Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Details of pulling a car carrier trailer behind MH

I am just about to take delivery of my first motor home this week and I am looking for some advice about towing a car hauler. The MH is a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution with a 10,000 lb tow rating as long as I use a weight distributing hitch.

First of all, I don't want to get into a toad versus trailer discussion. I have decided to go trailer because the car I want to take is not flat towable, I also have a tractor to haul and I would like to be able to tow round bales of hay. (I can always change my mind later).

So what car hauler trailer features should I be looking for? I have seen some with metal decks and others with wood planks. I have also seen some with permanently mounted ramps that store in the up position and I have seen tilt trailers where the whole deck tilts. I will be towing a 2014 subaru outback (CVT) or a 2015 VW jetta TDI (DSI transmission).

I believe I should be looking at a 18' trailer with dual axles and electric brakes. I am concerned about putting thousands of miles on the trailer (most of them look fairly light duty). So I will be looking for something a little higher in quality.

Does anyone have any experience to share with me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
I am just about to take delivery of my first motor home this week and I am looking for some advice about towing a car hauler. The MH is a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution with a 10,000 lb tow rating as long as I use a weight distributing hitch.

First of all, I don't want to get into a toad versus trailer discussion. I have decided to go trailer because the car I want to take is not flat towable, I also have a tractor to haul and I would like to be able to tow round bales of hay. (I can always change my mind later).

So what car hauler trailer features should I be looking for? I have seen some with metal decks and others with wood planks. I have also seen some with permanently mounted ramps that store in the up position and I have seen tilt trailers where the whole deck tilts. I will be towing a 2014 subaru outback (CVT) or a 2015 VW jetta TDI (DSI transmission).

I believe I should be looking at a 18' trailer with dual axles and electric brakes. I am concerned about putting thousands of miles on the trailer (most of them look fairly light duty). So I will be looking for something a little higher in quality.

Does anyone have any experience to share with me?
I have a 20' Fastline tilt bed trailer that I use to haul vehicles on ( usually my 1960 Howe-Willys Fire truck). I like a wood deck because of the versatility and non slide surface as opposed to steel which is very slippery especially when damp. Another option you should consider is a 12 Volt electric recovery winch mounted on the front of the trailer to pull the vehicle on rather than drive it on(much safer!). The other options that would be nice are a 12 Volt trailer jack and a 12volt tilt mechanism (as I get older...) and a tire pressure monitoring device (i like the Doran 360 Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems for Truck Fleets from Doran )

I have pulled the trailer with vehicles as large as an F250 Crew cab truck(barely fit) to combination loads of vehicles and stuff, as well as firewood Ive been thousands of miles with only 1 flat tire on the trailer. the Doran 360 let me know before the tire was completely flat.

Trekgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, Ed. Hadn't thought about the slippery part. I do think the electric winch is a good idea. Do you have a battery on the trailer for that?

Monty
Old 10-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Unless you have a need for 18' of trailer a 14' would be enough for the cars you specified. No use hauling around more than you need.
I suggest brakes on both axles.
A wood deck is usually lighter than a steel deck.

FYI, I have found that the wood will deteriorate in a couple of years if not protected with some type of coating. I am on my second wood deck trailer in 12 years and have found that truck Bed Liner seems to be the best coating for the wood. I have used high end deck treatment which only lasted about a year. I am at 7 years now with the Bed Liner and it's still good.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dennis,

Thanks. i have not seen any 14' car haulers advertised, but I could certainly drop to 16' and save a little money. Good pointer on Bed Liner material for the coating. Would be non-skid too.

Monty
Old 10-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Used to use a trailer to tow a 4x4. After owning it for several years, I would do these things:

Get brakes on at least 1 axle. Electric brakes are less $$ than surge brakes and are required in many places if the trailer and load exceed 1500lb. 2 of the typical 3500lb axles are needed to tow most any auto, so brakes on both axles is best.

Make it Flatbed v the two tracks for tires. The center cargo section can be lighter weight deck material, but leaving the gap in the middle of normal car carriers makes it less useful.

