Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Difference between base plates

I bought a used Motor Home and with it came a Roadmaster Falcon 5250 tow bar. It included a base assembly (part no. 910021-00). I think the previous owner towed a Honda Odyssey van.

I am buying a 2011 Ford Explorer to tow. I called Roadmaster and they told me two Bracket assemblies were available, either 4427-3 XL or 4427-3 MX. The guy at Roadmaster told me I could use the 4427-3 XL with the base assembly, but suggested I buy the MX and just not use the base assembly.

I looked online. The only difference between XL and the MX specs was the MX brackets listed
For motorhome-mounted tow bars

Can somebdy explain the difference to me? Why would you use one over the other? I have the base assembly. Why would I not use it. Or is it just something extra I have to hook up. Was it required for the Odyssey and optional with the Explorer? What is the difference between the XL and MX base plates?

I have agonized over what car to tow. Everybody has been helpful and I anxiouosly await the arrival of our Explorer. The MH also came with a Brake Buddy. That will be my next hurdle. We are retiring in 38 days, not that I am counting. You guys have been so helpful. I hope to meet some of you on the road one of these days. Thanks
Jim

Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

See the illustrations here:
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

The difference is mostly aesthetics - the MX is smaller, less obtrusive design. There is no advantage in using your old base unless the XL brackets are cheaper.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MX vs XL

What i undrstand is that the MX brackets do Not need the base assembly. You just hook up the two ends of the two ends of the tow bar, directly to the brackets. I assume that with the MX brackets the lac kof needing the base assembly will mean one more thing i don't have to hook up. Is that correct? It sounds to me that with the MX all I wil have to do is hook up two pins and naturally the electric but I will not need the base assembly. Or am I missing something?
Jim
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you don't use the base assembly, you lose the ability to use the quick connect cable holder. I found this out when I changed from my 4x4 Dodge to my 4x4 Nissan. I was able to unbolt the cable holder and mount it to the frame so I could still use it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That is correct. The Roadmaster MX is similar to the Blue Ox base plate in that the tow bar hooks directly to it and does not require the extra piece of gear.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote