RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
NXR

Deciding when it makes sense to tow a car?

Would people please share what their general criteria is for deciding when to tow a car and when not to? Is it the duration of the trip, miles from home, how rural or what?

I'm buying my first Class A (38') and trying to decide when it makes sense, assuming I plan on not leaving the space. Right now I'm thinking that single-stop trips of a week or less do not make much sense to tow a car but I'd prefer a more informed opinion.

I could dolly my current car but I know people who say it's a real hassle. A half-hour to set up and a half-hour to tear down, sucks to do it in the rain, plus you need to stop every few hours in the first part of the trip to check that the straps are still tight. Then there's the whole "can't back up at all" thing, needing a camping space of adequate size for the RV and the car, as well as stashing the dolly at home and on the road, etc.

Thanks,

Ray

NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

Deciding when it makes sense to tow a car?

Having a car available is a real advantage. We enjoy driving around at our destination to see the countryside, purchase groceries, do laundry, go out to eat, etc.
Another reason to tow is if your RV is disabled. Having other means of transportation gives you more options.
When camping within 25 miles of home, we would drive the car separately. More than that we decided to tow a car.
Another option is to rent a car, or use Uber. Last winter a lady parked near us would rent a car for a day each week or so. She was full time in a class C by herself (and fur babies).
I also met a couple who are FT, that drive their BlueBird weekly to do shopping, etc.
We plan on taking several 60 to 90 day trips each year. We will tow on those trips.
So really, it is your preference. Enjoy!

Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We take it all the time. It's like a lifeboat if you have a mechanical issue.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #4

Where the RV goes the TOAD goes, period. On the few occasions I broke my own rule, I regretted it.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
1 day or 3 weeks we always have the toad. Not towed 100% of time as my wife or myself may leave early and meet at destination or she has been known to stay a day extra when visiting our girls at college.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Would people please share what their general criteria is for deciding when to tow a car and when not to? Is it the duration of the trip, miles from home, how rural or what?

I'm buying my first Class A (38') and trying to decide when it makes sense, assuming I plan on not leaving the space. Right now I'm thinking that single-stop trips of a week or less do not make much sense to tow a car but I'd prefer a more informed opinion.

I could dolly my current car but I know people who say it's a real hassle. A half-hour to set up and a half-hour to tear down, sucks to do it in the rain, plus you need to stop every few hours in the first part of the trip to check that the straps are still tight. Then there's the whole "can't back up at all" thing, needing a camping space of adequate size for the RV and the car, as well as stashing the dolly at home and on the road, etc.

Thanks,

Ray
The time for having a toad is for when your daily driver becomes towable. I mean why not and just as long as we're talking four down here?
All the negatives will prove to be unfounded and you'll find that the toad get's used, once you have it and even though, you wouldn't have anticipated needing it before. However, we've went away for a weekend, without using it at all. So what???
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:36 PM   #7

If you get a dolley it is supposed to have brakes and break away. I have seen good deals on C.L. and F.B. classified. They go quick so you could prob sell quick if you go 4 down.put a light hitch on toad to pull dolley too. No plates required on dolley.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Sometimes we stay at a COE park about 15 miles away, and we tow the toad sometimes. Occasionally we've driven the toad there separately. Like the poster above, the coach rarely moves without the toad.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:39 PM   #9

We have both and I tow 4 down and almost always have the toad. Its easy and nice to have to look around the area .
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If my MH is on the road the toad is always hooked up.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Taking the toad criteria -
1. Location, is there something we might like to see or do that will require transportation?
2. Duration, Anything longer than the weekend we take the toad mostly for reason #1 but nice to have when you find out you didn't pack something and need to make a supply run.
3. Emergencies, Navigator is into week three of being a Grandmother and if needed she would drive all night to get home.
4. Lifeboat, haven't had a coach break down but the toad has needed work while on the road so this one hasn't worked out real well.

Dolly or acquisition of four down towable, it's a personal choice and I look at it financially. Used dolly's are out there and pop up on your local Craigslist. Next option is something used, low cost and reliable that can double duty as the daily driver. Keep in mind a dolly costs a lot less that a new to you towable plus the cost of a base plate and tow bar.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #12

I tow our Town & Country on an ACME dolly. It definitely does not take 30 minutes to set up and break down. I stop once after about 30 minutes to do a strap check and then check every time we stop for something else, fuel etc.

Everything sucks in the rain.

Generally, if we’re going somewhere longer than just an overnight we take it.

Buying the tow dolly was much more cost effective than spending more than double the cost of the dolly to set the van up to tow 4 down.

I don’t know what your experience towing is, but the shorter the trailer the harder it is to back up. Trying to back up a 12 foot car with a 38 foot motorhome is going to suck regardless of how it’s being towed.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #13

Everywhere. Its a lifeboat for when the coach breaks down.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:51 PM   #14

There are other options besides towing a car behind your MH. If a second person is going on the trip with you, then have them drive the car. If you travel alone, how about a moped or a elec bike. You can always try the MH w/o a toad to see if it works OK for your style and then add a toad anytime later.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow