Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Demco tow bar to jk d hook

I have a 2016 wrangler jk with a custom front bumper...

do they make a adapter to go from the demco to the D hook on the custom bumper???

I know that smitty built makes a D hook tow bar.. but those are a PITA to hook up by yourself...

and I already have the demco tow bar

thanks for responding

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is this what you are looking for?

Warrior Products 865 - Warrior Products Tow Bar D-Ring Adapter Brackets - Quadratec

http://blueox.com/products/tow-bar/b...-road-adapter/

Which custom bumper do you have? I have the PSC Brawler Lite and I am in the same boat. I think my D ring tabs are too high so I have been looking at the Currie Tow plate. It replaces the plastic air dam and it appears to mount under the bumper (it does for the PSC anyway).

Amazon.com: Currie Enterprises CE-9033JK Tow Bar Mounting Kit for Jeep JK: Automotive

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would be very careful about hooking a tow bar to D-ring points. Unless they are on a plate bolted directly to the frame they are subject to side stresses and can eventually break loose. Normally, they are only welded to 3/16" steel and are not tied into the frame other than through the framework of the bumper. The only bumpers I am aware of that are recommended for direct tow bar attachment are the RockHard and the LoD which have grade 8 bolts through their attachment plates directly into the frame tabs. I use a Demco base plate mounted below a custom bumper and the Currie base plate mentioned is also a great alternative. See below for one D-ring failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRingFailure.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	127211  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
This is what I used with a Demco bar and aftermarket bumper. The tabs on the tow bar end of the adapter are very wide so I used a stack of washers to take up slack. I thought the D ring end was a little sloppy so I welded a second D ring next to the one manufactured into the bumper and use a longer hitch pin to go through both D rings. Now it is ridiculously solid and works great. I am very happy with this but it wasn't a simple solution for my bumper.

I had to buy a 6" riser hitch for our 2" lift jku on 33's.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSide View Post
This is what I used with a Demco bar and aftermarket bumper. The tabs on the tow bar end of the adapter are very wide so I used a stack of washers to take up slack. I thought the D ring end was a little sloppy so I welded a second D ring next to the one manufactured into the bumper and use a longer hitch pin to go through both D rings. Now it is ridiculously solid and works great. I am very happy with this but it wasn't a simple solution for my bumper.

that's about what I have 1.5 spring level lift on 33.s
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2683.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	127254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	127255  

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	127256  
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Is this what you are looking for?

Warrior Products 865 - Warrior Products Tow Bar D-Ring Adapter Brackets - Quadratec

BX88296 Off Road Adapter | Blue Ox

Which custom bumper do you have? I have the PSC Brawler Lite and I am in the same boat. I think my D ring tabs are too high so I have been looking at the Currie Tow plate. It replaces the plastic air dam and it appears to mount under the bumper (it does for the PSC anyway).

Amazon.com: Currie Enterprises CE-9033JK Tow Bar Mounting Kit for Jeep JK: Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I would be very careful about hooking a tow bar to D-ring points. Unless they are on a plate bolted directly to the frame they are subject to side stresses and can eventually break loose. Normally, they are only welded to 3/16" steel and are not tied into the frame other than through the framework of the bumper. The only bumpers I am aware of that are recommended for direct tow bar attachment are the RockHard and the LoD which have grade 8 bolts through their attachment plates directly into the frame tabs. I use a Demco base plate mounted below a custom bumper and the Currie base plate mentioned is also a great alternative. See below for one D-ring failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSide View Post

thanks for all the posts...
so now i'm confused...

so it would be better to get the demco mount?? and not use the D ring mount???
Old 05-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
so the demco plate will work under the bumper?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
so the demco plate will work under the bumper?
It worked under mine without any problem, but there was maybe 1/16" to spare between the two. The Demco bolts behind the frame tabs and through the side of the frame drop for the lower bar. I thought I might have to elongate the holes to drop the base plate down a bit, but the bumper fit above it without modification. I did add the custom bumper after the base plate. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the bottom your bumper doesn't sit any lower than mine so it may work without any mods. I don't know how the Currie base plate attaches to the frame, but it might work also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12Wrangler-PortAransas.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	127265  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #9

Well,
Every Jeep toad owner with an aftermarket front bumper and lift or no lift, will have to make their own choice on this. We know probably around, oh, maybe 50 or more Jeepers that tow their Jeeps utilizing the recovery tabs on the front bumper and, not one of them has ever had any issues. Not one break, not one crack in any weld, not one bumper failure, no metal fatigue, no lost jeeps, no break-a-ways, no deaths, nothing.

Mine is the dual tab setup on each side. A very close friend has the single tab on each side. His Blue Ox adapter set was right at $250.00. Mine was right at $49.00 to adapt my Blue Ox Aladdin to our bumper. I thought I'd have to make them but, I cruised on down to Mojave Hitch and Welding and, they had them in stock, yahooooooo!. I don't mind making stuff like that but, for $49.00, it was a no brainer. Good luck on whatever you chose.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow