Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #1

Demco Kar Kaddy

I just purchased a used demco kar kaddy tow dolly it is steerable the wheels on it are made to turn but the plates for the car are stationary. I have attempted to get into demco website and it appears that the site is no longer active. I have a auto repair shop and would like to use the dolly for the shop it is not real wide. Does any one know if this can be used with out using the steer option it has a pin that locks it and keeps it from steering would it hurt anything to use it in the locked position with a car if i need to drag one back to the shop.I was able to get into the website today and may find the info I need there looks like it is an early version of the kar kaddy 3 with max body width of 76"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Demco Kar Kaddy

I have one of these but don’t use it with the MH any longer. I 4-down now. I also got on Demco’s site and looked at the manual. I couldn’t find anything about towing with/without the pin...BUT...I can give you my real life experience with that BLACK RUBBER COATED pin.

When using it before, I towed a Prius. The dolly always worked great. One day I was pulling the Prius up onto the dolly and FORGOT to pull the pin prior to pulling up. The pin hooked the cowling because the Prius is so low. Back off the pin and tore the cowling off.

Before loading I always looked the dolly over and all I can figure out is the BLACK RUBBER COATED pin didn’t stand out. I even went as far as writing the company and asking them to change the pin to be RED RUBBER COATED so it would stand out better.

BTW, the dolly wheels are made to turn so the car wheels are meant to stay stationary as in a locked steering wheel. My Prius did not lock so I had to tie the steering wheel down.

Long winded and didn’t really answer your question but hope it helps in some way.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
NXR

Their site is up for me: https://www.demco-products.com/

Ray
Old 09-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
I have one of these but don’t use it with the MH any longer. I 4-down now. I also got on Demco’s site and looked at the manual. I couldn’t find anything about towing with/without the pin...BUT...I can give you my real life experience with that BLACK RUBBER COATED pin.

When using it before, I towed a Prius. The dolly always worked great. One day I was pulling the Prius up onto the dolly and FORGOT to pull the pin prior to pulling up. The pin hooked the cowling because the Prius is so low. Back off the pin and tore the cowling off.

Before loading I always looked the dolly over and all I can figure out is the BLACK RUBBER COATED pin didn’t stand out. I even went as far as writing the company and asking them to change the pin to be RED RUBBER COATED so it would stand out better.

BTW, the dolly wheels are made to turn so the car wheels are meant to stay stationary as in a locked steering wheel. My Prius did not lock so I had to tie the steering wheel down.

Long winded and didn’t really answer your question but hope it helps in some way.
I did the EXACT SAME THING, except I held the cowling up while SWMBO backed it off.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Demco

I have a demco kar karry ss
Looking for serial number found a tag but can’t read the whole number is there anywhere else on them to look?
Mdfireman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdfireman45 View Post
I have a demco kar karry ss
Looking for serial number found a tag but can’t read the whole number is there anywhere else on them to look?
I do not know the answer however your question triggered a memory. Our driving instructor suggested we engrave the VIN of our dolly somewhere on the frame. He had a friend who had one stolen and when it was located he was unable to prove it was his because the thief had removed the VIN sticker.

Ray
Old 09-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephratah View Post
I just purchased a used demco kar kaddy tow dolly it is steerable the wheels on it are made to turn but the plates for the car are stationary. I have attempted to get into demco website and it appears that the site is no longer active. I have a auto repair shop and would like to use the dolly for the shop it is not real wide. Does any one know if this can be used with out using the steer option it has a pin that locks it and keeps it from steering would it hurt anything to use it in the locked position with a car if i need to drag one back to the shop.I was able to get into the website today and may find the info I need there looks like it is an early version of the kar kaddy 3 with max body width of 76"
If the steering wheel is locked you need the steering on the dolly If you can unlock the steering and the car can be towed and able to steer it self you can pin the dolly But not all can be I have a 2018 impala with no steering lock the first time I tried to tow the steering would not follow it has electric steering this was a trip around the block so I unpin the dolly steering and seat belt the steering wheel straight. My demco is a older one that was narrow and worked good for my G6 but the impala was wider, I cut the dolly in the middle inserted heavy square tubing welded it back together and widened it and lengthed the tie rod and struts.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:27 AM   #8

thanks for the info I did not see any reason it could not be left pinned with steering unlocked as there are dollies built that have to pivot feature
Old 09-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephratah View Post
thanks for the info I did not see any reason it could not be left pinned with steering unlocked as there are dollies built that have to pivot feature
Removing the pin to pull a car is the way it was designed to work. If you want to leave the pin in and pull it that way, there is a much lighter and cheap dolly intended to work that way.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:03 AM   #10

The comment from the Powells if you read the post when I first posted you will see that I am referring to using dolly for my auto repair shop and towing a car that is a little wider and leaving the wheels pinned would cause damage to a customers vehicle When I tow my Scion behind the MH I will leave unpinned
Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #11

I'm sorry I tried to help...