Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #15

After a few conversations with Demco that said they do not "recommend" electric brakes with their units because "unequal pulling or drag on an electric brake would make the unit to steer off to one side". BS, as a surge brake could drag also. The only concern that I had was the backing plate had the holes drilled in a diamond pattern (N,S,E,W) instead of two on the left and two on the right in a box pattern. This caused my brakes to be cocked 45 degrees, but dosn't seem to be a problem. I got my drums and brakes from Northern Hydraulics. And for what it's worth surge brakes are not allowed on commercial vehicles(I know we're talking RV here) in many states. And yes I know most rental outlets only use surge brakes as it does not require an electric controller. So yes, you can but electric brakes on a Demco.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnold View Post
After a few conversations with Demco that said they do not "recommend" electric brakes with their units because "unequal pulling or drag on an electric brake would make the unit to steer off to one side". BS, as a surge brake could drag also. The only concern that I had was the backing plate had the holes drilled in a diamond pattern (N,S,E,W) instead of two on the left and two on the right in a box pattern. This caused my brakes to be cocked 45 degrees, but dosn't seem to be a problem. I got my drums and brakes from Northern Hydraulics. And for what it's worth surge brakes are not allowed on commercial vehicles(I know we're talking RV here) in many states. And yes I know most rental outlets only use surge brakes as it does not require an electric controller. So yes, you can but electric brakes on a Demco.
I'm gettting ready to go look at a Demco Kar Kaddy on Sunday that does not have brakes, but I will be adding them. The Dolly is $475 and the brake kits are about $250 still less than $1000 for a Kar Kaddy with brakes is a good deal in my book.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbutton View Post
I'm gettting ready to go look at a Demco Kar Kaddy on Sunday that does not have brakes, but I will be adding them. The Dolly is $475 and the brake kits are about $250 still less than $1000 for a Kar Kaddy with brakes is a good deal in my book.
Adding electric brakes would certainly be easier and cheaper than surge brakes on an existing dolly.
Our KK-460 came with surge brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebear View Post
Thanks guys.
Looking like I might have to get a different dolly.
I emailed Demco and they came back with No, you can't add electric brakes. We only offered surge brakes with that model. This was from the sales department. Not a word about yes you can add surge brakes and we offer a kit or the parts to do it and the cost is! So I had to email them for the third time and spell it out for them that I want to add brakes. Next will be a call to straighten something and someone out if the reply is not detailed.

I think the trick is to find the right spindles and and brake setup.
Gonna check around. Nice dolly, 2004, all galvinized, tows good and best of all I only paid $300 for it. Guy had to move to ca next week and was selling all kinds of stuf. Had great job transfer. Anyway I will post later what I find.

232 Signal Co
Supporting 5th Special Forces
1965-66 RVN Xuan Loc
Pinebear,
Did you end up with sucess on your dolly?

I bought a used one on Sunday and I would like to try and add the brakes, but before I order what I think is the right set, I was wondering if you had and problems.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Tarnold,

I am thinking that my dolly is set like yours with the 4 bolt holes set up at N E S W, diamond pattern.

Did you have any issues with your mod that I should be aware of before I purchase the parts?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #20

Just make sure the distance between the studs on the backing plate and the N,S,E,W holes are the same distance. Took about a half a day including wiring. Think I had a hard time getting to one of the nuts on the backing plate because of the cant, but worked it out.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Just make sure the distance between the studs on the backing plate and the N,S,E,W holes are the same distance. Took about a half a day including wiring. Think I had a hard time getting to one of the nuts on the backing plate because of the cant, but worked it out.
So i finally got around to pulling the wheel and I'm stuck with either buying the surge brakes, piece by piece (hubs, brake assembly, hoses, actuator) from Demco or going without.

The Hub that is on the trailer is a sealed unit like this one
U-Haul Trailer Hub Spindle complete assembly New Depart | eBay

It does not have a Square bolt pattern to mount the hub, and it is not in a diamond pattern.

I was considering modifying a spindle with a backing plate already mounted but I thought better.

While I got a good deal on this dolly, and I like the quality, I find it a bit disheartening that I will not be able to simply bolt on a set of brakes for less than $800.

Tags
brakes, dolly