must have answered this elsewhere.

HOW OLD is that battery in the CRV? I mean it may just be old age.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I too suggest replacing the toad battery if it is a couple of years old. And yes your lights must be on for it to charge the toad. It steals a bit from the running light circuit. However, I have had dead battery issues due to my Edge being power hungry. I connected my own charge line so more current is available. The Invisibrake claims 2 amps charging but I have not actually measured it and suspect that might be "optimal".

To see if your charge line is working, put a voltmeter across the toad battery and start the RV running with lights on. If the voltage goes up a bit it is charging. However not at a very high rate due to design.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
The invisibrake literature suggests that the running lights on the MH need to be on for the battery charge to work.

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery