Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #1

Dinghy

We are brand new to rv'ing and have a 2008 safari cheetah 40' diesel. We now need to get a vehicle to tow. I presently have a Rav 4 but cannot tow it with 4 wheels on the ground. This will also be my daily driver and I prefer a small to mid size SUV that has some comfort for longer trips. Does anyone have any experience in this area that they could share?
azsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #2

We just switched from a 2011 Ford Escape (transmission issues while towing) to a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Haven't towed yet but I my research indicates that the Jeep makes an excellant toad.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #3

You will get lots of opinions. Here is a free guide for a reference.

http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/dtg_2014.pdf
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I think you will get the info you need in this forum more quickly; the reason for the move.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
We tow a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. Don't even know it's back there.

Jerry
Old 10-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #6

What about the Honda CR-V ? I thought I had seen that listed as a toad and it has similarities to the RAV 4
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 4WD Jeep (any model) with a MANUAL transfer case that can be plced in Neutral makes a very nice towed.. And I've driven a late model jeep and it was a very nice small to mid size suv.. (The one I drove however was not towable, it had Full Time All Wheel Drive)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

The CR-V is towable 4-down up to the 2015 year model.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Look at vehicles that tow well and whose profits remain in America. Support our local economy if at all possible.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsr View Post
We are brand new to rv'ing and have a 2008 safari cheetah 40' diesel. We now need to get a vehicle to tow. I presently have a Rav 4 but cannot tow it with 4 wheels on the ground. This will also be my daily driver and I prefer a small to mid size SUV that has some comfort for longer trips. Does anyone have any experience in this area that they could share?
We towed nothing but jeep wranglers until my wife was hit by a drunk driver. Once she had recovered, the wranglers were a bit too bumpy for her back. We got a 2004 jeep liberty, which is a softer riding vehicle. Much better for longer trips, too. Been towing that since 2005, no problems at all. It has more storage space than the wranglers, but the sun roof does not compare to taking the hard top off a wrangler in the summer!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post
Look at vehicles that tow well and whose profits remain in America. Support our local economy if at all possible.
A worthy goal, but hard to determine which vehicle supports our economy better. So many vehicles that used to be easily identifiable as foreign made are now made in the US. I recently read that the Toyota Tundra, which is made in the US, has more parts that are made in US factories then the big 3 truck manufacturers - GM, Ford, and Dodge. The global economy has blurred the borders for manufacturing. Some people say the profits still go overseas, but the employees are Americans, and where does the profit go from the foreign made parts that traditional US companies like GM, Ford, and Dodge use to assemble their vehicles? We've used GM products almost exclusively during our lives, but I really don't know what percentage American made versus foreign made my vehicle choices have been.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote