Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Dinghy 6 Way Connector Small Disaster

OK, I goofed.

Over the winter, I got too close to a snow mound and broke the 6 way connector on the front of my Chevy Equinox. So now I'm finally getting around to replacing it. There is a 1" 12X14 self-drilling screw in each pin that holds the 6 way connector to the front of the base plate. They may have rusted inside - I snapped off the head of one of the 2 screws in question, and needless to say, I'm afraid to remove the other one for the same reason. Please see the photo below.

Does anyone know of a way to either remove the snapped screw, or know of a workaround? Any help would be very appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken_screw.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	96354  

T_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #2

Hmmmm, you have a problem...

I would start by applying and squirt of good penetrating oil (WD40 does Not Qualify) to each one a few times over a day or so.
In the meantime, you can buy Left Hand drill bits at Ace or similar store. Punch mark the center of the broken screw (as close to center as humanly possible) and then start drilling with your new LH Drill bit. I would use about a 1/8" bit. You will likely find the screw will start turning out on its own as you drill but if not, drill it out completely, run a thread tap (most likely a 10-32 tap) in the hole and you are in Bussines.
The unbroken one may come out normal with the penetrating oil but if not, you have the LH Drill Bit. Right?
Patience is the key. Good luck.

P/S if that goes South, you can always take your little Dremil Cutoff tool and cut the end off, drill and tap new holes and there you have it.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Appalachian Campers
not a big deal. Dennis almost said it, drill it out and re-tap for a larger screw.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:54 AM   #4
Use some penetrating oil multiple times on both. Gibbs is pretty good. They also make screw extractors that are like a LH drill bits. They are made to bite into the shank of the screw as you turn it counter clockwise. For the screw still in one piece, after you have applied the pentrating oil, you can wipe off the excess and apply some heat to the pin (dont go wild with the heat). The heat will make the pin and the hole expand, and may make it easier to remove the screw. If none of that works, it's time to drill out the screws and run a thread chaser or a tap through them.

Good Luck.
Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:48 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes and yes

Remove.. Carefully drill into the screw and use an e-z-out (Sears sells some nice ones) or just drill it out and put in a new self-tappign screw

Work around.. Slice a bit off the end of the mount post, or slice the mounting posts off completely and mount the connector by other means It need not be mounted to the posts Blue Ox provides.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote