Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #1

Okay....so I think we've narrowed down our TOAD purchase to a 2008 Honda Element or a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Since we're new to this, I've read as much as I can find about the Element towing since the jeep seems like a natural. Do we have to have a manual transmission on the Element? Can an automatic be towed, as with the Jeep? Do you have to run through the gear ratio every 60-100 miles when towing an Element? Why don't you have to do this with a jeep wrangler? I find all your information so EXTREMELY valuable!! Thank you for helping us in our search!! We plan on purchasing a Blue Ox towing system, and are unsure of the braking system to purchase. We welcome all of your opinions!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #2

Okay....so I think we've narrowed down our TOAD purchase to a 2008 Honda Element or a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Since we're new to this, I've read as much as I can find about the Element towing since the jeep seems like a natural. Do we have to have a manual transmission on the Element? Can an automatic be towed, as with the Jeep? Do you have to run through the gear ratio every 60-100 miles when towing an Element? Why don't you have to do this with a jeep wrangler? I find all your information so EXTREMELY valuable!! Thank you for helping us in our search!! We plan on purchasing a Blue Ox towing system, and are unsure of the braking system to purchase. We welcome all of your opinions!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
The Element can be towed, HOWEVER the 08 does not have the blessings of Honda MC to tow at all. The last year it was OK, I believe, was the 06. We have the 03 and it is so great to tow. Automatic, run through the forward gears, let it run at least three minutes in neutral and you're off!!
If you decide to tow the 08, I expect you may find yourself without a warranty if you have problems.

The Jeep? don't know anything except that I wish I had one.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SewBzzzy:
Okay....so I think we've narrowed down our TOAD purchase to a 2008 Honda Element or a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Since we're new to this, I've read as much as I can find about the Element towing since the jeep seems like a natural. Do we have to have a manual transmission on the Element? Can an automatic be towed, as with the Jeep? Do you have to run through the gear ratio every 60-100 miles when towing an Element? Why don't you have to do this with a jeep wrangler? I find all your information so EXTREMELY valuable!! Thank you for helping us in our search!! We plan on purchasing a Blue Ox towing system, and are unsure of the braking system to purchase. We welcome all of your opinions!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 4 wheel Drive Wranglers can be towed 4 down, auto or manual trans. There is a VERY complete thread on the Wrangler in this section of the board. The Wrangler, like many 4wd vehicles, has a transfer case that can be manually shifted into neutral. This way the transmission is not spinning while being towed. Vehicles that have to be started and run through the gears, etc every x miles have no such neutral position. The trans is spinning while being towed and not getting the proper lubrication without it's engine running.

I don't see the Element in the 2008 Motorhome magazine Guide to Dingy Towing, so it can not be towed 4 down. Remco may make some kind of kit for it but I personally would not buy a new vehicle for use as a toad that couldn't be used stock out of the box.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #5

Wow! So much valuabel advice in this forum! So we can purchase a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, automatic, and it can be manually shifted into neutral and flat towed, four down? Do you just put it in neutral.....or do you have to do something else? I'll look for that "complete thread". Is it possible to tow, four down, the MANUAL transmission 2008 Honda Element? What would be involved in towing that? Would you still have to run through the gears, etc.? Thank you!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #6

Go here for the thread related to the '07 and '08 Jeep Wrangler.