Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dilemma with new Winnebago 37F and trailer

I am in need of some advise on a 2015 W 37F and a 18' cargo trailer.

Took my motor home in a weighted it, The unit had a full LP tank, 3/4 Fuel tank and 3/4 full water tank. The holding tanks are empty.

Weights on the scale no trailer
Front Axle 7560
Rear Axle 14640
Total 22200

Weights with trailer carrying 4 motorcycles, manual measure of Tongue weight is 650 LBS not on truck scale.

Front Axle 7160
Rear Axle 15640
Trailer axles 4400
Total 27200

MH has a 24000 lbs gross weight rating and a 30000 lbs combined rating
Front axle rating is 9000 LBS Rear Axle is 15500 lbs.

Winnebago hitch rating 5000 with 500 LBS Tongue weight and no equalizer hitch is recommended for their hitch.

My dilemma My Tongue weight is 150 LBS over and my rear axle is 150 over with out a full tank of fuel.

The trailer is 5200 LBS total weight

My biggest concern is if I use an equalizer hitch I can shift 150 LBS of weight off the hitch and rear axle of the MH and still be under the 30000 GCVW.

Has anybody had a similar condition and what did they do to fix it. Taking out one of the motorcycles really didn't change the reading much.

Thanks in Advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You are overweight. An equalizer hitch won't change the fact that you've got too much weight in the trailer and you've overloaded the rating of the hitch and suspension of the RV. Buy a bigger RV or reduce the number of toys you want to take with you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
bobder41, can you move the load on the trailer back some to unload the tonque to closer to 10% of the trailer weight (~500#}. You are under the GCWR of your coach.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
bobder41, can you move the load on the trailer back some to unload the tonque to closer to 10% of the trailer weight (~500#}. You are under the GCWR of your coach.
But that doesn't solve the issue of the 5,000# hitch limit and his trailer weighs 5,200#. When he hits a bump in the road, the lever action at the back of the RV will far exceed the static weight load on the system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Tow it - You will be a Corvair - Unsafe at any Speed
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Assuming you have the same chassis specs as the Adventurer 37F (you didn't mention your model) I hate to say this but...can you get along with 3 motor cycles? EDIT: You are probably correct that removing 1 motor cycle doesn't change too much but with some rebalancing of the other 3 it just might. You will still have issues with fuel and water as I talk about below.

There are so many issues you could be running into and having had a gasser I don't know you can do a darn thing about it.

1. As is, and as you noted, your rear axle is over its 15,500# rating. Some of that could be relieved by reducing your hitch weight.

2. Do you really think you will only run with 3/4 tank of fuel and 3/4 worth of fresh water? That would be extremely limiting IMHO.

3. When you weighed it, was it loaded for use with food, clothes and other items you will be carrying? Along with that, was it loaded with all the people/pets too?

4. Was your basement loaded for travel?

I don't mean to sound like you are an idiot because you may have already weighed it fully loaded and your numbers are realistic based on the fuel and water levels you mentioned. However, from experience it is not realistic to believe those fuel and water levels will be sufficient for some/many situations. That doesn't even take into account waste tanks that might get used when you have water but no sewer hook ups.

I wish I had some good news but I don't. It just seems you are caught in a catch 22. Trust me, been there, done that with my Winnebago Adventurer and now have a DP to prove it.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smaller Trailer! Tail wagging the Dog otherwise.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

check out Feather-lite trailers they maybe lighter. Dave
allegro1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It looks like I will have to pull 2 bikes off the trailer. Talked to Winnebago this morning and an equalizer hitch will not work on the unit either.
FYI
Basement, food was on board. When we travel the unit has 1/3 fresh water on board and I do not stay at places that do not have full hook ups. We use the MH for vacations and long weekends, not full timers yet.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Re.

According to Winnebago the main issue for the 5000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue limit is the slide outs at the rear of the coach and the frame extensions allow for to much flexing of the body causing stress cracks.

Tags
winnebago