Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
i have a Honda Fit that has a very small battery also. It has gone down several times recently in the cold weather. The battery tray in this car looks like it would only accommodate this little battery. The CRV probably has a larger battery than the fit and a larger tray for it I will probably look to see if there is a larger battery that can be put in this car. I looked at the warranty and it has a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty including battery and our 2013 Fit is only 17 months old but if the battery is just too weak the warranty may not be worth much.
The group 51 in the CRV is 5.1" wide, 9.4" long, 8.9" tall. A group 34 will be 6.7" wide, 10.8" long, 7.8" tall. The OEM battery is sitting in a snug plastic bottom tray that sits on top of a metal tray. The bottom metal tray is all flat so that a bigger battery could hang over the edges.

So I can either cut away part of the plastic bottom tray and leave it or discard it all together and set the battery on the metal bottom tray. The hold-down bolts are hooked to the bottom metal tray. I have just enough space to fit the extra length and width into that area.

I'm not familiar with the space under the hood on a Fit. Hopefully you can squeeze a bigger battery in there somehow too!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #16

Big battery in the CRV toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
i plagiarized this from a Honda CRV thread that I subscribe to. There have been a number of posts on this issue so thought you CRVers might be interested in this change to a larger battery.
There were photos with the post but they would not load here but, you get the picture.

I found that the Group 51 battery the came standard in my 2013 CR-V E-XL w/Nav was marginally sufficient. The other day I went to start it in 12 deg. F weather and it definitely turned over slower. Also, last summer I was playing the audio system while I was drying the CR-V (30 min) and there was not enough power left in the battery to start the engine.
After looking the existing battery and mounting hardware, I decided that there was enough room to mount a Group 24 size battery which is only slightly longer but considerably wider than the stock Group 51.
I purchased an Exide FP-AGM24F along with a battery base and cover for a 2013 Honda Odyssey. The stock battery hold-down clamp actually fits the new battery better.
Today I decided to test the new battery capacity with headlights on and stereo playing for an hour. The engine turned over quickly. I'm a happy camper!

Stock battery rating - 410 CCA (cold cranking amps)

New battery rating - 710 CCA
Went and switched out my battery tonight. Toad is a 2011 CRV. Tested the original Honda battery at CCA=316 actual, rated at CCA=410. Test showed battery was no good. I am using a Solar BA7 Battery and System tester.

Replacement battery is an Optima Red Top AGM group 35 on sale online with store pick up at AdvanceAuto for $181. It's rated at CCA=720. It tested at actual CCA=780.

I used the existing plastic tray and J-hooks and got an adjustable battery hold down. I crimped down the lip around the existing plastic tray so that the wider battery would fit.

First picture was the existing battery in the car, second picture is the metal battery support, third is the new battery, fourth is the completed installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8132.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	83319   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8137.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	83320  

Name:	100_8139.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	83321   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8140.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	83322  

Old 01-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #17

CRV Battery upgrade

Bump. See my previous post for details.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #18

Replaced the OEM battery in my CRV today with a group 24 AGM battery, 910 CCA. Simple change using a new plastic tray and box from Honda that are for an Odyssey. Both pieces were only 20 bucks and fit like a glove. The Group 24 battery is a snug fit but no problem. No other mods required.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #19

The two battery tray parts for a 2013 Odyssey.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	84178  
Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #20

Group 24 AGM installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	84183  
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act a warranty cannot be invalidated just because you used an aftermarket or specialty part. The auto industry was one of the major targets of the Act because, previously, use of aftermarket or non-OEM parts, in general, was an excuse to void a warranty.
Actually they can void the warranty for any modification but it's up to them to PROVE the modification caused the problem. However, Chrysler was known for voiding the warranty then making the customer prove it wasn't the modification. Most people just gave up due to the cost of litigation.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually they can void the warranty for any modification but it's up to them to PROVE the modification caused the problem. However, Chrysler was known for voiding the warranty then making the customer prove it wasn't the modification. Most people just gave up due to the cost of litigation.
The only warranty they can void is the OEM battery warranty.
Just to clarify, I asked the service manger and he said it will not affect the standard warranty other than the battery which is now covered for 60 mos. by Canadian Tire where I bought the battery.
The partsman was very familiar with this mod as it is a common problem with the CRV. He knew right off what parts were required.

Tags
battery, honda