Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Been using the Demco Aluminator and base plate since 2008, no problems, works great.

Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Demco bar and Demco base plate...

But I can't get comfortable with the hitch pin covers...
they slip on too easily and seem like they would blow off so I leave them off...

but on a Wrangler, the pins look like they belong - Who need tow hooks when stuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arlington-20150513-00984.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	104088   Click image for larger version

Name:	HitchPic.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	104089  

Old 08-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #17

I am having a Blue-OX system installed the first week of September. I decided to choose a local RV repair shop due to reputation and this one doesn't sell the Demco, so I am fine with the Blue-OX, Also installing an SMI Stay In Play on the toad.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #18

I am totally happy with my Demco setup. I decide to go Demco all the way. I have a Dominator towbar, baseplate, wiring harness and the Sentry Deflector. I had to use longer safety cables and a 4" drop receiver. I tow a 2013 CR-V. Happy camping.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #19

I've used the Demco Aluminator for over 13 years. Never had a problem. Two years ago it was beginning to show some age, the rubber external seals were drying; so I called Demco to see if I could get some new rubber parts. I was told sure, but if I would send the towbar back to the factory they would factory recondition the whole thing and ship it back. without charge. I only had to pay shipping ONE way. So for about $50 in shipping the bar was returned all shinny and new like. It was out of my hands for only a little more than a week. What service!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #20

We also inherited a Demco Excalibar when We purchased our Dutch Star. The PO had towed a Honda Fit for 5 years and we got the tow bar and base plate. We purchased a Honda Element, and went with the Demco base plate. A snap to install, and very well made. We've towed with absolutely no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Demco tow bar and base plate.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #21

Demco all the way. Baseplate on 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Perfect fit. Covers seem loose but haven't lost one yet. Only 13000 miles on it so far though. Tow bar light as a feather, easy to connect/disconnect. Used a Demco wiring harness, plug and play. No splicing at the rear lights. Have a Kar Kaddy 460 SS tow dolly as well. Demco made a decision in two hours to replace my first one with my current one after I discovered several bad welds after two years of use. Was upgraded to disc brakes and a beefier front end. Demco service is the best ever. Twice, while traveling I've had reason to have some of their product drop shipped to me. Outstanding customer service. I'm a customer for life!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've towed a GMC Terrain for 4 years with a Demco Commander and no problems. I didn't need to turn it over it was perfectly aligned out of the box. The one thing I don't like versus the Blue Ox is that the BO has rubber gaiters over the telescoping arms. I clean the arms regularly and lube with silicone spray but they get pretty grubby back there. I tilt them downwards and wash off with engine degeaser once a year and they have stayed looking pretty good and no sloppiness in the them. I havn't used any other brand than Demco so can't really compare. I have been very satisfied with the Commander and ease of operation. Get a well anchored electrical connection at the dingy and use the curly cord and support arm on the tow bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I have searched for comments on the Demco Line of Tow bars and haven't found many comments so I will throw this out there.

Just bought my DW a 13 CRV and with that vehicle in the stable we will switch from dolly towing to four wheels down.

I have looked at videos and reviews on the various tow bar setups and see that Roadmaster and Blue Ox have a good following but I really liked the design of the Demco line especially that you can make up some of the height differences in the tow bat itself.

Has anyone had any experiences with the Demco line both good and bad?

I am not sure I like the plate set up as much as Blue Ox.

Any comments welcome.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #23

I just ought an older excalibar on e-bay. I downloaded manual from Demco. Something isn't quite right. Instruction is to back up slowly until red bands on each leg are not. Is able. That's impossible as the red bands are already out beyond the larger tube. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskimmer View Post
I just ought an older excalibar on e-bay. I downloaded manual from Demco. Something isn't quite right. Instruction is to back up slowly until red bands on each leg are not. Is able. That's impossible as the red bands are already out beyond the larger tube. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks
If the red bands are visible after you hook up, you are good to go. The Demco Excalibar comes with a release tool that allows the telescoping inner piston to compress for storage, or to adjust the piston during hookup. Typically you drive the towed vehicle (toad) up to the tow vehicle, position the tow bar toward the toad with the pistons compressed but within close proximity to the toad, and extend the inner pistons so that you can insert the locking pins into the tabs on the toad, at this time one or more of the red engagement indicators may be hidden, indicating that the bar is not locked.

Then you either back up the toad slightly, or, with a person in the toad, and one in the tow vehicle move the tow vehicle slowly forward in order to extend the inner piston, allowing the lock to engage. Driver in toad may lightly apply brakes in order to assist in the procedure. He or she may also assisting by steering slightly in the direction of the non engaged piston, helping it to extend and lock. You will hear or feel a "clunk" when it engages.

The hook-up is more difficult if hitching up at an angle, or if you are on a down hill slope, easier on an uphill slope, and when exactly aligned behind the tow vehicle. Hope this helps!

Note: Contact Demco, if you send your tow bar to them, they will go through it, inspecting and replacing seals etc, free of charge including shipping back to you! What a deal!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #25
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The red bands on my Aluminator disappear when the mechanism locks into place. I use silicon lube on mine a couple of times a year and take them apart for inspection and lube every couple of years.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #26

bskimmer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did get it connected and locked. Actually driving off in rv did the trick. Not sure if that will be reqired everytime, but I am happy with it. Thanks again.
The arms are quite stiff so I loosened the nut a bit. At the red 60ft lbs they wouldn't move at all.

Tags
tow