Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Demco Aluminator Tow Bar

Okay, we got our "new to us" 2003 Winnebago 34.5 ft with two slides last summer. Hubby retired mid December. Bought 2009 Chevy HHR last month after verifying it can be towed four down.
We have shopped around for baseplate, tow bar, and braking systems.
We were decided on a Blue Ox baseplate, Demco Excalibar self stowing tow bar, and Unified Tow Brake system. Decisions made after much researching as we could, reading on here, and, of course, price.
Just phoned the dealer/installer to make an appointment and they offered us $250 less for the in store demo Demco Aluminator tow bar. We said yes, but now am wondering if that was a good choice.
The Excalibar is steel and rated for 10,000 pounds, the Aluminator is aluminum and rated for 6500 pounds. the HHR curb weight is 3208 pounds, GVRW is 4173.
Sorry for being so long winded about this, but I am hoping for some reassurance that the weight rating will be okay for the aluminum tow bar to the car.
Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
KIX

Sounds to me like the Aluminator is the right bar for the weight you are towing. The Excalibar would do it too but would have been overkill for the weight of your toad
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you made the right choice. The aluminator should do just fine. Another nice thing about it is it only weighs 25 lbs. DW likes it because she can handle it herself if need be. Some times she does the hook-up while I'm doing the Brake Buddy.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks

Good to have some reassurance from the people that actually have used the product.
Thanks so much.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

I bought the excalibar years ago, based on the extra safety margin. I was overly cautious as my toad weighs in around 3500 lbs. The extra weight of the excalibar makes it difficult to handle, difficult to disconnect from the camper and then putting it somewhere to store. Not to mention a rebuild because of internal rust. After handling the aluminator at a local RV dealer, I believe you made the correct choice with the aluminator. Lightweight, no rust and easy to take on and off.
tomgagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #6

I do not have a Demco towbar, but have towed a 2009 HHR for 15,000 miles with a Roadmaster Sterling aluminum towbar (same weight rating as the Demco) with no problems. Prior to the HHR, we towed a 2007 Sonata about 20,000 miles with the same towbar. I think you will be in great shape with your Demco and the HHR (ours has been great).

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote