Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Dead Toad

I just received an email from RVibrake announcing their new product, the Towed Battery Charger. If you have ever arrived at your site with a dead battery in your toad, this product is said to be the cure. I plan on ordering one. Of course I wont be able to test it for awhile. Has anyone yet used the device? If so, could you give us a report. If I don't see a report until I test mine, I will give a report. I don't mean for this to be an endorsement or a sales pitch, I just want to pass the word. I know this is a problem for many of us, and this may be the remedy. Here is the context of the email:

"Subject: RVibrake: Charge up your Christmas

Charge up your Christmas!

We are excited to introduce the new RVibrake Towed Battery Charger. When you’re out on the open road you need all the peace of mind you can get and the Towed Battery Charger delivers just that.

The Towed Battery Charger charges/maintains the battery in your towed vehicle while towing. The premium design handles both heavy load and trickle charging.

An elegant solution for all towed vehicles, especially those vehicles with large current draw on the battery when towing. The Towed Battery Charger will prevent unseen parasitic loss on your dinghy battery.

click here or call 800-815-2159 to order today!
"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a towed charge line on my towed... US-Gear included one with their Unified Brake Decelerator, has for years. It's not the best, just parallels the chassis battery and towed battery via circuit breakers (both ends) but it keeps the car running.

When I got the new towed,, Since it does not have the US-Gear connectors on it, I spliced on an alternative wire connection, (pigtail) and since I had a 2nd pigtal (in fact I still have 2 more) I put one on the front of the MH as well, This is where the motor home end circuit breaker is.

So now I can keep the battery charged when towing and or parked BEHIND the motor home or when parked with the car FACING the front of the motor home.. Oh yes, bi-directional isolator on the motor home. (This is improtant to that last line)

Works very well. (The connectors are Anderson power Poles by the way,, NICE connectors)

Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Another really cool item to empty an RV'ers pocket while doing something that can be done for pennies. Run a wire from the BAT pole on your RV 7 pin plug to the battery on your toad. Put a 20A fuse on the battery end and you have something that does the job, every time. I just don't understand why people insist on spending big money for something they can have for next to nothing.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
why do you have a dead battery ? i have never had it happen ?can you explain thanks
Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Another really cool item to empty an RV'ers pocket while doing something that can be done for pennies. Run a wire from the BAT pole on your RV 7 pin plug to the battery on your toad. Put a 20A fuse on the battery end and you have something that does the job, every time. I just don't understand why people insist on spending big money for something they can have for next to nothing.
Just what he said^^^. It has worked for me for 10 years. Now we need a computer box to fix what has worked for years. Another "Buy Me" label.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I agree I had never had a dead batt but I did this also
Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #7

Please explain a little more for an old lady who knows nothing about this stuff.

What is a BAT pole? I know where the 7 pin plug is but don't really understand how to attach the wire. How do you put a fuse on a car battery? How does the wire attach to the battery?

Maybe pics would help.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Please explain a little more for an old lady who knows nothing about this stuff.

What is a BAT pole? I know where the 7 pin plug is but don't really understand how to attach the wire. How do you put a fuse on a car battery? How does the wire attach to the battery?

Maybe pics would help.
Sure, but I'll make a few assumptions and you can ask again if they don't apply. First, I'll assume you have a 7 pin trailer connector on the rear of the RV. One of those poles comes from the RV power as +12V. It may be labeled that, or perhaps BAT or something similar. Look on the 7 pin cover for pin designations or in your coach documentation. In most cases this will show +12V with a voltmeter but you need to be sure the coach ignition is on if you're testing it. Once you find the plug and correct pin separate the 7 pin plug that is mounted on the toad. Connect to the +12V line with a 10 gauge stranded wire and run the wire to your toad battery. At the battery add a 20A fuse holder and fuse and connect to the battery with an appropriate connector. You're done.