If using wood decking, make it out of the synthetic wood or use redwood planks to reduce water/age damage.

Mount a 12v winch to the front of the deck to aid loading.

Mount a good size battery to the front to run the winch and allow the use of a brake break-away device.

Ramps that pivot and stay on the rear of the deck are much easier to use than removable ramps.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 batteries 1 small gell cell for the break-away for the trailer, and an automotive for the winch.
Trekgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

Another item for consideration is what type suspension the trailer has. We put lots of miles on our car trailers, and are now on our 4th one. The first 3 had traditional leaf spring and shackles, and every one had sufficient wear that the spring mounting parts needed replacement. Our current Featherlite Aluminum trailer has rubber suspension and no spring hardware to wear out.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with leaf springs on a trailer, or wooden trailer decks. However, if the budget allows, an aluminum trailer is lighter, usually has higher quality components, and never has to be painted.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
A well built alum trailer such as the feather lite would be my choice, full alum deck and then I would have it sprayed with linex bed liner to not have to worry about slippery condition. Brakes on both axles would be a huge plus, 16" tires and wheels will pay for it's self in not having to hassle with tire problems. Also the 16" tires will give you a much larger choice in tires. The winch to pull car up rather than trying to drive on the trailer is so much safer and easier. Make sure the trailer is wired as to charge the winch battery from the motor home.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
KIX

Make sure the trailer fenders aren't going to prevent you from getting lout of your loaded car.
Agree with others that aluminum is definitely the way to go.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #11

Featherlite trailer details:

The full bed is made from aluminum extrusions having little lenthwise upstanding ribs with sawcuts to provide tire grip, so bedliner is probably not necessary .

The fenders are easily removable, so no issue with door clearance.

Decent tires- not "China Bombs" (although the original tires on my 2003 Featherlite were Goodyear Marathon made in New Zealand)

Featherlites are not cheap, but are a high quality trailer with nice details like rubber spacers between steel and aluminum parts to reduce electrolytic corrosion potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Make sure the trailer fenders aren't going to prevent you from getting lout of your loaded car.
Agree with others that aluminum is definitely the way to go.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1st. get one with axles "UP" one load rating than you ever expect to use
if it comes with 3500LB axles..opt for 5200lb instead, the cost is less than 200.00 on Dexter
2nd ALUM is great, but costly, choose what your budget likes.
I have a 18 steal deck diamond plate with a small beaver tail drop, and alum ramps
3rd buy alum ramps.

4th strap each tire to the deck with e-track or similar..makes changing vehicles a piece of cake tie down wise
5th carry a GOOD spare
6th brakes on all axles, no single axle brake setups. the additional four wheel brake setup comes in very handy in those panic stops.
7th 16" wheels give you a very wide range of available tires and load ratings.
8th....usa tires, no texstars or other explosions waiting to happen.
i carry one set of springs, for some reason the roads in texas have beat the crap out of my set up a few times..
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I do both--I've installed an electric brake controller on our Palazzo so I can tow any car on my 2 axle aluminum trailer. I also have a 2003 Honda CR-V prepared to be a 'toad'. Trailer is nice in that you can back up if required. The 'toad' is nice if you want quick hitch/unhitch and need to take up less space in campground.

The aluminum trailer weighs about 1,200 lb, has tandem 3,500 lb 'torflex' axles, brakes on both axles, uses the ramps as a gravel shield, and...tows like a dream. I don't use a weight distributing hitch on this setup. I've only towed my BMW (total about 4,700 lb) and daughters Honda Fit like this. I keep about 12% on the tongue. The trailer has a GTWR of 7,000 lb.

I bought the trailer directly from R-n-R trailers in Three Rivers, Michigan in 2009. Nice folks and a good deal.

I now use 15" Maxxis tires. The originals were just fine, but I felt they 'aged out'. I stepped up to "D" rating and 65 psig to get extra confidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_on_Trailer-2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	110168  
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #14

Tighten your sway control mh will drive better than without