Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Difficulty disconnecting Dinghy from Blue Ox tow bar

On March 11th I had a Blue Ox tow package installed on my 2016 Jeep Partiot, hooked up my 2015 Fleetwood Bounder, and took off from San Antonio to Springfield, OR. The trip included boondocking on BLM lands in case this is pertinent.

Unless the Jeep is perfectly aligned with the Bounder on a perfectly flat surface, it is difficult and sometimes impossible to remove the pins that connect to tow bar to the Jeep unless I use a hammer to knock them out?

Is it normal to require a hammer to knock the pins out or am I doing something wrong?
rguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

On mine, if I cannot get them out with my hands, I start the toad engine and turn the wheels all the way one way or the other and the pins come out very easy. Make sure the toad is in park or the brake is on or both.
rvingrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

I have a Roadmaster Falcon all-terrain tow bar. It does not bind, and is always easy to disconnect. I know it is a lot of money, but there are non-binding tow bars available. Maybe you could sell the Blue Ox to someone.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

I have the same issue with my Roadmaster Falcon 2. What rvingrampa says is almost verbatim what Roadmaster says to do in the situation. Im new to towing as well and am learning very quickly.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Blue Ox setup with Aventa LX towbar. As does rvingrampa I just turn my steering wheel all the way both ways and then unhook. The pins come out with out any big problems. Try it see if it works for you.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingrampa View Post
On mine, if I cannot get them out with my hands, I start the toad engine and turn the wheels all the way one way or the other and the pins come out very easy.
Yep, that is the normal cure for my Blue Ox too on the rare occasions I have a problem. If only one lever will release, I loop the cable over it to hold it down when turning the wheels. After both levers are released, if a pin is still difficult it is normally because the toad is pulling backwards downhill. Then, with lock levers held down by the cables, I pull the toad forward an inch or two to ease the tension.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingrampa View Post
On mine, if I cannot get them out with my hands, I start the toad engine and turn the wheels all the way one way or the other and the pins come out very easy. Make sure the toad is in park or the brake is on or both.
The first lesson of towing 101. The bars should unlock easily and the pins should slide out by hand.
Turning the toad steering will take the binding out and free up the pins. I have had to disconnect in the midst of a full lock turn (that's a story in itself) and with DW turning the steering wheel side to side, everything unlocked just fine.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Am I missing something?? I don't have any problem with my Aventa but no one mentioned releasing the locking levers before trying to remove the pins??
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Am I missing something?? I don't have any problem with my Aventa but no one mentioned releasing the locking levers before trying to remove the pins??
RayJr, I have the Aventa as well but once in a while the locking levers will be in such a bind that I need to rotate the steering wheel.
rvingrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Check out this short video, I'm sure it will answer your question.

http://youtu.be/k9dg6z2wX0k
Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

So what is the proper way when disconnecting? Release the pins from the base plate connector first? Or unlock the bars first? I have a Roadmaster EZ5 base plate and Roadmaster 5250 towbar. I have yet to flat tow mine, but will next month.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remove pins. Then use levers to unlock arms so arms can be retracted.

On my BO bar sometimes the moving of the front wheels won't free up the pins. In this rare case I release the levers and tie them down with a bungee cord. Next start the toad and move it forward just a inch or two. Arms retract a bit and pins are now free to remove.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

On my BO bar sometimes the moving of the front wheels won't free up the pins. In this rare case I release the levers and tie them down with a bungee cord. Next start the toad and move it forward just a inch or two. Arms retract a bit and pins are now free to remove.
Thanks
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

Take a time out and view the video I posted. You should be unlocking the levers first and Then removing the pins.

Tags
blue ox, tow