Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Diesel toad

When I get ready to replace my current toad, I am looking for a similar size SUV but powered by a diesel. Looking for reliability, mileage, and being able to use one fuel instead of both gas and diesel. What is available out there with diesel power?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Jeep grand Cherokee is coming in a diesel!2013
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Right now I am running about 3500 pounds dry weight and get 25 mpg highway. So I would be looking for around 30 mpg with a diesel to compare (with the premium price for diesel). And awd or 4wd would be nice. Why aren't there relatively small SUV's out there that are running diesel?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Right now I am running about 3500 pounds dry weight and get 25 mpg highway. So I would be looking for around 30 mpg with a diesel to compare (with the premium price for diesel). And awd or 4wd would be nice. Why aren't there relatively small SUV's out there that are running diesel?

ronspradley
I think it's a U.S. thing. I know auto diesels made by GM in the '70's were very unreliable and had all the downsides, noise, vibration, stink, etc. I've had a diesel car since 2000 and still like it, 45 mpg. Had a diesel van in the '80s and it got 30 mpg all day.

Here in Australia I see more diesels than 'petrol' in cars, vans, and trucks. I know it's also true in Europe. I don't think our emissions requirements are the problem, except maybe Calif, I think it's the old idea that they're smelly, hard to start in Winter, etc. I've never had an issue in Ohio winters or anywhere else. Diesels have reliability, lots of torque, and little maintenance except oil and filter changes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

Jeep sells the wrangler all over the world in a diesel model. Made right here in the good ol USA. But for some strange reason we can't buy one here! Ford sells the new ranger pickup in a diesel or gas. We get neither model here. Go figure. I think Toyota sells their small pickup with a diesel in other markets also. And their small SUVs. In Europe about 80% of all vehicles are diesel. Us Americans love our gasoline and we seem to be stuck with it. Volkswagen does sell several diesel cars and some SUVs here though.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #6

The other problem you have is whether you can tow these 4 down, particularly if you want AWD. A number of magazines are complaining that the newer models are being sold with automatic transmissions only. The Porsche Cayenne Diesel looks nice though!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

Mazda is supposedly coming out with a small diesel SUV in the next few months but who knows if it will be towable or not.

The Audi Q7, not towable. The VW diesel Touareg not towable. VW Tiguan TDI may be coming but will not be towable. The diesel Subaru Forester was once rumored to be coming but they decided against it.

Yeah, not many choices ...if any at all. We may consider the diesel Grand Cherokee when it comes out but we'd like something lighter.

We are seriously considering a VW Jetta Sportwagen (TDI diesel). However, we'd really like to have AWD. We may buy one anyway. It can be towed 4-down with a manual transmission.

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Jeep sells the wrangler all over the world in a diesel model. Made right here in the good ol USA. But for some strange reason we can't buy one here!
What is the deal with that?? I would absolutely love a Wrangler in diesel!! It makes no sense to me
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #9

The ford escapes with the Ecoboost engines have diesel torque and fuel mileage. We have the 1.6 litter Eco and it runs and pulls at low rpms like a diesel. I have not driven the 2.0 Ecoboost that is also available and has 100 FPT more then the 1.6. These little things are turbocharged, but not diesel. If you really want a diesel, ram, gm, and ford all have good diesel heavy duty pickups.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
What is the deal with that?? I would absolutely love a Wrangler in diesel!! It makes no sense to me
I used to spend a lot of time on the wrangler forum. Many of the jeepers there are lusting after the diesel wrangler. We may get one soon as the grand Cherokee is supposed to be coming in 13. They would probably share most of the same drive train. I like my gas wrangler and probably wouldn't get a new one anyway. But never say never.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jeep used to sell a diesel engine model around 2008(?). There was one on a used car lot here for a while, I wanted to go look but both our vehicles are paid off and I didn't want to start over.
Friend has had TDI's for years and just bought another one, he likes the torque.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

VW has a full line of diesel-powered vehicles. The Toureg and Jetta Sport Wagon are suvs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
VW has a full line of diesel-powered vehicles. The Toureg and Jetta Sport Wagon are suvs.
Can the Touareg now be towed???! That's great news. We'll have to check into that.

The general rule was that the "full line" of VW diesels can be flat towed as long as they have a manual transmission and FWD, i.e. the TDI Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Sportwagen, Passat (haven't seen a base plate for the new TDI, though). The Touareg has never been offered in a manual transmission so I'm surprised that it can now be towed. We're definitely excited about that!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Passat (haven't seen a base plate for the new TDI, though).

Correction: I see that Blue Ox now makes a base plate for the new Passat.

Tags
diesel, toad