Items needed: wire, fuse, fuse holder, crimp connector between the fuse holder and the wire and ring connector at the other end of the fuse holder.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

Our toad has a six pin connector. So I suppose that would need to be changed as well.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I just drove from St Paul to Panama City Beach with our first toad. 2010 Lincoln MKX. After first 3 hrs on the road, dead battery. AAA jump start, drove 100 miles with car running. 3 hrs later, dead battery while at stall in gas station. About 30 below wind chill, clogging gas station lane, had to drag car out while in park (about 30 ft on slimy snow). got a jump from good simeritan . Hotel for the night, car started next morning, ran 1/2 hr. First stop, dead battery, (have to shift to park to start and neutral to toe) if it don't start, can't shift to neutral. your back to AAA. I bought a new battery and used it as a jumper. Will wire direct from RV plug for trip home in the spring. Can't say I enjoyed toeing.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #11

I too simply ran a charge line from the coach to the TOAD. You should put a fuse at both the TOADs battery connection and where it leaves the coach. I have a 2012 Explorer with a keyless ignition soit works very much the same as the Lincoln. My charge line is fused at 15A as there isn't much load on the TOAD when being charged. For the Lincoln owner, make sure the stereo and air conditioner and its fan are off.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Our toad has a six pin connector. So I suppose that would need to be changed as well.
Not necessarily. Just depends on what pins are on the plug. A cheap (<$10) voltmeter at Harbor Freight would tell you if one of those pins were +12V. If so, you're in business, if not, you'll need to find a hot point on the RV. If you have to wire a hot feed on the RV, be sure to put a 20A fuse on the RV side too.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
why do you have a dead battery ? i have never had it happen ?can you explain thanks
Kustom,
There are many types and models of toads out there. Some need the steering wheel unlocked by inserting the key in the ignition and turning it to the point at which the steering wheel turns freely. And, on some of these vehicles, that also "turns on" certain electrical components. Different cars turn on sometimes, different things. But, in any case that the vehicles electrical system is activated by "unlocking" the steering wheel, there is now a battery drain. And, it will drain as long as there's no replenishment to the battery.

So, depending just how long you tow or, what kind of condition the toads battery is in, or, just how much demand there is on the battery when the toads ignition is unlocked and activates, will determine just how long the toads battery will keep a charge strong enough to re-start the toad at a given time.

And, on some cars, unlocking the steering wheel doesn't turn anything on. That was the case in our '04 Jeep Rubicon. We'd insert the key to unlock the steering and nothing activated electrically. So, we never had a battery problem.

But, in the case of our '11 CRV, when the key was inserted and turned to unlock the steering, many sub-systems were activated. So, Honda wants you to pull a certain fuse to eliminate battery draw while the vehicle is in tow. Well, pulling and re-inserting that fuse sucked dearly. So, I installed the "Charge line" from the coach to the toad, and cured that battery drain issue. We'd tow for hours and hours and that Honda would start up like it had 4 batteries in it. Hope this helps you understand why some have a dead battery and some don't.

Oh, and some have a battery drain due to the auxiliary braking system attaching to the toads electrical system. We've always used the Ready Brake and it has no such attachment to the toads electrical system.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Not necessarily. Just depends on what pins are on the plug. A cheap (<$10) voltmeter at Harbor Freight would tell you if one of those pins were +12V. If so, you're in business, if not, you'll need to find a hot point on the RV. If you have to wire a hot feed on the RV, be sure to put a 20A fuse on the RV side too.
I'm using a 6 pin. 4 connectors for the ground, left turn, right turn (together they light for brake) and the running lights. Leaves me 2 pins not used. I chose the center pin for 12 v (+). Instead of fuses, which can burn out when there is a large current difference between batteries, (one low charge, or during starting engine) I use a couple of auto resetting circuit breakers, one near each battery in toad and RV. I also don't see why I need a 'toad charger' or some other circuitry to do what batteries, alternators, and voltage regulators already do.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Auto-Re...FYEDOgodHkAA-Q

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad